The biggest problems that ruin my enjoyment of the game.

scaramooshscaramoosh Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176621Members
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
1. No mini map

2. The UI is a mess, it is so hard to understand and get used to

3. The interface over buying stuff, it is just so confusing, takes ages to work out where to go and what to do to get stuff. Constantly when I played Marines for the first time I was like where do I get this? Where playing an Alien you press B...... like why couldn't the Marines just have the same thing?

4. Aliens have this thermal vision which is so OP because the Marines don't, this makes it so much harder to spot the aliens giving them such an advantage. I don't understand why either as we have Thermal vision now, it isn't like humans could never invent it, in fact it is much more unlikely that the Aliens have it.

5. Marines going up vents, it is quit clear they aren't made for it as their heads poke into the ceiling.

6. Marines movement sucks, it is so slow but you get no feeling of weight, the camera is just a slow glide... I want some animation and camera movement like modern FPS games have. With Quake it was fine because the movement was so fast, it just feels bad when it is like a walking pace.

7. The Guns feels like ######, they don't shake the camera, they feel all floaty and so again like the movement you feel like there is no weight to anything. The is a poor selection of guns too, none of them feel very good and there is so little ammo..... why? The Aliens can just keep on attacking and attacking with no penalty but we have an ammo disadvantage too? They need Iron sights too! I hate playing a modern shooter without these unless it is fast like UT or Quake.

8. The game never gives you clear information over what is going on, the map is pretty much useless here too. Like why is it important to save certain bases? Where are they? Where should I go? Having to open the map each time to look is so annoying, there should just be clear points like BF which are shown on a mini map.

9. What does the commander do? So Far I haven't seen their role have any impact. Surely they should be commanding, laying out points on the map and giving commands. Yet when I look at the UI I see nothing, no commands or anything. Where I see that a base is being attack I wonder where is that? Why can't there be waypoints? The map doesn't show clear routes, quite often you'll be on a different level to the door and spend most the time working out where to find it lol.

10. Some attacks that are unlocks should be standard, Marines should have a sprint, aliens should have that leap as standard too.

11. Things take too long to unlock, most of the time the match is over before I get them.

12. Lack of modes, there only seems to be one which is basically Dota without the mobs, I've played on so many servers and can never find like TDM or like a fun Source Forts like mode or something.

13. The Jet pack feels crap, it is so OP but also again no weight or physics to it, feels like flying in WoW lol.

14. Crawling on walls and the ceiling sucks, I hate how the perspective doesn't change, I have no idea why I cannot turn the option on. Also your alien doesn't automatically transverse ledges that stick out, instead you have to like jump but often just fall down... it should just be all automatic like Ass Creed.

15. The Auto balance feature sucks, why not do it automatically rather than just stopping you from spawning?

There is just too much wrong with the game atm and the Marines are just so horrible to play, they don't feel half as satisfying as the aliens.

Comments

• AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • butterbutter Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177368Members
    This dude has to be a troll. Everything he mentioned is patently false.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    This Is The Most Epic Troll Post Ever
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    You never wanted NS2, the game you wanted was something else. If you're not willing to respect the artistic integrity of a game developer no one wants to hear your opinion.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Wait... so you mean this whole time, I haven't been playing CS:S?

wtf.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited January 2013
    I don't think all your points are false, but some of them do smack a little of an unwillingness to learn.

1. Marines have a minimap, the aliens have hive sight. I'm sure that certain people would benefit more from one than the other, but overall I think each has its own pros and cons and they are equally as effective.

2. Yes, this is a common complaint. The commanding UIs are a bit confusing, and the equipment purchase UIs could potentially be a bit more fluid. Luckily, neither is necessary to simply play the game and contribute meaningfully to your team. With experience you will be able to find your way around these interfaces much faster, though I agree, they could use some work.

3. At first glance it may seem like the alien version is better, but the marine version has its advantages, and it has its limitations for strategic reasons, not simply to limit the player. First of all, any alien upgrade takes time for the player, no marine "upgrades do". Secondly, certain marine technology is limited by the places where you can acquire them. Most obviously the Exo, which is slow, can only be equipped from a prototype lab, which most commanders place in their main base. Also, high tech weaponry like grenade launchers and flamethrowers can typically only be bought from main base as well.

4. Aliens also lose sight of their target every time they attack, when the mouth closes. This is basically one of the important reasons why aliens need the thermal vision. Not simply to be able to find marines in a room, but to be able to find marines while trying to bite them. Without being able to clearly differentiate your target while biting, things can become very confusing.

5. I agree with this point. I don't like the idea of marines in vents. Jetpack marines in vents however... I'm undecided on.

