Hearing noises as commander

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
<div class="IPBDescription">this seems almost random</div>In what situations can a commander hear noises like phase gates, footsteps, gunshots, bites etc?

I play commander quite often, but I have yet to determine any pattern between the times when I can suddenly hear enemy players creeping through an area. Sometimes I won't even have infestation in an area, or it will be a powered down room, and I will hear building and marines running around or gorges healing. It seems completely random, but it can be quite a game changer if you hear a big force incoming before they reach their destination.

Visuals as well. Sometimes the spawn in animation on IPs is clearly visible as commander, or the splat animation of new alien structures being placed.

Comments

• ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    i hear fade noises at the start of the game sometimes
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    I think we can hear those sounds only if there are allied players in the vicinity. So it's not a big advantage for commanders.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    Sound isn't the only thing that doesnt consistently register
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    They all told me I was mad! Haha! But I knew better! Ha ha! Hahhaha??! AHHAHAHAHAHH
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I noticed this myself aswell, and its been bugging me to.
  • deathst4rdeathst4r Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19365Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056450:date=Jan 5 2013, 07:47 AM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Jan 5 2013, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i hear fade noises at the start of the game sometimes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True. Me too.

You who have <b>Fade</b> in your soul, hold it before <b>Gorge</b>. :D
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2056425:date=Jan 5 2013, 05:12 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Jan 5 2013, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In what situations can a commander hear noises like phase gates, footsteps, gunshots, bites etc?

I play commander quite often, but I have yet to determine any pattern between the times when I can suddenly hear enemy players creeping through an area. Sometimes I won't even have infestation in an area, or it will be a powered down room, and I will hear building and marines running around or gorges healing. It seems completely random, but it can be quite a game changer if you hear a big force incoming before they reach their destination.

Visuals as well. Sometimes the spawn in animation on IPs is clearly visible as commander, or the splat animation of new alien structures being placed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IP animations
    Structure placement
    MAC jets
    Jetpack smoke
    EXO thrusters
    Welders
    Marine Footsteps
    Phase gate light when a marine phases
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056425:date=Jan 5 2013, 10:12 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Jan 5 2013, 10:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In what situations can a commander hear noises like phase gates, footsteps, gunshots, bites etc?

Visuals as well. Sometimes the spawn in animation on IPs is clearly visible as commander, or the splat animation of new alien structures being placed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am pretty sure the sounds for the commander are always heard from directly below the commander.
    Due to the commander vision being tilted it is quite difficult to position yourself directly above an area, however,
    I believe that a commander who is currently above an area outside of the map hears random sounds from anywhere on the map.

But yeah its really disorientating sometimes.
    And yes the ability for a commander to know exactly where the enemy is in the first 1 second by watching for an armoury drop/egg drop needs fixing.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    The sound seems wonky in general.

As commander I often hear the Fade noise when I go over certain areas, even 2 minutes into the game. Also the replayed scan noise happens long after a scan has subsided.

On the ground I often hear skulks biting in places other than where they are.. and the quality is worse. If 3 skulks are chewing some RT to the northeast of me, I may hear 1 or 2 skulks biting in what sounds like an 8-bit, jittery format to the west of me.
  • duke_Qaduke_Qa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62405Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I've heard those fade sounds as well, mostly when I move the camera quick from one position on the map to the other.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hear them, too.

Let's get the tinfoil hats - i smell conspiracies.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    edited January 2013
    Bug 1:
    * While respawning as marine, the fade shadowstep sound will sometimes play. (Once the bug starts, it will happen for the rest of the match at least.)
    * While respawning as alien, the phasegate phase sound will sometimes play. Same deal.

Bug 2:
    * Commander sounds aren't correctly centered resulting in sounds below (south of) the camera sounding like they're directly centered onscreen.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    it's not just commanders
    All sounds aren't centered around the player in question, so i can hear things in generator from cafe for example, but none of the sounds in cafe will play for me. quite odd. hapens quite frequently for me (less so than it used to, but still frequent)
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fade sound is a bug, alien commander hearing sounds is not a bug and is part of its little known ability called foresight.

There is a rhyme and reason to what you can/can't hear with it also.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having allies in the area doesn't matter at all.

I've noticed you hear the Fade shadowstep when you zone in on Flight Control, you also hear the marine axe swing when you zone in on Server Room.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2056543:date=Jan 6 2013, 04:14 AM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Jan 6 2013, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hear them, too.

Let's get the tinfoil hats - i smell conspiracies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kind of what it sounds like..
    I have had false suspicions of building and movements in areas unseen by units, as commander.
    Similarly, on (more) occasions the sounds were the result of enemy activity!

Also, the Comm HUD is 2D wereas the enviroments are not. I do hypothesize that certain areas may cause distortive audible effects to some peoples perceptions.