The Lack of First Person Spectating is Scary

13»

Comments

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calling out an somewhat above average player as a cheater is amusing, but sadly your incorrect. I do hope for your sake you dont run into any of the real cheaters, otherwise your mind might explode.

And for people complaining about ping, generally speaking the person with the high ping suffers way more than you do with low ping, so blaming their ping for your death is pretty dumb. They may be able to land a swipe on you from further away but they will still take damage from you way longer as they retreat. Interpolation on the other hand is too high in NS2, however lowering it its not the best of ideas currently (sooo many people warp like crazy already).
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2053907:date=Dec 31 2012, 03:27 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Dec 31 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What? It's really easy to quantify how much "too slow" it is, minimum of 50ms of interp too much at the moment.

Done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Natural Interpolation 2
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Why do people keep spouting that a game needs to be popular for it to get hacked?

There's a working wallhack DLL injection on the first page of google search ns2 hacks, it has been working for over 2 months now with any simple DLL injection program. I liked the post from one of the UWE people last month talking about this subject and how UWE basically relies on NS2 not being popular enough to hack, and VAC. If you ever played CS/DOD in your life you should know VAC is about the most useless ######ing hard drive scan of an anti hack ever that works off ban waves, that means even if they do detect something and pick it up people potentially use it for another week-month before it's finally filtered.

He also made a suggestion that your steam account could be terminated if caught hacking in one game on VAC, which would be funny if he wasn't serious.

I don't think you particularly need an aimbot since 90% of good aim is simply knowing where people are/positioning, bright red/blue models and wire walls do a pretty good job of that right now. If there's one positive of the hitreg of this game it's that it counters any potential aimbotting being as effective as it would in a source game.

Also the guys stating that the dude is streaming so he must be legit, you do realise the last year+ it has been standard on most CoD hacks to be stream/record proof, as in it's the same as running a demo from someone hacking without the hacks installed yourself, you see the vanilla game on stream/demo while his actual display has wires/whatever. I'm in no way saying that guy does, never seen his stream, but please educate yourself a little on what hacks are out a bit.

Talking about hacking online is like talking about taking drugs IRL, oceans of misinformation to wade through for no good reason.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2054242:date=Jan 1 2013, 01:20 PM:name=Xao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xao @ Jan 1 2013, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do people keep spouting that a game needs to be popular for it to get hacked?

There's a working wallhack DLL injection on the first page of google search ns2 hacks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The one that's vac banned. Hope you haven't been using it.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    In 250 hours since release I've only ever seen one confirmed hack. Was a player with no name on Terminal. He would sit in the vents between Generator and Maintenance popping Skulks in both directions instantly. I even tested him, as one player would try to hit him through Maint I would sneak around via System Waypointing but to no avail, his pistol script would unload on me the second I entered the long vent passageway. I know some great players and even they don't have reactions that quick. That was about a month ago and I haven't seen him since.

His K:D was high but that should never be enough to accuse someone of cheating, even if their aim is good, you gotta look at <i>how</i> they are getting those scores.
  • edaKulousedaKulous Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72808Members
    lol... "confirmed hacker clan" by WHO?

Good thread tho... *popcorn*
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    FrankerZ dates back to the days of SuperPaxBros, he was their sponsor.... who knows who might be posting under that account, or who was even on that team....
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054480:date=Jan 1 2013, 11:20 PM:name=edaKulous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edaKulous @ Jan 1 2013, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol... "confirmed hacker clan" by WHO?

Good thread tho... *popcorn*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No comment on the post above, but I've specced a rine running from Warehouse to Repair in literally 2 seconds. He afked at the IP for literally 5 minutes after I got suspicious and started following him, and after he died in repair he left the server.
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I really should check the forums more. This whole post is hilarious.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I only got a cheat accusation in NS2 once, not vs me but someone else. (my aim at the moment is still to suck to be accused haha)

Luckily for that person who got accused, I was hovering around him as commander for quite a while the match before for meds and stuff.
    He proved to be very good, but surely not as perfect as any hack would make someone.
    I just told the server he was good, as I didn't see anything in the previous match and we all moved on playing.