6. I feel that first person movement in NS2, while not groundbreaking in anyway, still has more of a "feeling of weight" than, for example, the source engine does. Compared to games like COD or BF3, it does seem to have little feedback, but those games are trying to be realistic sims. This is just an arcade game.

7. In my opinion, the guns feel like that because they need to feel like that. Compared to most games, NS requires a great deal of raw aim, and as such can only suffer from having hyper realistic gun recoil animations. If you think that you would be more accurate against a skulk or lerk while using iron sights, you are poorly mistaken. Equally as important as aim is movement, and you can't move properly while looking down ironsights.

8. NS is an RTS, BF is not. In BF, important locations are arbitrarily given, and you have no say in the matter. In an RTS, you decide which points are important. Its a part of the game; determining which locations on the map are of strategic importance, then formulating ways of locking them down. As for knowing what is going on, it comes with practice. Experienced players will be able to tell you exactly what is vulnerable, what is being attacked, what needs to be attacked, and a lot more, simply by looking at the map for 2 or 3 seconds.

9. I think your clear distaste for the game is preventing you from meaningfully learning your environment. A veteran player should take between 2 to 3 games to learn an NS map back to front. A new player should take no more than 6 or 7. If you haven't completely learned the map by that point, then you simply aren't trying to, and blaming the map itself for your unwillingness is just silly. As for the commanders impact, who do you think drops structures? Those turrets that covered your ass are from the commander. That forward armory that you got health and ammo from, was put there by the commander.

10. During the beta testing phases of NS2, leap was a default ability that the alien skulk started with. However, due to leaps immense power in combat, it had to be a watered down version of leap, because it proved too powerful against marines who had no shotguns and no gun upgrades. This ultimately reduced the enjoyment one got from playing the skulk. In the end they decided to make leap more powerful, but made the aliens require 2 hives to get it.

11. This can come down to what your commander has decided is best. Frequently even I as commander will forego upgrades for my players in order to take more control of the map. This may be a disadvantage to my players initially, but eventually the territory held will produce superior resources, and allow teching which eventually beats the other team. If you are finding you can't choose higher lifeforms as aliens, then you may be being too wreckless as skulk. When you die, you stop getting resources, and if done too often, this can severely slow you down.

12. I think I just got to the troll points. Hmmm, now I'm regretting writing everything before this. Oh well, might as well press on.

13. I have to disagree. I think it feels like it has a lot of weight to it.

14. It comes with practice. UWE have been doing this wall climbing stuff for 10 years now. Even though they are just a small indie company, in this respect, I believe there is no one more qualified. The wall climbing is the only way it can be at the moment, it just takes some practice to master.
  • scaramooshscaramoosh Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176621Members
    edited January 2013
    I have to add the game doesn't really shown the damage you're taking well enough, one min you can be at full health with the Onos and the next you can be dead and it is like WTF? The only thing to indicate my health is a small circle at the bottom.... My screen should be going all crazy to show I need to get outta there.

Also the Onos attacks... it's like am I attacking? Where is the animation? Feels like I'm doing nothing.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    This Guy, Hi this guy!
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2055770:date=Jan 4 2013, 06:50 AM:name=scaramoosh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scaramoosh @ Jan 4 2013, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thunderbolts & Lightning<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Will you do the Fandango?
    I'm going to add other things...

- People rage quit all the time and auto balance does nothing to balance teams, it should automatically put people on the other team but it doesn't.

- The waiting room thing is pointless, all people do is go AFK in there so people cannot join and play the game. I don't get why it is even there? Just have a UI like every other game where you select your team.

- So often commanders quit and you're left with none and lose so quick as a result. People just don't want to play a commander, it isn't fun and not why you get into playing the game. I just don't see the point of the role, just give the role to players to build structures or whatever using resources.

- Hit detection seems so suspect, often I run past a corner and then get hit.

- I hate the mouth perspective, so often I get hit in places I don't think they can see me because I get the impression I'm smaller than I am. I should look through my ######ing eyes so I can tell my actual size.
    Also I don't see how it is trolling to come up with accurate criticism.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2055833:date=Jan 4 2013, 08:35 PM:name=scaramoosh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scaramoosh @ Jan 4 2013, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also I don't see how it is trolling to come up with accurate criticism.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

accurate criticism when you're complaining about no minimap? there's been a minimap since 2003 so GTFO.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    don't feed the troll D; he start's trolling more as he prove

because clearly this is trollpost 1. most of things he listed isn't even true 2. rest of things is just ignorance and doesn't want to learn.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055833:date=Jan 4 2013, 04:35 AM:name=scaramoosh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scaramoosh @ Jan 4 2013, 04:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also I don't see how it is trolling to come up with accurate criticism.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well you're just wrong regardless, you want cod with aliens, no thanks
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I can't see this thread going anywhere..

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->LOCKED<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
This discussion has been closed.