Soak Chamber (Kharaa)

DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
Might aswel make it a official suggestion by posting it here.
<all values in this idea are random and should be carefully balanced>

Gorge at the moment has clogs & hydras. I suggest to give them a 3rd one, a soak chamber.

Does:
* absorb x damage, either fixed or a %, instead of any structure or Kharaa in range. (eventually dies if not healed)
* scales with more hives to a certain max.
* stacks only to x amount.
* limited amount per gorge.
* As it would be a Area of Effect, to balance it more.. make it take x % additional damage when hit directly, if needed.

placing these well could mean the difference between 'stuff living a lot longer' or 'wasting some gorge res making these' if placed incorrectly. (In direct fire)

Comments

• MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Soak chamber = Clog w/ the abilities that the gorge can heal it?
  • john_bjohn_b Join Date: 2011-03-10 Member: 85608Members
    Ah yes, give the Gorges an alien bubble bath. Love it :D
  • KazelKazel Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175939Members
    I see an Onos rush becoming completely unstoppable with this(not even mentioning umbra).

I do feel that gorges need something to do in the mid game. Elsewhere there was a suggestion for a type of heal station that gorges would be able to stick on walls. They would then fill it with their heal spray allowing alien life forms to run up and be healed.

There would need to be a lot of balancing done, and I feel that it would definitely need to cost P.Res and be limited to just one. That being said I think it is a great idea and would strengthen the gorges support role while also giving them something more to do than stick clogs on doorways.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058677:date=Jan 10 2013, 11:16 AM:name=Kazel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kazel @ Jan 10 2013, 11:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see an Onos rush becoming completely unstoppable with this(not even mentioning umbra).

I do feel that gorges need something to do in the mid game. Elsewhere there was a suggestion for a type of heal station that gorges would be able to stick on walls. They would then fill it with their heal spray allowing alien life forms to run up and be healed.

There would need to be a lot of balancing done, and I feel that it would definitely need to cost P.Res and be limited to just one. That being said I think it is a great idea and would strengthen the gorges support role while also giving them something more to do than stick clogs on doorways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I do agree that it could be hard to balance.....I think it needs a fairly limited Area of effect such as a 1 metre radius.

This would allow for it to be used to help defend with but not much of an offensive weapon, a slow build and a maturation timer would also help avoid issues.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Soak as in, it soaks up damage.

It would NOT be a healable clog. A clog is something to clog up & block. It wont heal, it wont do anything.
    My suggested chamber would, unlike a clog, take aditional damage upon being hit. (So if you shoot it, it would do.. for example, twice the damage to the chamber).
    This would mean you need to position it around corners and under stuff, behind stuff etc to protect it from direct damage. Its Area of Affect would soak up (or direct) damage from other stuff to itself without the aditional damage penalty.

Lets asume in the example a soak % of 50%. Lets also asume direct penalty damage is 100%.
    So.. hit it directly for 100 damage + aditional damage = 200 dmg.
    hit the skulk standing next to it.. skulk takes 50 damage, soak chamber takes 50. (100 in total)

Yes this would cost pres and it would need to be balanced on every % to be both viable early and late game.

It would give gorges more to do, but balancing will be a pain. The direct damage part is there to prevent it from being to OP vs marines & will promote wise placement decisions by the gorge.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    I'm still kind of confused on what it's suppose to look like. Sounds like a shield of sorts.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Aaah, pure looks?

Well its supposed to mysteriously 'soak' up damage.
    But it also is very weak vs direct damage, so a shield would be stupid.

Coral is with the water theme. its very quick to damage, matching the suggested additional direct damage it takes, and coral takes stuff out the water (to eat). (ok, mine just absorbs damage but still)
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058878:date=Jan 11 2013, 02:24 AM:name=DC_Darkling)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DC_Darkling @ Jan 11 2013, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Soak as in, it soaks up damage.

It would NOT be a healable clog. A clog is something to clog up & block. It wont heal, it wont do anything.
    My suggested chamber would, unlike a clog, take aditional damage upon being hit. (So if you shoot it, it would do.. for example, twice the damage to the chamber).
    This would mean you need to position it around corners and under stuff, behind stuff etc to protect it from direct damage. Its Area of Affect would soak up (or direct) damage from other stuff to itself without the aditional damage penalty.

Lets asume in the example a soak % of 50%. Lets also asume direct penalty damage is 100%.
    So.. hit it directly for 100 damage + aditional damage = 200 dmg.
    hit the skulk standing next to it.. skulk takes 50 damage, soak chamber takes 50. (100 in total)

Yes this would cost pres and it would need to be balanced on every % to be both viable early and late game.

It would give gorges more to do, but balancing will be a pain. The direct damage part is there to prevent it from being to OP vs marines & will promote wise placement decisions by the gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes I see thie line your running here and think it has a lot of merit.

Its weak if fired at directly (takes double damage) but if another building/lifeform within its radius gets hit...this chamber takes half of the normal damage dealt.

This sounds like a very useful tool for a gorge and would be a nice new droppable structure for a res sink.
    I can see this also being of use in hive defense (especially after mid game) as will help stop skulks being 1 shotted within their vicinity.
    As aliens spawn as skulks this is much more useful than a crag (which assumes you survice and need to heal) as it increases your chances of living.

I am surprised this has so few responses as is a good idea, totally defensive and almost no apparent griefing ability.
    That was the point. it has pros and cons so it can be balanced for either side. :)
  • evil fluffyevil fluffy Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162627Members
    I would love something that can reduce damage my lovely hydras would take as well as anything in range plus anything to make gorge more fun and useful is a good idea to me. :D