Make commander dropped ammunitions fill both weapons

tjumeauxtjumeaux Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170075Members
<div class="IPBDescription">not only the one you're holding when you pick it up</div>As a commander right now you sometimes have to drop 2 or 3 ammo packs for someone to have his main weapon filled because the guy is holding his pistol or pickaxe and don't want to take his empty LMG in hands when fighting.
What would be even nicer is you can't pickup ammo unless you're a magazine short at least. Right now if you're standing on ammo and shooting you'll pick everything :/

Comments

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I would love this. Who the hell would hold the gun that doesn't have any bullets in it when the comm may not even respond to the ammo call in a timely fashion? I end up getting my pistol resupplied far too many times - although usually I ask for ammo before I run out completely, so is less of a problem in that regard.

It would also be good to have a visual indicator of who's asking for ammo, so if they're all in a big group I don't have to ask which one needs it, or just end up spamming ammo on all of them. You can usually tell who needs to be medpacked, as you can see the health bar, but you can't tell who needs ammo (correct me if I'm wrong - there may be an indicator and I've just forgotten - I haven't had a lot of sleep).
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Much rather have the ammopack fill the weapon with lower ammunition, otherwise it would be a bit OP having 1 pack fill both weapons, imo.
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057307:date=Jan 7 2013, 11:55 AM:name=Xnm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xnm @ Jan 7 2013, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Much rather have the ammopack fill the weapon with lower ammunition, otherwise it would be a bit OP having 1 pack fill both weapons, imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or just fill primary weapon. Who asks for pistol ammo anyway?
    (Also this belong in the Idea and Suggestions section)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2057319:date=Jan 7 2013, 01:17 PM:name=The Algerian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Algerian @ Jan 7 2013, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just fill primary weapon. Who asks for pistol ammo anyway?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    I ask for pistol ammo after I run out of pistol ammo
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Why not just have 1 ammopack give 4 clips of ammo?

Let's say you're full in the pistol, so you'll get 4 clips in the rifle. Or you've spend 2 in the rifle & 2 in the pistol, you then get 2 in each, common sense. I've often run out in both guns, so pistol ammo does matter. I also think this would be the best way due to 1 pack filling both guns might be a bit OP.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    On a second thought, yeah. It could just refil 4/5 magazines but favors the main-weapon over the pistol.
  • TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    Much needed change. In pubs, 9 times out out 10 the commander won't respond and no good player can afford to be holding an out of ammo rifle. When they do respond 5 times out of 10 they drop the ammo right on you resulting in a full pistol.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In NS1 and earlier in NS2 it is/was 1 mag for the wep you're holding from each ammobox, each costing 1 res.
    They changed it to freakin 4 mags now which is ridiculous!
    And you want it to be even MORE lenient?
    How about refilling all ammo and health?
    And auto by the CC at your request?
    While were here, let's just get rid of ammo altogether and do the exo style on all weps?
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    should just have unlimited ammunition

seriously, having a commander drop ammo is among the worst game design decisions ever. All it does is frustrate people and punish newb commanders that don't have the apm to spam ammo while doing other things without adding to the game at all.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2057334:date=Jan 7 2013, 02:22 PM:name=Xnm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xnm @ Jan 7 2013, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not just have 1 ammopack give 4 clips of ammo?

Let's say you're full in the pistol, so you'll get 4 clips in the rifle. Or you've spend 2 in the rifle & 2 in the pistol, you then get 2 in each, common sense. I've often run out in both guns, so pistol ammo does matter. I also think this would be the best way due to 1 pack filling both guns might be a bit OP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This sounds good, altho I'd prefer filling rifle mags first and the rest into pistol. ...there's really very little reason to ask for pistol ammo. "COMM I GOTTA USE MY PISTOL-MACRO TO SURPRISE SNIPE THAT LERK PLZ DROP AMMO" ...urr.

Until fixed though, remember to tell comms NOT TO DROP AMMO DIRECTLY ON TOP OF YOU.

EDIT: Just nevermind me, not enough coffee.... The quoted idea is fine.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    edited January 2013
    Except, you know, the fact that it's an excellent backup weapon that can turn a lost battle into a solid push. But yeah, other than the fact that it's awesome and saves my life ALL the time, no one needs pistol ammo.

Seriously, you never refill your pistol? What a waste. Half the time the commander drops 2 ammo packs anyways just cuz he's in a rush. The other half I ask for it because it's amazing to have your pistol available.