EU seems fairly ok on hack accusations atm.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054492:date=Jan 1 2013, 11:37 PM:name=Makenshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Makenshi @ Jan 1 2013, 11:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No comment on the post above, but I've specced a rine running from Warehouse to Repair in literally 2 seconds. He afked at the IP for literally 5 minutes after I got suspicious and started following him, and after he died in repair he left the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There was a known speedhack in the release version of the game that has been stopped from working any more.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054480:date=Jan 1 2013, 11:20 PM:name=edaKulous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edaKulous @ Jan 1 2013, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol... "confirmed hacker clan" by WHO?

Good thread tho... *popcorn*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just assumed it was a joke. Surprised people even took that post seriously.

I guess it might have been serious though, but who knows. Seems more likely that he's just kidding.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2053930:date=Dec 31 2012, 04:16 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Dec 31 2012, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...somewhat above average player as a cheater is amusing, but sadly your incorrect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but sadly your incorrect<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sadly your incorrect<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->your incorrect<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All of your arguments are now invalid
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    I can confirm that edakulous hacks.

He plays with the name ehackulous a lot, and why would anyone do that unless they were huge in private hacking circles?

He probably made his hacks / distributed them to All-In.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2054278:date=Jan 1 2013, 12:23 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Jan 1 2013, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The one that's vac banned. Hope you haven't been using it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No it's not. Please download it and use it! ;-)
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Here is a quick guide to dealing with "hackers" in NS2

1. stop talking/typing

2. unplug your microphone

3. fill your sink with cold water

4. stick your head into it

5. leave it in there for a few minutes

6. calmly get back into your seat

7. if you have not been enlightened by the previous events as to the nonexistance of hacks in NS2, repeat the steps again. Just keep doing it until the illusion of hacks is cleansed from your mind, so that you can actually get better as a player for once. If you continue thinking that hacks exist in this game, please find the closest doctor, he should be able to better help you with your condition.
  • stache_overflowstache_overflow Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173092Members
    I don't think there is hacking in this game.

One of the differences between this game and many others is that a very skilled player can instantly do a 180 and kill you in one hit with a shotgun without needing any sort of tool assistance.

What people think is hacking on the marines side is just the fact that a marine with very good aim and reflexes has the advantage in pretty much every 1 on 1 situation, even if you have a spatial advantage (like getting the drop on them)

Seems like in pubs, a really good marine absolutely can carry his/her team to victory. Maybe that's just my experience though.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2054278:date=Jan 1 2013, 12:23 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Jan 1 2013, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The one that's vac banned. Hope you haven't been using it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The one people have replied to after you made this post on the hack forum stating "Thanks for the wallhack this is great and easy to use and currently undetected".

And even if you were to pretend to be some inside source to the VAC wide ban it could still be another week-month before it happens, as I said in my first post, before it's banned off. Because you know, ban wave bans are so effective against hackers, as proven by the last decade of never ending working hacks in source games. VAC rarely targets injections, in fact I can't even think of the last non injection hack I've seen in a while.

Please stop posting misinformation, almost as bad as the UWE official response to hacking within NS2. It's not even like you need to hack with the 3-4 shader/models mods that have bright green/pink skulks, the game currently has no way to detect people editing their .dds files as well? So even by ramping up consistency checks (Only Monash in Aus blocks these bright model mods, the other 10-15+ full servers nightly are mod-able).

I feel like I should spend a few hours ######ing around in Spark/Builder whatever it is people use to mod instead of playing the game to get better, I know which one gets better results faster.

How many other people ###### around in their catalyst suite to ramp their gamma all the way up for a ns2.exe profile as well, I take it UWE took out gamma/brightness to keep the game as level as possible, pity nearly every gfx driver now days comes with this sort of stuff, if anything they'd do a lot of people a good turn by adding these options into the game and letting people see into every bright corner by default instead of letting the try hards get to it by using their gfx driver suites.

