Game won't start

Fallen WolfFallen Wolf Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176768Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Using Windows eight, game just shows a black screen but I cannot play</div>I can hear the sounds of the menu but everything is completely black, anyone know what I can do? I have windows 8 computer and I am pretty sure that is the cause

Comments

• Fallen WolfFallen Wolf Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176768Members
    Also it stays on the black screen as if it was running (I can move the mouse around and here the mouse hover over the buttons and the music, etc.) but there is no image. I bought a new windows eight computer to play just this game, I have a good enough graphics card for it, i5 intel, and it started on my old windows 7 computer that had 4 fps on ns2. I can't seem to find any topics about this. Help?
  • AlphaWolfAlphaWolf Join Date: 2003-01-11 Member: 12175Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2053338:date=Dec 30 2012, 12:59 PM:name=Fallen Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fallen Wolf @ Dec 30 2012, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also it stays on the black screen as if it was running (I can move the mouse around and here the mouse hover over the buttons and the music, etc.) but there is no image. I bought a new windows eight computer to play just this game, I have a good enough graphics card for it, i5 intel, and it started on my old windows 7 computer that had 4 fps on ns2. I can't seem to find any topics about this. Help?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm running 8 here, not having any problems. Did you start with a stock install of windows, or did you leave it with the OEM setup? If the later, I'd suggest doing a full reformat using your OEM key on a stock windows 8 ISO.

If you don't want to do that, I'd then suggest wiping the included graphics driver and install one from either ATI or Nvidia's website (whichever IHV you have.)
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    ok the intel i5 is the processor not the graphics card firstly. Next Windows 8 has issues with lots of games at present.
    Suggested fixes taken from Windows live forums for similar game issues.

1) Run in compatibility mode for windows 7
    2) Check your graphics drivers are up to date
    3) If you're graphics drivers are up to date consider installing the beta graphics drivers for your card.
    4) Make sure you have most Direct X versions installed

Try these, if it doesn't work then you'll have to wait as from what I've heard around the issue is mostly the Windows OS and very rarely the games themselves. Microsoft is apparently working on a fix but no news as to when its coming
    <!--quoteo(post=2053349:date=Dec 30 2012, 12:42 PM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 30 2012, 12:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok the intel i5 is the processor not the graphics card firstly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think he's saying that, rather that he has a good enough graphics card in addition to an intel i5. Though the i5 actually *is* a GPU given that it has intel's GMA baked in on the die (or at least most of them do AFAIK.)

Though I'm kind of wondering what graphics card he is referring to; if it's an intel GMA series then that could be his issue as those aren't known for their compatibility.
    Date: 12/30/12
    Time: 09:47:19
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 235
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: Intel® HD Graphics (9.17.10.2828)
    Sound Device: Speakers / Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC) stereo
    Record Device: Rear Mic (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 235
    Steam Id: 55580779
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.

This is what I am getting from the log. nothing but that. Do I have to reinstall ns2?
    This worked for me!:
    Go to %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2

edit system_options.xml the line that says <window-mode>

Change from <window-mode>fullscreen</window-mode>

to

<window-mode>windowed</window-mode>
    Thanks unter_hosen!
    It seems based on your log that you are using intel GMA. If you notice poor performance in ns2, you'll gain the most benefit by adding a discrete graphics card. But if you're doing just fine, there's no need to change anything.

Happy fragging!