Things I think the game could benefit from..

BriqBriq Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177318Members
I think the game is pretty fun and balanced as it is, but I feel like there are a few things that could be added to bring the game up another notch:

1) Horizontal progression of some kind. The game is fun, which is reason enough to play it, but who doesn't enjoy working toward a secondary goal at the same time? Maybe a leveling system that leads to unlocking different armor or weapon skins, different colors, emblems, nothing ground breaking, but fun nonetheless.

2) An incentive to stay in a losing game. Other than to be a good sport there's no reason whatsoever to stay in a losing game. You can tell with about 90% certainty who's going to win a game after the first 15 minutes or so, but these games often take another half hour or so to actually end. This leads to a mass exodus of the losing team, followed by unsuspecting players joining the server just to be stomped on themselves until they either leave or the game ends.

These two things could actually be tied into one another, such as not getting any experience or whatever points from the match unless you stay until it ends. I probably haven't suggested anything that hasn't been suggested before, but that's okay.

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055626:date=Jan 3 2013, 06:48 PM:name=Briq)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Briq @ Jan 3 2013, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) Horizontal progression of some kind
    2) An incentive to stay in a losing game. .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are pretty much dead on, the only thing that could possibly promote people to stay in a losing game is if there was say character xp levels like in Planetside 2 that gave you say titles/rewards/etc....
  • TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    How about an incentive to stay in a winning game as well? I often find myself just F4ing when either a loss or a win is obvious. I'd say nine times out of ten you can even tell what the result will be after the first five minutes.
  • BriqBriq Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177318Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055644:date=Jan 3 2013, 07:27 PM:name=TSADrone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSADrone @ Jan 3 2013, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about an incentive to stay in a winning game as well? I often find myself just F4ing when either a loss or a win is obvious. I'd say nine times out of ten you can even tell what the result will be after the first five minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well it's less of an issue for the winners because they're having too much fun to care about how long the game is taking. The losers have much less or no fun at all, and I can't say I blame them for leaving. People play games to have fun themselves, not to give other people enjoyment at their expense. An incentive to stay in a losing game would help alleviate this.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    To fix it for the winning team, you'd simply add "superweapons" (large expenditures the winning team can use to decisively and quickly end the game, but which are inefficient unless you control the entire map and just need a way to make the final push) or you'd ensure all teams (*cough*Marines*cough*) are weak enough on 1 tech point that they're quickly killed.

I certainly like the idea of lateral progression unlocking skins or other customization options. Couldn't really be anything gameplay-related but there's still plenty of opportunity for non-gameplay unlocks.
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Maybe they can create a virtual hat trading economy too.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055704:date=Jan 3 2013, 06:52 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Jan 3 2013, 06:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055704"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe they can create a virtual hat trading economy too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can criticize the TF2 hat system all you want, but that idea was a money and popularity goldmine for TF2. I could only hope UWE creates a system that doesn't affect gameplay yet prolongs NS2's playerbase lifetime like that.
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    Maybe you should build up a bar as you play and when it's full you can unleash your super power.

Just saying.

:)
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055626:date=Jan 4 2013, 12:48 AM:name=Briq)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Briq @ Jan 4 2013, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the game is pretty fun and balanced as it is, but I feel like there are a few things that could be added to bring the game up another notch:

1) Horizontal progression of some kind. The game is fun, which is reason enough to play it, but who doesn't enjoy working toward a secondary goal at the same time? Maybe a leveling system that leads to unlocking different armor or weapon skins, different colors, emblems, nothing ground breaking, but fun nonetheless.

2) An incentive to stay in a losing game. Other than to be a good sport there's no reason whatsoever to stay in a losing game. You can tell with about 90% certainty who's going to win a game after the first 15 minutes or so, but these games often take another half hour or so to actually end. This leads to a mass exodus of the losing team, followed by unsuspecting players joining the server just to be stomped on themselves until they either leave or the game ends.

These two things could actually be tied into one another, such as not getting any experience or whatever points from the match unless you stay until it ends. I probably haven't suggested anything that hasn't been suggested before, but that's okay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be pretty fine with point 1 as long as it stays cosmetic.
    Point 2 is clearly needed, but I think it's mostly an alien side problem, with the 1 egg remaining, waiting half an hour to spawn just so you can get killed in 1 split second.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    edited January 2013
    as long as these rewards doesn't affect actual gameplay in ANYWAY nor modifies ANY stats, i'm all fine ! if rewards are all visual / texture / sound whatever, i'm all in for it.

I stopped playing TF2 the minute these rewards stepped in that chanced the whole behavior of certain class or weapon, i just lost intrest.

edit : before someone asks why rewards shouldn't do nothing that improves or alters your character, well answer is simple, because now everyone is not in same line with everyone, someone has some weird weapon that you can't access is just plain stupid.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2013
    1) For every 10 points you score you get one readyroom snowball
    2) You don't get your snowballs if you leave before the game is finished

Something like this maybe? :)