Anyone want to play tech support for me?

TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
<div class="IPBDescription">DVD playback problem</div>Been having this on-off for god knows how long. Occasionally it won't happen, but its once again started and driving me nuts.

When playing a DVD or blu-ray on my LG GGC-H20L drive, randomly during playback the image will freeze, sound stop but the playpack timer will continue.

PowerDVD 11 can be shutdown, but will refuse to start for a few minutes. Windows Media Player (latest version on Windows 7) will close, but the exe will remain in the process window until the computer is shutdown. WMP will also stop games from running, and other intensive processes.

Now I've tried deleting and reinstalling the CCCP (codec pack), and my Nvidia drivers (I own a GTX 560Ti). Doesn't seem to help. Google searches don't appear to show this as a problem anyone else encounters either.

Any ideas what the cause of this could be? Thanks.

Comments

• NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Before going into more serious attempts, try downloading and installing VLC <a href="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html</a>

It has a rock solid reputation as far as video and audio playback is concerned.

Try to play your DVD with that. I don't usually watch movies straight from the DVD drive, but VLC can do that I believe.

If you are still encountering problems, I suggest ripping the contents of the DVD and then trying to play them from the hard drive.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058688:date=Jan 9 2013, 07:54 PM:name=NeonSpyder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeonSpyder @ Jan 9 2013, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Before going into more serious attempts, try downloading and installing VLC <a href="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html</a>

It has a rock solid reputation as far as video and audio playback is concerned.

Try to play your DVD with that. I don't usually watch movies straight from the DVD drive, but VLC can do that I believe.

If you are still encountering problems, I suggest ripping the contents of the DVD and then trying to play them from the hard drive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep still happens on VLC. Funny, I downloaded it last night when googling for a free blu-ray player. I don't think it has the latest DRM codes though as Total Recall (new one) didn't work.

But yeah, film just stopped an hour in. Same problem as WMP, I closed the program down but the exe remains.

To be honest I am thinking of just buying an actual blu ray player to avoid having all these software issues.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2058952:date=Jan 10 2013, 01:36 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Jan 10 2013, 01:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest I am thinking of just buying an actual blu ray player to avoid having all these software issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unless it's a hardware issue. Is it about an hour in, give or take a few minutes, each time?
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    If the playback breaks at the same time every viewing, the disc might be buggered.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited January 2013
    Sorry for delay, forgot to check. Thanks for responses so far.

Its any disc, and ranges from 5 minutes to an hour during playback. I can install software off discs, but film playback is just not possible on my system atm.