INSANE idea to make "NS2" successful: MMR

ONOSSSONOSSS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177772Members
what is MMR "Matchmaking Rating" for newbie (from sc wiki) :
<i><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->This rating decides which opponents a player will meet, and tries to quantify their skill level. The aim of the MMR is to rank players in such a way that they have a roughly 50% win ratio when paired against those of similar MMR. Players presumably start out with an MMR of the middle of the spectrum when starting their placement matches. When a player's MMR has averaged above or below a certain value over a number of recent games, they can be promoted or demoted. <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i>

I come from games like COD, BF, LOL, SC, than i know how many crazy is this idea, but plz let me to explain:

There was a discussion on this forum documenting the abandonment of the game after a short time, I can not remember what it was called, but the baddest point on which I agree is a fairly steep learning curve.
This added to the fact that in the rookie servers, are on time "regulars" hungry noobs with scores unequivocal, removes all doubt as to why this game ,despite the price is dying..

My proposal:
1 - make the game into a formula "free to play" for a month like wow and then pay monthly to play on servers
2 - Establish a system of servers that can host games of 6v6 players that can be coupled with a system MMR, and different league where to play like in sc
3 - to increase the involvement put new graphical interface levels with unlockable skin or be purchased at the store
4 - after the game adopt the reporting system lol, with relative tribunal

PRO:
more players than more fun, and more support for esport
w MMR system, we have a great database for balance issue
CONS:
too much money for starting investment
occasionary player dont wanna pay monthly

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    We do have <a href="http://ns2stats.org" target="_blank">ns2stats.org</a> for stat tracking on custom servers. It has rankings, k/d ratios, and all that jazz. It just needs to be adopted by more servers.

As for matchmaking purely on rankings, it can work great... but only if you have an insanely large pool of players to draw from. (ie, those dota games and starcraft). Right now, a matchmaking system will either put me in a server with below-optimal ping or take forever to start. Any sane person would prefer just joining their favorite servers, sorted by best ping.

Pay-to-play monthly is a dying concept. NS2 is not in WoW's league in terms of playerbase or exploitative game design. (As in, getting players into a leveling grind). Plus, how exactly is UWE going to force people to pay to play on custom servers? Are they going to have to cut off LAN play? UWE will <b>never</b> use this model. It makes no sense and will kill this game faster than you can blink.

(inb4 OP IS TROLS)
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    In regard to pay to play, Squish is correct. That model is almost completely dead at this point. Free to play is currently reigning supreme.

I see both sides of the matchmaking. We had a recent thread on it in general discussion. At first I was for matchmaking but after considering points other people brought up, I realized it wouldn't fit in NS2. In short, as Squish said, the playerbase is too small.

NS2 going free to play is an interesting concept, but I think UWE may adopt a philosophy of "if it's not broke don't fix it." The $20 price point seems to be working really well for them. The title of your thread suggests NS2 isn't currently successful, and although I have no way of knowing for certain, I think UWE turned NS2 into a financial success. For an independent company like UWE, your first game being a financial success is huge.

If they were in trouble, we may see a more aggressive move (like free to play) to capture more players. That said, I think UWE knows NS2 isn't a game for everyone and they aren't trying to cater to every type of gamer.
  • ErMejoErMejo Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177832Members
    edited January 2013
    The free to play is the first step towards decay, too many players = too many demands, too many kids, too much of too much. I disagree totally such a choice, it is a formula that ruin games.
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056912:date=Jan 6 2013, 02:48 PM:name=ONOSSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ONOSSS @ Jan 6 2013, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My proposal:
    1 - make the game into a formula "free to play" for a month like wow and then pay monthly to play on servers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree.
    Not with the point but with the fact that it is insane. Literally.

It will be a cold day in hell before I pay any subscription for any game would it be the best game ever made.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Although I'm a big fan of games that include some type of ranking, I don't think it fits this game.

Maybe there could be added a Ranked gametype later on, that includes 3 or 4 types of matchups. Queing up alone (SoloQue) 6v6, 8v8 or something of that sort. Either way, it's something to be looked at later on.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    well a ranking system would be useful but rank perks will ruin the game for more casual players or ones that are busy most days so have ranks be just that ranks just a way of seeing who is good or bad at marine and alien and who plays this alot etc etc
  • KazelKazel Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175939Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->inb4 OP IS TROLS)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My thoughts exactly.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    There are...so many threads.. asking for these things which would serve no purpose but to harm NS2's viability and current audience.

...Mind... cannot... take... number.. of.. threads...
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2058177:date=Jan 8 2013, 11:08 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Jan 8 2013, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058177"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are...so many threads.. asking for these things which would serve no purpose but to harm NS2's viability and current audience.

...Mind... cannot... take... number.. of.. threads...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welcome to the I&S forums.