Skill Reward System

machemache Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177262Members
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a suggestion to invite some of the more competitive players to the game.

If you take a look at most of the top selling and popular games they have some kind of system to reward players in the long run, for example;
<i>Battlefield 2/3</i>, Ranks, and weapon/skill unlocks...

<i>Heroes of Newerth</i>, Skill Rating; rewarding players if they play good with earning skill points and coins for them to use to buy skins, and anouncer voices. And if you're on the losing team, you still get coins, but loses skill rating...

<i>Starcraft 2</i>, uses different leagues to devide more experienced players, from less experienced. Aswell as achievements, to keep players striving to achieve more and more difficult tasks...

Dota 2...
Call of Duty series...
Leage of Legends...

And so on.

I and the ones I've talked with believe this is a good idea to keep people playing in the long run. Often when a game ends, and you've made a great job for example as commander, but that recognition ends as soon as a new game starts.

A award system of for doing a great job in the team, and/or being part of the victorious team would boost your moral and makes you want to play one more game, to perhaps climb in rank. That way a victory would really matter to you, and makes everybody in the team wanting to work toghether and make that happen.

I know this game is moddable, but if I understand correctly the modded servers are colored in yellow. That way you could just turn the ranking off at all modded servers.

Comments

• FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I really dont care for a system like this, except that I dont want one that makes a player get an advantage by having played more.
    Also I suspect it would make players play less for the team, and more to get a good k:d ratio.
  • machemache Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177262Members
    I did not mention anything about any advantage. It's a matter of text or maybe skins and such; showing for example, my skill rating, and how many wins, vs losses I've got.

The skill rating could work as in Heroes of Newerth; as a team wins, the players in that team are distributed individual points depending on what their current rating are.
    for example, if you've got 2000 rating, you would perhaps gain 5 points of rating for a win, as for a player at 1000 rating, would recive 20 points. And vice versa for a loss, meaning you would lose 20 instead of gaining.

That way you could balance teams more efficiently making every games more even.
    For those playing with friends; there could be a system that checks if they are friends on steam, and protecting them from being balanced over one by one.

For the K:D ratio,
    Every game doesn't meassure players kills to death ratio, and that is just one of many options to show in your stats page in NS2.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited January 2013
    Bah... *Points to matchmaking thread*
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    I would like this and a way to see your stats before you get into games too however I would not want it to give any sort of advantage for longer playing players as this will take the focus away from teamwork.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    I always thought the reward for playing was having fun, winning, joining a community, and making friends. NO, I MUST HAVE A NUMBER NEXT TO MY NAME OR I AM NOT HAVING FUN.
  • machemache Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177262Members
    #SixtyWattMan

That is somewhat true, for casual players, numbers and stats doesn't matter. They just want to play maby one or two games a day. As for the mid-core and hardcore players, they want to see how their skill slowly takes form, advancing more and more.

Personaly I do belive a "number" would make it much more fun, aswell as I mentioned earlier it would make it easier to balance the teams. And what SainK said, you could see their skill before you join a game, and perhaps, for the rookie servers you may have a restriction to be under a certain amount of points to be able to join.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Well ns2 is a social game. Make a name for yourself as a good commander ;). I think that might be more rewarding than any "you are promoted to master sergeant of sergeants, major captain warrant officer. Here, have a special gun".

*Beyond that, if you play on ns2stat servers, your commander wins etc get recorded and you can check them out at ns2stats.org
    <!--quoteo(post=2055569:date=Jan 3 2013, 05:20 PM:name=mache)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mache @ Jan 3 2013, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->#SixtyWattMan

That is somewhat true, for casual players, numbers and stats doesn't matter. They just want to play maby one or two games a day. As for the mid-core and hardcore players, they want to see how their skill slowly takes form, advancing more and more.

Personaly I do belive a "number" would make it much more fun, aswell as I mentioned earlier it would make it easier to balance the teams. And what SainK said, you could see their skill before you join a game, and perhaps, for the rookie servers you may have a restriction to be under a certain amount of points to be able to join.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The hardcore do not care about leveling at all, the autistic do.
  • LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055587:date=Jan 3 2013, 02:45 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Jan 3 2013, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The hardcore do not care about leveling at all, the autistic do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that's wrong.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055587:date=Jan 3 2013, 02:45 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Jan 3 2013, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The hardcore do not care about leveling at all, the autistic do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that's wrong.

well that's wrong.

well that's wrong.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Achievements / Rewards / Ranking / stats tracking / assorted faeces for breakfast ? just. no.
    All of them can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

You end up with people playing to get x achievement or rank or points or whatever other pile of lame crap games use to cover for the fact that playing the game itself is quite boring and not enough of a reward.

NS2 does not need this and I really hope it never gets it.

Btw Achievements to unlock better weapons and direct skill upgrades ala BF3? Probably the worst idea I have ever seen in a game bar pay to win. You give better weapons to people who grind away to get them and what do you get? Half the game's population playing on a 64 player metro server because it's the fastest way to grind some new weapons. I can already picture people joining 60 player summit rounds just to get fast kills etc to unlock crap or build ranke etc. LAME! That and anyone who attempts to start playing late gets the double whammy of being new to the game AND being at a disadvantage equipment wise making noobs even easier prey for veterans.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    reward for skill or reward for farming?
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    It took me some time to figure out where I heard about it but there it is:

<a href="http://fr.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/349170584" target="_blank">http://fr.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/349170584</a>

In the last Dev Q&A Session around 19min you'll hear Charlie saying he's been working on such a system.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055852:date=Jan 4 2013, 05:11 AM:name=Ender_74)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ender_74 @ Jan 4 2013, 05:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It took me some time to figure out where I heard about it but there it is:

<a href="http://fr.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/349170584" target="_blank">http://fr.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/349170584</a>

In the last Dev Q&A Session around 19min you'll hear Charlie saying he's been working on such a system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ######.
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055797:date=Jan 4 2013, 07:39 AM:name=Seahunts)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seahunts @ Jan 4 2013, 07:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 does not need this and I really hope it never gets it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We don't know what Charlie has in store for us. Let's wait until we know more and then comment.

I for one would welcome any meta change in the game. TF2 has better weapons for grinders but they were not OP, just slightly better and they gave you different bonuses. Noob were not so helpless.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Your skill is rewarded when your team wins.

/thread
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055586:date=Jan 3 2013, 06:45 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jan 3 2013, 06:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well ns2 is a social game. Make a name for yourself as a good commander ;). I think that might be more rewarding than any "you are promoted to master sergeant of sergeants, major captain warrant officer. Here, have a special gun".

*Beyond that, if you play on ns2stat servers, your commander wins etc get recorded and you can check them out at ns2stats.org<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahah, thank you so much for bringing that up. I am glad at least someone on here has seen...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_msAKWdOs" target="_blank">Duty Calls</a>
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055901:date=Jan 4 2013, 05:23 AM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Jan 4 2013, 05:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your skill is rewarded when your team wins.

/thread<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HALLOO ITS 2013!
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    I don't think the player base for ns2 is anywhere near as big as sc2/dota/lol so having divisions of skill probably wont work.

For me, something as simple as stat tracking would keep me striving to do better. Keep track of my wins vs loses, kill vs deaths, wins/loses as comm... etc.
  • TehSlenderManTehSlenderMan Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177361Members
    As others have mentioned, this would absolutely destroy what NS2 is supposed to be. It would utterly wreck the game. I don't even know why you are mentioning such a foul system for a game like this. That's like adding a ranking system to Counter Strike and adding custom classes.