Another Alien Unit Idea

EricMeerstraEricMeerstra Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176680Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Got idea from Awesomenauts</div>On my last post someone pointed out to me that the game probably wont introduce another alien shooting unit other than the lurker. They said the game is based more on aliens must bite.

So this got me thinking, why not have a unit, that pulls a marine towards it, so he can be bitten?

My idea is to have a new unit with a tounge ability(fits alien role), which can pull a marine from a room into a hallway full of aliens. This is a helpful way to break the stalemate that aliens sometimes have problems with trying to push into a room or hallway full of marines.. Also, I think it would be a darn load of fun to pull helpless marines into a group of 4 skulks that then proceed to eat him to shreds.

What do you guys think? Could a tounged alien unit be viable?

Comments

• sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2013
    Removes control from players, which is a bad design decision.
    Plus that aliens have enough ranged abilities already. The point is that aliens are melee and marines are ranged, so it should stay like that for the majority.

And it's also just a cheap copy of L4D's Smoker.
    Might as well let the Gorge blow itself up on marines to attract Babblers, let Fades ride on marine's back to steer them, let Skulks leap at marines from the front to pin them down for continuous damage, and let Onos throw giant rocks out of nowhere at marines.
  • EricMeerstraEricMeerstra Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176680Members
    Hmmm... I don't understand when you say it removes control from the players.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2057132:date=Jan 7 2013, 12:08 PM:name=EricMeerstra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EricMeerstra @ Jan 7 2013, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On my last post someone pointed out to me that the game probably wont introduce another alien shooting unit other than the lurker. They said the game is based more on aliens must bite.

So this got me thinking, why not have a unit, that pulls a marine towards it, so he can be bitten?

My idea is to have a new unit with a tounge ability(fits alien role), which can pull a marine from a room into a hallway full of aliens. This is a helpful way to break the stalemate that aliens sometimes have problems with trying to push into a room or hallway full of marines.. Also, I think it would be a darn load of fun to pull helpless marines into a group of 4 skulks that then proceed to eat him to shreds.

What do you guys think? Could a tounged alien unit be viable?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So a long tentacle that could drag a marine out of a room towards the aliens..interesting.

As long as you still allow the marine to shoot I dont see an issue...this is not far different to pushback on Pg's and IP's.

There is limited control removed, perhaps a second whilst your dragged..but you can still aim and shoot.

I am assuming that once you have dragged the marine he is then free to move around and the aliens have to kill him.

This could serve as a nuice little turtle breaker...more useful than vortex.
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    What if he attaches his whip-tongue-tentacle-thingy on an exo? Would he be able to draw him over the cliff in crevice. That could be fun. xD
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126494&st=0&p=2052430&#entry2052430" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry2052430</a>
  • EricMeerstraEricMeerstra Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176680Members
    The way I pictured it, it was a very fast drag where the marine is only out of control for like 1 second. After that he is completely free to run, shoot, and jump about. The aliens still have to bite him. Not to be used as a disable, just to draw him 5m closer so you can bite him.

<!--quoteo(post=2057206:date=Jan 6 2013, 09:02 PM:name=nikodimus86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nikodimus86 @ Jan 6 2013, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if he attaches his whip-tongue-tentacle-thingy on an exo? Would he be able to draw him over the cliff in crevice. That could be fun. xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be hilarious, if he latched onto a building or exo, if the alien got pulled forward instead. It would lead to some very funny plays where he sticks his tounge to an exo and gets pulled into the room instead.
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    I really love the idea of an alien that would be a bit like the Smoker from Left4Dead, as long as you can shoot it's tongue to save your teamate. (And it would have a cooldown).

I really doubt it would be implemented in the game though.
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    I really love the idea of an alien that would be a bit like the Smoker from Left4Dead, as long as you can shoot it's tongue to save your teamate. (And it would have a cooldown).

I really doubt it would ever be implemented in the game though.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Then Marines would need something to counter that, which would only cause more problems, sure it could just be enough to shoot the tongue but I don't like the idea overall.
  • TiomatTiomat Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155713Members
    I don't like the idea of it being a ranged move, which essentially means it has no downside.

I do like the principle of aliens trying to mess up marine positioning.

I would therefore rather see a fade third hive ability that lets him 'grab' a marine and pull him through blink with the fade (until blink is released at which point the marine is in front of the fade). A similar principle could kind of work with a lerk, but the physical size of the lerk makes that seem a bit impractical.

Solves the problem of fade not having a very practical third hive ability, fits in well with the 'style' of the fade, not incredibly OP as it still requires the fade to be able to get into melee range, grab a marine and get out without his friends killing you, and isn't an instagib focus-fade style move.
  • PetriFemboyPetriFemboy Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176641Members
    edited January 2013
    Instead of actual pulling, they could be hypnotized. Perhaps with the commander spraying them while they are on creep. It force that marine to lose control over WSAD along with space, and stand still. That could be a counter to Marine Commander to spawn infinite amount of health and ammo. It would work only for 1.5 second. Enough to catch up and kill him.

Also about the Fade pulling a marine, it should be a passive, which activates only when a Fade starts using the phase walk ability while having sneak up behind a marine.
    That would be awesome! But with a marine on he's hands, he loses energy twice as faster while phase walking.