Xenocide cancel working as intended?

AlphaWolfAlphaWolf Join Date: 2003-01-11 Member: 12175Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Used to be you could xeno followed by bite</div>In NS1, one of my favorite xeno tactics was to xeno > leap > bite. This doesn't work now though, when you bite it cancels xenocide.

Is this working as intended, or is it a bug?

Comments

• SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Xeno should be considered as non-functional currently in NS2. It's "in" the game, but it's not worth using right now. It needs tweaking to be a thing that you actually do.
  • AlphaWolfAlphaWolf Join Date: 2003-01-11 Member: 12175Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052767:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:40 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 29 2012, 06:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xeno should be considered as non-functional currently in NS2. It's "in" the game, but it's not worth using right now. It needs tweaking to be a thing that you actually do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it is worth doing to break a marine turtle if you have a lerk run in and spore, followed by one or two skulks using xeno. You can demolish a group of marines that way, only problem is such a thing is hard to set up in a pub.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052767:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:40 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 29 2012, 06:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xeno should be considered as non-functional currently in NS2. It's "in" the game, but it's not worth using right now. It needs tweaking to be a thing that you actually do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol People still think Xenocide is bad.
    <!--quoteo(post=2052777:date=Dec 29 2012, 07:17 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 29 2012, 07:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol People still think Xenocide is bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You would benefit yourself and the community by being a little less condescending to other members.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2052777:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:17 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 29 2012, 06:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol People still think Xenocide is bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It <b>is</b> bad.

The only time I've ever seen it effective is on a 100 player server. There's just so many better things you could be doing than explode, nearly kill (but not kill) the 2-5 marines in the blast radius, just to have them get all their health and armour back in the armory while you wait ages to respawn and not get any res while that's happening. It's a 3rd hive ability.. and whilst 3rd hive abilities can't be as OP as they once were, it still needs to stand out as the better option than to just use leap and bite (and it currently isn't the better option).

On topic of OP - wouldn't know if it's a bug. Hopefully it is though - I like to think that once you start xenocide the wheels are already in motion and you shouldn't be able to stop it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2052786:date=Dec 29 2012, 08:05 AM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Dec 29 2012, 08:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It <b>is</b> bad.

The only time I've ever seen it effective is on a 100 player server. There's just so many better things you could be doing than explode, nearly kill (but not kill) the 2-5 marines in the blast radius, just to have them get all their health and armour back in the armory while you wait ages to respawn and not get any res while that's happening. It's a 3rd hive ability.. and whilst 3rd hive abilities can't be as OP as they once were, it still needs to stand out as the better option than to just use leap and bite (and it currently isn't the better option).

On topic of OP - wouldn't know if it's a bug. Hopefully it is though - I like to think that once you start xenocide the wheels are already in motion and you shouldn't be able to stop it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You either need to have them hurt already to kill them or have someone waiting to play clean up and 1 shot all of them. Also you need to think that in NS2 then Alien commander can have Skulks spawning right outside of Marine tech points. Also no, Xenocide shouldn't just stand out as the better option. That would just be retarded. You shouldn't Xenocide 2 Marines and expect to one shot both of them. I'll start a Xenocide all the time as Skulk and cancel when I realize it's just one or two guys and I can bite them.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2052797:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:27 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 29 2012, 06:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You either need to have them hurt already to kill them or have someone waiting to play clean up and 1 shot all of them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Also bile bomb + xenocide is effective.
    Xeno usually sucks, 'cause of the super absorbable light damage, but since gorges can take armor away..
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited December 2012
    Xenocide just doesnt fit anymore. In Ns1, the xeno, leap, bite, explode tactic was one way to be useful as a skulk in late game and deal damage to turtling marines since it did nice splash dmg to all the buildings and marines.
    Neither of that is needed anymore in Ns2, since killing the powernode is all that matters and you even get punished for blowing yourself up (12 seconds respawn + no res). Xeno is the skill that suffered the worst from a couple of strange design decisions many ns1 vets dont really understand (no RFK instead res for being alive coupled with the PRES system, long alien respawn/short marine respawn and the lack of (edit: useful) base defenses as marine because marines have sprint).
    <!--quoteo(post=2052799:date=Dec 29 2012, 08:31 AM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Dec 29 2012, 08:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also bile bomb + xenocide is effective.
    Xeno usually sucks, 'cause of the super absorbable light damage, but since gorges can take armor away..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I never really though about that combo.

