Deputy commander in game

nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Those guys that give out orders when they are not commanders.</div>Hey guys. :)

Has it ever happened to you that you are commanding and someone else starts giving out orders over the mic to the other aliens or marines during game. Or maybe someone volunteered to do that since you are a noob commander or just not very good. What do you think about that? Does it get on your nerves that someone is messing with your game or are you just thankful someone is helping you?

What do you think?

By the way I just saw this post about a guy who plays marine commander and is deaf so he can't give orders or hear what marines are saying. Some people think he is legit, some think he is trolling. I think he is really deaf and members of this forum should show they are not unfriendly to new players or disabled and give him some support. Link to that topic: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126705" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=126705</a>

Comments

• MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    Yea I played a game with him, I think he's legitimately deaf.
    Player-organized pushes are nice when the comm seems lost or refuses to listen. The only time I've seen it a detriment is when people tell everyone go for an early rush before the game even starts
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    I prefer it when people start playing backseat commander as that means I don't have to do much of anything. Let that person worry about the tactical aspect of combat while I focus more on the strategical aspect of the map. But then again I'm a pretty lazy commander and prefer playing simcity more than actual commanding. Explains why I predominantly only play alien comm...
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I'm fine with competent players coordinating ground troops. The commanders role doesn't necessarily have to include that anymore.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2055881:date=Jan 4 2013, 10:34 PM:name=PimpToad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PimpToad @ Jan 4 2013, 10:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I prefer it when people start playing backseat commander as that means I don't have to do much of anything. Let that person worry about the tactical aspect of combat while I focus more on the strategical aspect of the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah same man! When I play ladder matches in Starcraft II, I always get my little brother to sit next to me. He worries about the tactical aspect of combat while I focus more on the strategical aspect of the map.

/sarcasm off
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Players that order the team around are great as long as they're good at it. I'm used to playing games where the person in the chair isn't the person commanding the team. That's fine, doesn't have to be him, just has to be someone.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Too many commander don't know wtf they are doing. If you yell for a decent amount of time and actually get the commander to listen to you, you're one of the lucky few.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    no. comms are slack enough already compare to ns1. i can have chips and coffee while i comm and still manage to win.

no.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055895:date=Jan 4 2013, 07:01 AM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Jan 4 2013, 07:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055895"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah same man! When I play ladder matches in Starcraft II, I always get my little brother to sit next to me. He worries about the tactical aspect of combat while I focus more on the strategical aspect of the map.

/sarcasm off<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well looks like someone has a bone to pick with me. You know what the difference is between you and your brother? You are actually playing the game while your brother is just sitting next to you watching you play. He may be offering you some tips on your play, but in the end it's still up to you to play the game. One would think someone of your intelligence could pick up on such a subtle difference, but everyone has an off day every now and then.

What a weak troll, but I'll be nice and give you an A for effort.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2055904:date=Jan 4 2013, 11:38 PM:name=PimpToad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PimpToad @ Jan 4 2013, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well looks like someone has a bone to pick with me. You know what the difference is between you and your brother? You are actually playing the game while your brother is just sitting next to you watching you play. He may be offering you some tips on your play, but in the end it's still up to you to play the game. One would think someone of your intelligence could pick up on such a subtle difference, but everyone has an off day every now and then.

What a weak troll, but I'll be nice and give you an A for effort.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

my point is, you dont see pro starcraft players with a "consultant" sitting next to them to help them multi task, do you?

/smh
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2055909:date=Jan 4 2013, 01:56 PM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Jan 4 2013, 01:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055909"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my point is, you dont see pro starcraft players with a "consultant" sitting next to them to help them multi task, do you?

/smh<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only because there is barely any teamplay or coordination involved in 1on1 matches and 2on2 are a rarity.
    In competitive Quake3Arena the real pro teams used to have timing coaches that kept track of when items on the map are respawning to direct the player actually playing.

