5.1 surround sound system question

sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
Struggling to find a clear-cut answer on google so...

I got a 5.1+blu-ray combo unit from my family for Christmas. It's a nice unit let down by the lack of inputs- there's only a red+white stereo input, no optical. I'm thinking about buying an expensive optical -> stereo converter as I stream movies from my xbox 360, so the question is:

Would a signal converted down to stereo play through the sub woofer? I can make do with losing the surround sound from the rear speakers, but losing the sub woofer too wouldn't make it worth while.

Thanks!

Comments

• AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Normally, this would work just fine. Assuming it's a 5.1 set with a built-in amplifier, the unit will 'automagically' send the lower frequencies received to the subwoofer.

I can't say for sure without knowing the exact set you've got though, but I have no reason to think it won't work.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Ah ok, thanks.
    <a href="http://www.lg.com/uk/home-entertainment/lg-BH4120S-home-cinema-system/reviews" target="_blank">This</a> is the exact model.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    HDMI carries audio as well as video. Try to see if you can also send sound from your TV / other HDMI device towards the 5.1 system. It seems silly to have a sound system which wouldn't be usable when you watch regular TV as well.

Is there a specific reason why you're using your Xbox to stream movies ? Perhaps using the USB connection to plug in directly a hard drive ?
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2056578:date=Jan 5 2013, 08:12 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jan 5 2013, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HDMI carries audio as well as video. Try to see if you can also send sound from your TV / other HDMI device towards the 5.1 system. It seems silly to have a sound system which wouldn't be usable when you watch regular TV as well.

Is there a specific reason why you're using your Xbox to stream movies ? Perhaps using the USB connection to plug in directly a hard drive ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As he says, there are no HDMI inputs. Also, why use the USB when the Xbox will pull stuff through the network from PC, and also movie streaming from Netflix or Lovefilm?
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I always thought HDMI was bidirectional. Precisely for this issue.

Then again, I don't have any HDMI...
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    What you're thinking of is HDMI-ARC. Audio Return Channel. And it relies both on the TV and receiver (or DVD player, in this case) to be ARC-compatible.
    The receiver's tech specs don't list it, so it's unlikely; it's one of those 'new features' since about 2011.

I'd recommend shelling out for a Yamaha, Onkyo or Panasonic (in that order) receiver, and re-using the speakers until you can afford something decent. Expect to spend about $300-500 (USD) for something that you'll keep for a while.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2056541:date=Jan 5 2013, 07:13 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jan 5 2013, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Struggling to find a clear-cut answer on google so...

I got a 5.1+blu-ray combo unit from my family for Christmas. It's a nice unit let down by the lack of inputs- there's only a red+white stereo input, no optical. I'm thinking about buying an expensive optical -> stereo converter as I stream movies from my xbox 360, so the question is:

Would a signal converted down to stereo play through the sub woofer? I can make do with losing the surround sound from the rear speakers, but losing the sub woofer too wouldn't make it worth while.

Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I bought the same thing for my mother, and it came most welcomed. I would never have bought it for myself though, as it lacks input. But I've tested the PS3 on it with a bluray, using the red-white output from the ps3 to the LG player and I got nice and good enough 5.1. You won't need any optical-stereo jacks thingy.