It is hit or miss though. You can either kill no Marines for 6+ Marines at once. I think the most I've seen die to a Xenocide was 7.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2052799:date=Dec 29 2012, 05:31 AM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Dec 29 2012, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also bile bomb + xenocide is effective.
    Xeno usually sucks, 'cause of the super absorbable light damage, but since gorges can take armor away..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Xenocide is normal damage. I repeat, Xenocide is normal damage.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->kXenocideDamage = 200
    kXenocideDamageType = kDamageType.Normal
    kXenocideRange = 14
    kXenocideEnergyCost = 30<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

300 damage would make it kill marines point blank at all stages of the game, but do 150 to exos. Better than my original idea of "make it heavy damage".
  • awwwsnapawwwsnap Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160066Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052767:date=Dec 29 2012, 03:40 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 29 2012, 03:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xeno should be considered as non-functional currently in NS2. It's "in" the game, but it's not worth using right now. It needs tweaking to be a thing that you actually do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh, no. This is a team game, where communication is essential. You get 2-3 skulks to Xeno rush into a ton of marines, and they're all dead. No if's, and's, or but's. Xeno isn't that great at 5v5, but in 12v12 servers it can be pretty broken. This is just because your higher lifeforms can then go in and destroy whatever they want, while in a 5v5 you just wasted 2-3 players(unless Oni are the backup lol).
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    In my experience, xeno can have a huge impact. It's not a 1 shot kill most of the time though, and I don't think they intended it as such. If 1 skulk xenos in the middle of 4 marines you can probably have 1 other skulk clean up. Now you have a 2v4 won by skulks, I'd say that's pretty powerful considering skulks are free and whatever the marines carry in late game is generally >30 res. I also find it pretty hard to defend against a xeno. If they have silence.. god help you. I believe it's pretty useful by the time it comes around and gives you something to do while you're waiting for onos mashing the last marine turtle.

tl;dr I think it's in a good place right now. Kind of niche though.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2052824:date=Dec 29 2012, 07:27 AM:name=Timarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Timarius @ Dec 29 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xenocide is normal damage. I repeat, Xenocide is normal damage.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->kXenocideDamage = 200
    kXenocideDamageType = kDamageType.Normal
    kXenocideRange = 14
    kXenocideEnergyCost = 30<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

300 damage would make it kill marines point blank at all stages of the game, but do 150 to exos. Better than my original idea of "make it heavy damage".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=2052812:date=Dec 29 2012, 07:01 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 29 2012, 07:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I never really though about that combo.

It is hit or miss though. You can either kill no Marines for 6+ Marines at once. I think the most I've seen die to a Xenocide was 7.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thought it did light damage when I posted that, so you can disregard what I said from that post.
    However bile bomb sill makes xeno more effective since it gets rid of armor.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2012
    Xenocide needs something like a bile splash damage bonus to make it a worthwhile 3rd hive ability, so you can at least use it for repeatedly bombing the marine turtle with some effect. As it is, I only use it occasionally, but just for ######s and giggles. I can do more damage with the bite.
    Well, for an ability as punishing to the skulk as xenocide (waiting for respawn, lost res) I think a bit higher of a chance of a kill would be ideal, however that can be done without doing anything to xenocide itself. Just allow to bite while xenocide is in progress like you could in NS1.

Get a few bites off of one marine or several, and you have a skill kill or two rather than a faceroll charge in and explode.
    <!--quoteo(post=2052842:date=Dec 29 2012, 07:24 AM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Dec 29 2012, 07:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thought it did light damage when I posted that, so you can disregard what I said from that post.
    However bile bomb sill makes xeno more effective since it gets rid of armor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not your fault, a lot of people seem to think that. I can only assume they're comparing it to mines or using outdated information.
  • TheFractalPrinceTheFractalPrince Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176584Members
    I think xeno could use a buff of some kind or be available earlier. I've used it a few times for fun, but I've never ever seen it have an impact towards winning the game, and when playing as commander I've never seen it as something that helps win the game. Right now its something you get for fun at the end of the game when you have tons of res to spend. Its never worth buying until you have all the other upgrades possible (except for maybe vortex, the other useless upgrade). It certainly doesn't make sense as a 3rd hive upgrade. It might make more sense if it were available earlier in the game, when marines have less armor.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    I wish the audio signal was better. I can barely hear it with all the gun fire.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    edited December 2012
    Xenocide would be way better if it had the following two effects (two functional, one psychological for pubs):

1.) Significantly reduced respawn time after use. Using Xeno should guarantee a 4 second respawn time that's independent of the usual spawn timer. Meaning that the most you lose for executing a xenocide is the travel time, as opposed to potentially getting caught in a 15+ second spawn timer.

2.) Dying from a self-induced xenocide shouldn't count as a death on the score screen. Most people don't really like annihilating their k/d ratio, even if it has zero impact on winning or losing the game.