I don't mind backseat commanders as long as they don't motivate the team to do the total opposite of what the commander actually wants done. It's especially bad as an "silent commander" that's not using voice. I use teamchat (mostly in caps..) to give out orders as what to do in addition to waypoints. It gets frustrating if you want your team to get elevator (empty except for an alien RT and some cysts) from that PG/Armory at hub, while some guy on voice just keeps on telling people to rush repair because there is an hive there.

In the end we didn't get either of the two and lost the PG, as the team split up in 2 halfs listening to different orders/objectives.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    I talk ALL the time and am constantly reporting "x rt is under attack, "lets try to take x position", "X number of people are in Y location"...quite frankly sometimes I am tired of it and just play silent best I can for a match. People SERIOUSLY need to learn to look at the god damn map. It should be a permanent tool tip loading every map IMO. It's also quite refreshing when the commander does this as well. IN a 8V8 situation if you have 3-4 people who use their map the ###### you can pull off is amazing.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055915:date=Jan 4 2013, 08:11 AM:name=current1y)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (current1y @ Jan 4 2013, 08:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I talk ALL the time and am constantly reporting "x rt is under attack, "lets try to take x position", "X number of people are in Y location"...quite frankly sometimes I am tired of it and just play silent best I can for a match. People SERIOUSLY need to learn to look at the god damn map. It should be a permanent tool tip loading every map IMO. It's also quite refreshing when the commander does this as well. IN a 8V8 situation if you have 3-4 people who use their map the ###### you can pull off is amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah.. I remember writing a tutorial a while back and the first step was to always use the map.. it's really useful when you see someone scout like 5 incoming to your base and your comm doesn't say anything (which luckily is quite rare actually.. in the games I've played normally people are very communicative).

I also try to report as much as I see, and try not to talk when I'm dead.. to make the experience for myself immersive (but, I'll still look at the map to see where I can make some magic happen, or where my comm is directing us). The biggest thing that I'll do is if an upgrade on alien is up (especially carapace).. I'll give the commander a couple seconds to mention it and if he doesn't I'll actually physically type out "carapace is up" and usually say it over the mic too (because I'm aware that people do and do not use sound.. it bothers some people, so be it).

I think what I do is different to "backseat comming" though, because I'm not actually verbally directing players, just providing information of what the battlefield's events are.
  • ZeCruiserZeCruiser Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167991Members
    Yes, backseat commanders are a pain in the rectum. It's not a problem if their suggestions make sense to me, but too often are there people who keep spamming "Need a sentry here! Commander, get sentries here! Are you listening? We NEEEEEED sentries here!" and that's not only a facepalm moment for me, but also incredibly annoying and breaks my concentration a bit. Since I need to at all times read the chat, check the map and go to marine requests, I hate when there is another factor thrown in: having to recognize and ignore troll requests. This happens a lot when someone feels his desire for seeing sentries in the field isn't satisfied, they start spamming pings on the map and "requesting order".

Or when people think we desperately need that second Command Chair, even though it's too early to think about getting jetpacks/exos. And that is really all you need the second CC for. I realize they try to help by pointing out there is an empty tech point where we could place a second CC, but when we are low on extractors (a common problem) then I want all of my res expenditures to count and be worthwhile. So I figure we don't have the means to go for endgame tech yet and choose not to place that CC. Usually I can explain it to people and they seem to understand or accept my reasoning at least.

The real problem comes up when there is that one guy in the team who gets awfully vocal when I don't make the same decisions as he would have made. "Omg, noob comm! Stop doing X or Y and start doing Z!" or a series of *sighs* follow every action and that really distracts me. I've had that just a few days ago.

Sure, you can just mute everyone who doesn't cooperate and behaves too immaturely, but they can still spam requests. That's a feature we really, really need, the ability to mute the requests and pings from individual marines, so I can keep doing my job as commander without having an annoying marine trying to distract me with all his might.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    I do it because the vast majority of commanders and players have no idea what they're supposed to be doing. Not that it matters since nobody ever listens.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    I think it matters most the type of commander you have (or want to be that day).