<!--quoteo(post=2057450:date=Jan 7 2013, 12:14 PM:name=IAMKING)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IAMKING @ Jan 7 2013, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->should just have unlimited ammunition

seriously, having a commander drop ammo is among the worst game design decisions ever. All it does is frustrate people and punish newb commanders that don't have the apm to spam ammo while doing other things without adding to the game at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, this is hilarious. There have been games where my killing spree on the hive was only stopped because ammo couldn't be supplied in time. This game is more about teamwork than any other aspect of FPS and you want to dull that aspect? Aiming is important but teamwork wins games.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2057319:date=Jan 7 2013, 10:17 PM:name=The Algerian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Algerian @ Jan 7 2013, 10:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just fill primary weapon. Who asks for pistol ammo anyway?
    (Also this belong in the Idea and Suggestions section)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

###### you.

EDIT: I feel like I should justify this. I often get more kills in close combat with pistol than lmg.
  • NikolaiLevNikolaiLev Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165658Members
    I like the idea of prioritizing the primary weapon for ammo fills, and then filling the secondary weapon next.

At the very least, allow people to get ammo for their primary while wielding their tool. It's often happened where I run out of ammo, switch to welder to help out with buildings or exosuits, and then ask for ammo, but I have to stop what I'm doing (even when it's inefficient to do so) just to get the ammo.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    I support this suggestion as it really would make ammo drops more effective and worth while
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057468:date=Jan 7 2013, 12:46 PM:name=Tinker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tinker @ Jan 7 2013, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except, you know, the fact that it's an excellent backup weapon that can turn a lost battle into a solid push. But yeah, other than the fact that it's awesome and saves my life ALL the time, no one needs pistol ammo.

Seriously, you never refill your pistol? What a waste. Half the time the commander drops 2 ammo packs anyways just cuz he's in a rush. The other half I ask for it because it's amazing to have your pistol available.

Also, this is hilarious. There have been games where my killing spree on the hive was only stopped because ammo couldn't be supplied in time. This game is more about teamwork than any other aspect of FPS and you want to dull that aspect? Aiming is important but teamwork wins games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    is this serious? that's not teamwork, that's mindless apm spam. like i said, it needlessly punishes newbie commanders and is totally trivial for a decent commander to spam ammo packs
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    An ammo pack giving both rifle and pistol ammo would not be a balance problem. It's just simpler that way. Who even runs out of pistol ammo, it could be infinite and it would hardly matter.
    <!--quoteo(post=2057906:date=Jan 8 2013, 03:29 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jan 8 2013, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An ammo pack giving both rifle and pistol ammo would not be a balance problem. It's just simpler that way. Who even runs out of pistol ammo, it could be infinite and it would hardly matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I still don't get why people argue about not running out of ammo in the pistol, it's happened plenty of times.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2057906:date=Jan 8 2013, 04:29 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jan 8 2013, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An ammo pack giving both rifle and pistol ammo would not be a balance problem. It's just simpler that way. Who even runs out of pistol ammo, it could be infinite and it would hardly matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uhm yeah, just give me infinite pistol ammo! Don't care what you do to ammo packs/LMG after that xD
    But to stay on topic: I like the "4 magazines with priority to main weapon" option, sounds like it covers most of the issues.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    I think this is a good idea for the ammo dropped to provide ammo for both primary and secondary weapons. It makes sense.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057482:date=Jan 7 2013, 12:56 PM:name=Ghosthree3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghosthree3 @ Jan 7 2013, 12:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->###### you.

EDIT: I feel like I should justify this. I often get more kills in close combat with pistol than lmg.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well (a) despite your comment I'm sure you run completely dry on LMG ammo at least 2-3 times as often as running dry on pistol ammo, and (b) your comment is a bit odd -- sort of like saying<i> "Out of combat which lasts longer than 10 seconds after I've shot all my LMG shots I find I usually get more kills with the pistol than LMG."</i> Which of course is true but also a rather uselessly self-selective data set which ignores the majority of kills being made.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    If you see a marine asking for ammo with his pistol out not shooting anything, don't drop ammo on him, drop it next to him so he can switch to his primary.
  • proteinstainproteinstain Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24349Members
    this really needs to fill up both guns. accidnetlry running over an ammo pack with your pistol out is not only frustrating its a waste of resources.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I could definitely support 1 ammo pack filling a mag for both the primary and secondary weapon, but I don't think that it should fill all of the mags of either or both weapons. If you have 1 ammo pack fill 4 mags (of the lmg), then you are essentially cutting the number of required ammo packs by a factor of 4. This messes with how much res a marine team needs and thus timings and everything else.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    yes. consider the res deflation in ns1 with r4k and ns2 with no r4k
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    I support all weapons filled.

If that's an issue, do 4 clips, with overflow.. 3 to the current weapon, 1 to the alternate weapon. If the first 3 clips fill the gun with excess clips, the remainder is used to fill the alternate weapon.
    Keep it simple and easy to implement:

<b>Fill 4 clips. Prefer primary weapon until full. Than fill secondary weapon. No matter what weapon is active.</b>
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    Sounds good to me. I usually request ammo for my primary, anyway. if my secondary is what needs ammo, goddamnit i should use my primary more...