Lerk Slower?

shaq_mobileshaq_mobile Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69575Members
Is the lerk slower now? It feels *much* slower now. Lerk without celerity is almost useless, aside from spikes. Lerk with celerity is sort of fast but not fast enough to shake a halfway decent marines aim. Feels like it used to be faster, maybe I'm just imagining it.

Comments

• KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Idk, the last patch has been quite a while and I only really started lerking after it was out. Lerk's speed feels "right" to me though...
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    They reduced the speed near the end of beta (and gave more hp/armour), though I'm not aware of any other speed changes since then.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    edited January 2013
    They reduced the lerk speed from 13 to 11 in a <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/9/ns2_build_221_released_lockdown" target="_blank">Build before release</a>.
    But that was in september.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    They have made changes with turning as a lerk losing speed I do believe.
    Recently noticed that a instant 180 degree turn (evne whilst gliding) now reduces your speed catastrophically whilst previously you could turn as much as you wanted and never lose speed (if you were gliding).
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It has been quite some time since flight was changed, I think you're imagining it.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Seems insanely fast to me when you're trying to shoot at a lerk doing circles around you. oh man. even without celerity lerks are pretty quick if played right.
  • Kama_BlueKama_Blue Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055819:date=Jan 3 2013, 11:33 PM:name=shaq_mobile)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shaq_mobile @ Jan 3 2013, 11:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the lerk slower now? It feels *much* slower now. Lerk without celerity is almost useless, aside from spikes. Lerk with celerity is sort of fast but not fast enough to shake a halfway decent marines aim. Feels like it used to be faster, maybe I'm just imagining it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's an issue, that i'm experiencing where the speed of lerk and skulk is not the same on different servers. Or on same servers on different days even.

It's a really bad problem, and i don't know what's causing it, or if it's me and not the servers.
    <!--quoteo(post=2056048:date=Jan 4 2013, 05:47 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jan 4 2013, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It has been quite some time since flight was changed, I think you're imagining it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmmm maybe but if definately felt <b>alot</b> different last I played ... although I had been away for crimbo so <i>maybe</i>...
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Lerk animations are really slow. If you try to do a 180 it will look like your model slowly rotates while flying in that direction. If you flick around in the air like crazy it will look slow for marines. The animation speed depends on your movement speed as well.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Yeah, it also felt slower for me for some reason. I noticed how I had to flap every now and then to gain speed. Before, I could just start gliding at full speed from any situation and never had to adapt.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    I noticed it, shortly after the patch, you cannot maintain speed while gliding. The rate that it slows you down was lowered, but it's back. May have been one of those check-ins they missed..

Lerk flight (like skulk movement, lawl) is constantly being worked on, so it being slightly different from patch to patch without information on the patch release notes. Honestly not enough people play Lerk in playtests. <3
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055819:date=Jan 4 2013, 08:33 AM:name=shaq_mobile)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shaq_mobile @ Jan 4 2013, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the lerk slower now? It feels *much* slower now. Lerk without celerity is almost useless, aside from spikes. Lerk with celerity is sort of fast but not fast enough to shake a halfway decent marines aim. Feels like it used to be faster, maybe I'm just imagining it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

probably because celerity doesn't work in combat.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2056145:date=Jan 4 2013, 09:07 PM:name=rhombus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rhombus @ Jan 4 2013, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk flight (like skulk movement, lawl) is constantly being worked on, so it being slightly different from patch to patch without information on the patch release notes. Honestly not enough people play Lerk in playtests. <3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There have been no changes to lerk movement that weren't listed in the patch notes, and no changes made in the last few patches.

--Cory
  • RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2056316:date=Jan 4 2013, 09:08 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 4 2013, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There have been no changes to lerk movement that weren't listed in the patch notes, and no changes made in the last few patches.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you sure? I mean...how can you really know yourself? You guys don't have the manpower (apparently) or the time to document things properly, so how can you really be sure?
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    simple solution for everyone

start server
    cheats 1
    debugspeed
    lerk
    fly around

8)
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Did that months ago, thanks.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    There has been exactly 0 changes to lerk since build 227.

That said, it is possible that changes made in the engine have affected lerk flight slighty, but honestly I think not.
    More than likely most people suffer from a lack of knowledge about how lerk flight works intimately... There are several hidden parts of the flight model that even I know very little about.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2056322:date=Jan 4 2013, 09:18 PM:name=RedDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragon @ Jan 4 2013, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure? I mean...how can you really know yourself? You guys don't have the manpower (apparently) or the time to document things properly, so how can you really be sure?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I mean, if he wasn't sure, he could ask around.
    <!--quoteo(post=2056339:date=Jan 4 2013, 10:25 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 4 2013, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There has been exactly 0 changes to lerk since build 227.

That said, it is possible that changes made in the engine have affected lerk flight slighty, but honestly I think not.
    More than likely most people suffer from a lack of knowledge about how lerk flight works intimately... There are several hidden parts of the flight model that even I know very little about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2056322:date=Jan 4 2013, 09:18 PM:name=RedDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragon @ Jan 4 2013, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure? I mean...how can you really know yourself? You guys don't have the manpower (apparently) or the time to document things properly, so how can you really be sure?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2056322:date=Jan 5 2013, 02:18 AM:name=RedDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragon @ Jan 5 2013, 02:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure? I mean...how can you really know yourself? You guys don't have the manpower (apparently) or the time to document things properly, so how can you really be sure?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lerk speed hasn't been changed since build 227, positive.
    But are you Really sure?
    I pretty much only play lerk in pubs these days... so like 10-12 hours a week lerkage...
    Feels diferent to me.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    Lerk hasn't changed

there hasn't even been a recent patch
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    are you really really <b><i>Really</i></b> sure?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I compared the lerk lua files from B227 onward, 0 changes. Any more unnecessary questions about a class people seem extremely over reactive about changes to?
    Its a moot point. If you want to know, you can just compare the values in the LUA files.

My point is that you can't trust changelogs or patch notes, and by the dev's (I think Cory's actually) own admission, they have neither the time nor manpower to properly document their changes. Cory is, very likely, correct. But by his own admission they rarely actually take the time to completely go through their own changelog, so how would he really know?

For that matter, how would any of us know? Its not as though the change logs are ever completely accurate.

Is that an exaggeration? Maybe. But I don't know, simply because its true enough that I can't ever be sure.

This is why you take the time to properly document your updates.
  • shaq_mobileshaq_mobile Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69575Members
    okay, im guessing its because im playing on a mix of combat and regular servers. regular servers i dont seem to notice it as much. combat seems super duper slow, while fade seems pretty ripped. oh well. i could also just chalk it up to excessive alcohol consumption.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2056389:date=Jan 5 2013, 06:01 AM:name=RedDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragon @ Jan 5 2013, 06:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its a moot point. If you want to know, you can just compare the values in the LUA files.

My point is that you can't trust changelogs or patch notes, and by the dev's (I think Cory's actually) own admission, they have neither the time nor manpower to properly document their changes. Cory is, very likely, correct. But by his own admission they rarely actually take the time to completely go through their own changelog, so how would he really know?

For that matter, how would any of us know? Its not as though the change logs are ever completely accurate.

Is that an exaggeration? Maybe. But I don't know, simply because its true enough that I can't ever be sure.

This is why you take the time to properly document your updates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dude, you've had over 10 people tell you it hasn't been changed, just accept it.

Quit being stupid.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    RedDragon, if a dev tells you there have been no changes, just take their word for it. They're not infallible, but not even close to being dumb either.

I think this question has been answered.

<sup><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->*Locked*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></sup>
This discussion has been closed.