Xenocide would actually be useful for breaking turtles if you combined a shift with the first change. You could put on a constant stream of xenocide pressure that would absolutely cripple a marine team that couldn't push out and kill the shift. Meaning you'd have the ability to actually end the game without mass onos/bile bomb for a change.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    It sure seems to be intentional. Switching your active weapon "holsters" Xeno, which stops it.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function XenocideLeap:OnHolster(player)

if self.xenocideGui ~= nil then

GetGUIManager():DestroyGUIScript(self.xenocideGui)
            self.xenocideGui = nil

end

self.xenociding = false

end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052777:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:17 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 29 2012, 06:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol People still think Xenocide is bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is. Someone's willing to theory craft or make some obscure scenario for why any given ability is useful. All you have to do is look at the average kills per xenoed skulk. They are well below 1. It's bad. If for every xeno 0.9 kills were made on average I'd still argue that it's weaker than it should be, but I wouldn't have said "it's bad". It's no where near that high. I'd be VERY surprised to find a single player who has pulled their ratio above 1. Feel free to post the some demos that prove me wrong though.

It's absurdly difficult to use Xeno in a way that it's not a waste of your time. If you Xeno an armor 3 marine, it still takes 2 full damage skulk bites to kill him. 1 skulk bite and a xeno can't even kill a marine. It's relegated to extremely obscure and unlikely scenarios. A group of marines is bile bombed or spored and they are somehow too far away from an armory to heal up before it's too late. It's a one in a billion event.

Xeno is bad.
    edited December 2012
    Hmm...I think they ought to consider allowing xeno/bite combo, I think that would solve the gripes associated with it in this thread.

Yesterday I was playing a game where I went lerk and spored the marine base while the skulks all ran in and xeno, a strat I described earlier in this thread, it was pretty fun and it worked well, none of the skulks died without killing something, all of them killing at least two marines, some up to four.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053608:date=Dec 31 2012, 12:46 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 31 2012, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053608"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is. Someone's willing to theory craft or make some obscure scenario for why any given ability is useful. All you have to do is look at the average kills per xenoed skulk. They are well below 1. It's bad. If for every xeno 0.9 kills were made on average I'd still argue that it's weaker than it should be, but I wouldn't have said "it's bad". It's no where near that high. I'd be VERY surprised to find a single player who has pulled their ratio above 1. Feel free to post the some demos that prove me wrong though.

It's absurdly difficult to use Xeno in a way that it's not a waste of your time. If you Xeno an armor 3 marine, it still takes 2 full damage skulk bites to kill him. 1 skulk bite and a xeno can't even kill a marine. It's relegated to extremely obscure and unlikely scenarios. A group of marines is bile bombed or spored and they are somehow too far away from an armory to heal up before it's too late. It's a one in a billion event.

Xeno is bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMG5LK-zLDQ&list=UUXsZ51-dhYebMQclLL0U50Q&index=1" target="_blank">It's a bad ability in NS2, but it is fun.</a>
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052737:date=Dec 29 2012, 09:28 AM:name=AlphaWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlphaWolf @ Dec 29 2012, 09:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This doesn't work now though, when you bite it cancels xenocide.

Is this working as intended, or is it a bug?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I have said from the very start, fix this and Xenocide will be perfect.
    The problem isnt with xenocides effectiveness (the damage is pretty good) the problem is that it forces the player to wait in order to use it whilst doing nothing productive (dodging bullets isnt productive).
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Onos don't have a 3rd ability.

What about giving them xenocide?

Boom.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2054176:date=Jan 1 2013, 08:25 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Jan 1 2013, 08:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos don't have a 3rd ability.

Boom.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have never heard a worse idea. Unless, of course, it cost 200 Tres to research, 75 pres to go Onos, then 100 Pres to activate, and acted as a tactical nuclear blast that destroyed everything in a single room.

EDIT: With little chunks of Onos bones scattered around the room.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited January 2013
    Now now, xeno isn't bad, thanks for the theorycrafting invite: Using 2 skulks, xeno is great. One of the few times you want to stagger and not zerg!

PS: If you think you are going to xeno, take adren, leap in, bite a couple of times and then xeno. I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix to get it back to being able to be cancelled.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053625:date=Dec 31 2012, 02:26 AM:name=AlphaWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlphaWolf @ Dec 31 2012, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053625"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm...I think they ought to consider allowing xeno/bite combo, I think that would solve the gripes associated with it in this thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Last I tried, if you hold down the mouse button after activating xeno, you will then bite. If you switch your attack from xeno to something else it cancels. Perhaps it has been changed in the latest patch. I haven't tried it for a while. And I'm not sure if you can still leap while xeno is active.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2054299:date=Jan 1 2013, 10:58 PM:name=Timarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Timarius @ Jan 1 2013, 10:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054299"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have never heard a worse idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know! It's brilliant!
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054176:date=Jan 1 2013, 10:25 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Jan 1 2013, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos don't have a 3rd ability.

Boom.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What about gorge?