Wow I Bought This Game, and Found This Game Is..

nazjacksonnazjackson Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176820Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">incrediblely retarded balance of two sides attribute</div>Much, Much More Worse Than the Ol HL1 Version NS1

First, Im sorry about my rude words following after this one.
and also sorry about Im not fluent in English cuz its not my mother tongue and ordinary used language.

Ive played the original NS1 since, i dunno almost 10 years ago.

before I bought this sequel, I had thought UW team must had solved there the widely-known, slight-unbalanced species attributes problem.

Well, f**k that.
It became worse.
Now behold the pathetic jobs they have done!

Yeah graphic? visual is fine. i didn't even consider about visual when I choose to buy this game.

Every single game released after 2011 has fancy good looking graphic anyway.

the Problem is this.
Everyone wanna be marine-lovers.
Ergo, there is always lower population problem in Alien side.
I have played only Kharaa which i always choose random.
I saw even noob players forced to join Kharaa by server disconnected immidiately, a lot.

Everyone want to play human form side, i know its normal.
So the developer should make non-human or disgusting appearance formed side have several superiorities which makes players consider to choose it.

Which means you guys should force the players to pick disgusting-beastlike side rather than fancy-shiny human-thing side.

Man this is a screwed up, a SCREWED UP.
Everyone is not ol time NS beterang.
So they need to learn how to fight.
But in this unbalaced situation? with tons of marine-goers and a few alien guys?
Its will become worse and worse.

Ive played 5 RTS+FPS PVP genre games so far.

Savage series, Nuclear Dawn, Natural Selection series.

I WILL NOT hasitate to choose this game is the worst RTS+FPS genre game ever.
you've developed this during 10 YEARS.
Shame on you UW.

Its like Duke-nukem forever on PVP version.

I even feel myself ashamed that I condered to choose this game at GOTY award nomination.

Comments

• SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    NS2 isn't an upgrade for NS1, it's a new game. It's very young as a new game. The new subsystems and weapons added have totally changed the way the game works, and introduced a lot of new problems that there hasn't been enough playtesting and time spent to know how to best fix them yet.

Many of these things will be tweaked signifignatly, but the game is still fun any interesting. NS1 took 5 years of development to become really solid. NS2 has started on a higher platform than it's predecessor, but it will need more work to reach the heights of game play that NS1 was at in it's peak.

You can't expect so many things to change, and so much work to be redone with no problems being added to the game.
  • sanobrewsanobrew Join Date: 2007-05-04 Member: 60801Members
    So the main issue you have with the game is that you see newer players mostly stacking marines which causes a lower population on the alien team? Most new players will play marines because it is what they are most familiar with (a Call of Duty player who plays NS2 for the first time will most likely choose marines because it is what he is use to). Play on some more competitive servers that are non-rookie and you'll see the game play a lot differently.

Just cool down and play the game some more, in a couple of months when everyone has learned the game things will be balanced.
  • nazjacksonnazjackson Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176820Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053584:date=Dec 30 2012, 11:15 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 30 2012, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 isn't an upgrade for NS1, it's a new game. It's very young as a new game. The new subsystems and weapons added have totally changed the way the game works, and introduced a lot of new problems that there hasn't been enough playtesting and time spent to know how to best fix them yet.

Many of these things will be tweaked signifignatly, but the game is still fun any interesting. NS1 took 5 years of development to become really solid. NS2 has started on a higher platform than it's predecessor, but it will need more work to reach the heights of game play that NS1 was at in it's peak.

You can't expect so many things to change, and so much work to be redone with no problems being added to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah? then why this game still have IDENTICALY SAME resouce systems, names, weapons, ideas of tactics like ol natural selction 1?
    I was an admirer of NS1, but not this game. thats all.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2053585:date=Dec 30 2012, 11:18 PM:name=sanobrew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanobrew @ Dec 30 2012, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So the main issue you have with the game is that you see newer players mostly stacking marines which causes a lower population on the alien team? Most new players will play marines because it is what they are most familiar with (a Call of Duty player who plays NS2 for the first time will most likely choose marines because it is what he is use to). Play on some more competitive servers that are non-rookie and you'll see the game play a lot differently.

