Rookies

TimTim Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111958Members
Hi,

New accounts in NS2 should need to play through a basic tutorial. The basic tutorial needs to cover the very basics of commanding and ground unit play.
The tutorial should also emphasise new players get experience on rookie friendly servers. Currently there are way too many new players on non-rookie servers.

The rookies are ruining the gameplay on non-rookie servers. It might be fine having an influx of rookies every now and then - but since NS2 has been released it seems we have a new wave every single week. They're also overly willing to jump in the command chair without playing the FPS game for a while - ruining the matches for both teams.

There needs to be some further controls put into place - or an option for "experienced" players that needs to be ticked. This can restrict rookies from joining servers ticked for experienced players.

Comments

• Jman117Jman117 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154698Members
    edited December 2012
    I don't remember if the game does this or not, but it recommend to rookies that they should play on rookie servers. But regardless, there REALLY needs to be a solid tutorial for both commanders and ground forces.

I was in a game today when two rookies both dashed for the command chair when the game started- one of them got stuck inside the chair when the other one activated it, and he didn't know how to open it back up. It was kind of hilarious trying to explain how to click the logout button :P
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    I actually would like rookie to not be able to be a commander, not sure how this would work because you could end up with an all rookie team, or the 1 non rookie doesn't want to command and the game starts with no one being able to command that wants to...

So really my want is pointless, just that it seems so silly to have someone in charge of everything that doesn't really know what's going on. Specially since sentries or whips as fast as possible is so tempting.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052779:date=Dec 29 2012, 11:20 AM:name=LilbitHeartless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LilbitHeartless @ Dec 29 2012, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually would like rookie to not be able to be a commander, not sure how this would work because you could end up with an all rookie team, or the 1 non rookie doesn't want to command and the game starts with no one being able to command that wants to...

So really my want is pointless, just that it seems so silly to have someone in charge of everything that doesn't really know what's going on. Specially since sentries or whips as fast as possible is so tempting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is one of the few reasons I'd support a ranking system.
    BF 2142 did this very well, essentially you applied to be commander and by default the highest ranked person who applied got the spot.

That said I did command a bit in my rookie time and I did point out I cold build and work orders but someone else would have to jump in to work the upgrades (Oddly the hardest part for me to figure out despite being almost the same as most other FPS games.)
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    You should help them learn instead of wanting to keep them out of games.
  • TalVerdTalVerd Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176706Members
    also something that might help with that would be to not have really really good players going into "rookie friendly" servers and completely owning the rookies on the team opposite the good player. Maybe then the rookies would actually go to the rookie servers
  • EricMeerstraEricMeerstra Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176680Members
    Im not that far out of the rookie stage, but for me, I joined whatver servers had low ping and room. The noob servers with under 100 ms ping, were always full.
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    I was unlisted as a Rookie after one day. Maybe that was a little too early. Also had problems finding the upgrade buttons in commander mode and understand how the tech-tree has changed form NS¹ especially that aliens also have to research new abilities now. The rest (waypoints, buildings) should be quite intuitive.
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052788:date=Dec 29 2012, 01:12 PM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 01:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is one of the few reasons I'd support a ranking system.
    BF 2142 did this very well, essentially you applied to be commander and by default the highest ranked person who applied got the spot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be a great solution, but also the game should wait for everybody to load the map to start the countdown to start the game.
    It happens quite frequently that somebody who didn't really want to be commander jump in the station because he saw nobody willing to do it, but in fact the one who was a good commander and wanted to just didn't loaded the map yet.