Some commanders want it all, be the leader of all that is their team, shout movement orders and all.. Some commanders are fine acknowledging that they can also play the support role. I am fine being the support role, I some times get into the chair with more experienced players on the ground calling the shots for the team. my job at that point is to manage team resources and provide them what they need to get the job they are trying to do done.

I say 6 of one, half a dozen the other..
  • JamlJaml Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9054Members
    It depends. If someone is polite and gives suggestions im fine with it. The thing i hate is those people that at the start of the map never go commander but then complain about every decision the comm makes. If you´re that much better then step into the chair yourself or stfu.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I appreciate someone on the ground to be "second in command" since they get a better idea of how circumstances really look for the troops on the ground than the commander. If your team's ideas are streamlined with your own and they instinctively push to the places you intended to go for next, it's a dream.
  • misterrothsteinmisterrothstein Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177436Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055915:date=Jan 4 2013, 05:11 AM:name=current1y)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (current1y @ Jan 4 2013, 05:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I talk ALL the time and am constantly reporting "x rt is under attack, "lets try to take x position", "X number of people are in Y location"...quite frankly sometimes I am tired of it and just play silent best I can for a match. People SERIOUSLY need to learn to look at the god damn map. It should be a permanent tool tip loading every map IMO. It's also quite refreshing when the commander does this as well. IN a 8V8 situation if you have 3-4 people who use their map the ###### you can pull off is amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could not agree with you more! In fact, I made a video in an attempt to encourage people to do just that.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAufbI3zd5U" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAufbI3zd5U</a>

After the game in the video was over the commander said thank you for the help, because he was a bit inexperienced. In response to the OP's question: it depends. If the commander and most people on my team know what they are doing I tend to keep quiet, apart from to report what I deem important information. On the other hand, like in this video, I might be vocal in an attempt to win the game.

I do share the frustration when you are trying to command and someone is constantly undermining you. They usually don't have a clue what they are talking about, and quite frankly these people ruin the game for me even more than people who don't use their map.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055925:date=Jan 4 2013, 08:38 AM:name=ZeCruiser)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZeCruiser @ Jan 4 2013, 08:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they can still spam requests. That's a feature we really, really need, the ability to mute the requests and pings from individual marines, so I can keep doing my job as commander without having an annoying marine trying to distract me with all his might.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a really good idea.. have a button next to each person's audio mute for alertness muting.
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    I'll be a backseat commander in a few different situations.

1. The commander isn't talking and everyone is running off on their own.

2. When no one is listening to the commander because he comes off as whiney and too demanding.

3. I just watched the same commander fail hard with the exact same strategy last game. I had a great example of this one yesterday. The commander had everyone running to nano to hold it without anyone going anywhere else. We lost bad as the aliens took the entire map as we tried holding nano. When the next game started and he tried getting everyone to go hold nano again, I spoke up and put an end to it. You have to learn from your mistakes commanders! While a doubpe res point is nice, it shouldn't be the only/most important priority.
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    I do this all the time. A lot of the time a comm gets tasked so much. On the server I play on I rally the troops to hit the right spot at the right time. That usually turns into a win. I have turned we are about to loose into a win because of such situations.

As a comm it can be hard to see the enemies weekness
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tRgcwT9X2J8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tRgcwT9X2J8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

I shot the commandeeer.....! But I did not shoot the de-pu-tyyyy.....

I SHOT THE COMMANDEEER....

BUT I DID NOT SHOOT THE DEPUTY....
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    edited January 2013
    i think those players are doing good cause when they start to command "in the field", but only if they know what they are doing.

1. it will help commander to improve that is in the seat.

2. it will help your team to win.

i'm not saying that there is only 1 way to play this game and everything else is wrong, i'm saying that if commander doesn't have clue what he's doing, these "field commanders" are doing the right cause. If you have some different strategy in your mind you want to do, you need to just tell this deputy to standback and let you command.

however, i've seen players who has no clue what to do and starts to give orders to commanders "build this, build that, upgrade that NOW" is just pain in the ass and usually i just ignore them.

in conclusion, don't do this unless you really know what you are doing, if you are not sure just leave commanding to commander.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the khamm or another player is not already cooridnating the team, then I will attempt to give the team some general guidelines. Like if they're all just sitting around and no one is saying anything, I might say, "You two skulks in sub access, push through overlook and clear out skylights". Tends to work pretty well, but I only do this if our team is acting like they don't know how to play and the khamm isn't already doing it.