@NeoRussia this guy is a good candidate for the sort of person using bright models and bright white cysts telling people to suck it up and L2P.

edit: the NS2 chams I'm talking about is a 2 page thread with over 2,500 views, for a game with barely 5k concurrent players during a 60% sale that's a potentially high amount of people getting a good 1-2 seconds notice before you walk around the corner and clearly see you on any roof.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2056888:date=Jan 6 2013, 07:13 AM:name=stache_overflow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stache_overflow @ Jan 6 2013, 07:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems like in pubs, a really good marine absolutely can carry his/her team to victory. Maybe that's just my experience though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only if the commander is halfway competent.

Same with aliens + good fade mid game.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2056907:date=Jan 6 2013, 06:31 AM:name=Xao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xao @ Jan 6 2013, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The one people have replied to after you made this post on the hack forum stating "Thanks for the wallhack this is great and easy to use and currently undetected".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, it's currently undetected. I'd encourage everyone to use it, it's awesome.
  • Trance420Trance420 Join Date: 2010-03-31 Member: 71135Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056881:date=Jan 6 2013, 04:44 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Jan 6 2013, 04:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here is a quick guide to dealing with "hackers" in NS2

<i><!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->1) go play on another server<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->corrected<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2057038:date=Jan 6 2013, 01:18 PM:name=Trance420)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trance420 @ Jan 6 2013, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->corrected<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There aren't any, so basically go find a server where you aren't getting outplayed I suppose.
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053908:date=Jan 1 2013, 12:28 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Jan 1 2013, 12:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->See this is EXACTLY what I mean. Players will still think others are hacking even when the ACTUAL VIDEO PROOF is right in front of them. I have a video of playing with edak in a PUG. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBqWu52un3o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBqWu52un3o</a>

He IS NOT a hacker. There are NO hackers. Only players getting deceived into thinking there are by this group thinking mentality.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This vid needs more views. Lots of good stuff in it. Also, I don't notice any hacks from the dude... or I would have expected to see him more effective. There are lots of new-er players out there, so running up scores isn't all that hard to do if you're a shotgun-surgeon.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    The only person being decieved is you Troubleshooter. Is it well known that Locklear and eHACKulous are ass buddies (Look at ANY pub they play in. They are ALWAYS on the same team. PLUS they flirt with each other all the time in voice chat if you're ever on their team).

Everybody saying that he is not a hacker tends to always be on the same team as him. They are probably in the circle of his private hacking community- they might not have hacks (especially neorussia he tends to be ass) but they are definitely covering for him.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thanks for pointing us to that stream from edak - Excellent play, map awareness and obviously having a really decent rig helps to keep things smooth, too. He's clearly not a hacker, and I'm really glad to have found those vids - I can learn a lot from that kind of play (I've been out of competitive gaming for over a decade...)

Roo
  • BeardyBeardy Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176518Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058441:date=Jan 9 2013, 09:28 AM:name=Shino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shino @ Jan 9 2013, 09:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only person being decieved is you Troubleshooter. Is it well known that Locklear and eHACKulous are ass buddies (Look at ANY pub they play in. They are ALWAYS on the same team. PLUS they flirt with each other all the time in voice chat if you're ever on their team).

Everybody saying that he is not a hacker tends to always be on the same team as him. They are probably in the circle of his private hacking community- they might not have hacks (especially neorussia he tends to be ass) but they are definitely covering for him.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Watch his stream before you talk out of your ass.
  • TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    From what I've seen of edaks stream he's good, but nowhere near good enough where it looks like a hack.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2013
    Closing thread, first person spectating is on top of UWE's list at the moment.
    <a href="http://goo.gl/mod/u72g" target="_blank">Source</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are currently implementing this. It will take some time to finish, but expect it in our first big content patch early in the year.
    Flayra, San Francisco, CA<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
This discussion has been closed.