I am always calling out marine's locations and where they are pushing and what's under attack since 95% of the khamms I've played with don't do it ><.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do voice comm a lot even when I'm not commanding although it depends if the commander is vocal or not. If he knows what he is doing and gives out orders then I will usually alert to people if some place on the map is under attack or I'll give a recommendation on what to upgrade next based on what enemy tech there is or where to attack but I won't order people around unless I'm asking for backup.

Every blinking building (that isnt a sentry) I see that someone else isn't communicating about then I'll usually shout it out. I'll often tell people to phase to an area that's under attack, alert when there's too many people in an area, etc. Imo being overly vocal > no vocal. If at least one guy can feed information to the team with voice comm then it can completely change the game.

Also I want more people to learn marine command. Half of my games that I want to play marine soldier I'm forced to command because otherwise we fall too far behind too early on. This isn't too bad in large servers but I'm playing on 16/16 to 20/20 servers and it's still tough to find dedicated people who want to comm games.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I tend to do a good bit of 'deputy comm' in games, but with limitations. I never talk over or contradict the comm, and I don't 'tell' him to do things. The majority of what I do is watching the map for incomings and calling them out, since "Your base is under attack" doesn't tell much, not to mention often the power node attacks don't get warnings at all. I have my map open often to keep a watchful eye on our assets. When a couple Onos are attacking a base, even if there are people on defence, many times they are too busy shooting and trying to stay alive to call it out. So if I see it, I call it out.

Usually the extent of my 'deputy comm' activities are directly related to how active the comm is on the mic. If he is very active I will stick to just calling out incomings and such. If he isn't I will 'suggest' (not demand) possible options and/or builds. (Like calling for a beacon if things look dire, or suggesting an arms lab if it's been a while and marines are dying too fast etc...) A 'second in command' can work well *if* they know and understand the game and *if* they respect the commander. Hey, if someone thinks they are a better commander then get in the chair, don't try and usurp command while in the field. However you can complement the commander in many cases so that while he is working with one group of marines on one task, the others can be kept informed of what's happening elsewhere.

It's all situational though. The nature of the game will depend on the commander, since there are some really good ones that are able to micromanage everything, and others that can barely manage to drop a medpack when asked.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    I think people who judge for themselves if the comm is good or not based on their own opinion are just detrimental to the game, shut up and listen to your commander while he commands and if he proves himself to be incompetent or new just eject him, but don't talk over him and ruin his plans while they are in progress and then proceed to blame him, thats the sort of backseat commander who ruins this game.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2056024:date=Jan 4 2013, 02:11 PM:name=Angry Child)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Child @ Jan 4 2013, 02:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->listen to your commander while he commands and if he proves himself to be ... new just eject him<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->No, it's *your* kind of attitude that ruins the game. If he is new, no you do NOT eject him for being new. You HELP him so that he won't be 'new' anymore and he is a better player.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    If the comm isn't giving any direction to the team then it's perfectly fine for other players to step up and make suggestions. They should not give specific orders to individual players, but they should advise the team on what to do if nobody else is coordinating things. If I say "Guys get back to base a skulk rush is coming" it's understood that I'm not the comm and don't have actual authority over the team, I don't need to sugarcoat it with "comm skulks are coming could you please tell everyone to come back thank you".

If you're commanding, in most cases people will defer to you and trust your judgment if you establish a strong presence over voice chat. If you do not, don't be surprised when you lose control of the team.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2056029:date=Jan 4 2013, 09:17 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 4 2013, 09:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->your kind of attitude that ruins the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is a pretty direct and pathetic way to twist my meaning, I help new commanders all the time, but we have rookie servers for a reason, new players who dont even know what a phase gate is should not be hopping into the command chair and ruining the game for other people.