Just cool down and play the game some more, in a couple of months when everyone has learned the game things will be balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol I'd better wait OTHER RTS+FPS genre games from OTHER developers.
    I should play this dump anyway cuz i bought this game anyway though.
    I don't think there would be some improvement from THIS.
    Not in a million years.

So i guess i should give up and shut up and play this s**t
    <!--quoteo(post=2053590:date=Dec 31 2012, 02:29 AM:name=nazjackson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nazjackson @ Dec 31 2012, 02:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah? then why this game still have IDENTICALY SAME resouce systems, names, weapons, ideas of tactics like ol natural selction 1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In all cases, it doesn't. It has a new resource system, new names for many things, new weapons, new ideas and new tactics. They are similar to the old ones, but DEFINITELY not "Identically same"
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2053594:date=Dec 30 2012, 11:34 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 30 2012, 11:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In all cases, it doesn't. It has a new resource system, new names for many things, new weapons, new ideas and new tactics. They are similar to the old ones, but DEFINITELY not "Identically same"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah i also thought "identically" is a bit of strong word for it.

but it still shows us this game is inherited from the original.

Then it must be better than ol one.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    in b4 the b____h_p discussion starts
    <!--quoteo(post=2053597:date=Dec 30 2012, 11:38 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Dec 30 2012, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053597"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in b4 the b____h_p discussion starts<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but i wanted to say something rather than keep my mouth shut, growing my anger
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    Man, when you speak I don't want to listen. Don't use derogatory terms in your posts and please, please, don't try to avoid the word filter. There's a reason you can't say some words in public as they're not socially acceptable.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053603:date=Dec 30 2012, 11:41 PM:name=DeltaSnipe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeltaSnipe @ Dec 30 2012, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Man, when you speak I don't want to listen. Don't use derogatory terms in your posts and please, please, don't try to avoid the word filter. There's a reason you can't say some words in public as they're not socially acceptable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

point taken. I edited my post.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    He spoke in great length, but had nothing to say.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I can't tell what your main gripe is. If I go by what you wrote, its that new players and even some more experienced players much prefer playing marines simply because marines look "shiny" and cool. Indeed this may be an issue, but it certainly isn't a problem with the game. The marines are horribly underpowered, and even most of the new players <b>know this</b>, yet they still choose to join the marine team. This is simply human nature at play, with many people choosing to stick with what they are familiar with. Certain people will always prefer to join aliens, while some, the majority, will choose marines every time. Nothing UWE does can change that. I'm quite positive that even in AVP the aliens were always the least favourite choice of players. Its just the way it is.

But really, which team new players prefer to join has absolutely nothing to do with the games core mechanics or how it plays, so I don't have a clue waht you are going on about. As for to other RTS FPS games you have played, none of those are asymmetric, so they don't face the problems NS does, and they certainly aren't as innovative because of it.
    edited December 2012
    NS2 is a weaker game than NS1. However, it's still better than Call of Duty or Nuclear Dawn or Monday Night Combat. It's the best modern RTS/FPS hybrid we have.

There are many reasons why it makes sense that NS2 is a weaker game than NS1. From what UWE has been teasing recently it's pretty clear they weren't able to get NS2 feature complete before 1.0. There's literally a dozen new things they are still planning to add to the game. And by "new things" I mean big new things. New weapons, new structures, new pieces of content.

NS1 was much much weaker on it's release than NS2 was. The game we remember was tweaked and polished over 6 years of public molding. NS2 hasn't even had 2 full months of that yet, and the UWE team is bigger, has better data tracking, and a more active player base to draw from right now. Good things are on the horizon, but it's fair that they didn't all come in the first public build.

It's unfair to expect NS2 to be a more polished game than NS1 in ever way. There are clear steps forward, but also clear steps backwards. A game can't just have as many changes as took place between NS1 and NS2 and not have any major problems show up.

I'm not saying you're wrong that NS2 isn't as good as NS1, or that it's bad to be disappointed, but you're disproportionately angry. It really isn't fair what you're expecting here.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Might just be me but everyone stacking marines because 'omg guys they have GUNS' or similar logic is about the most nostalgic thing you can get from NS1.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    did you upgrade your drivers?
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2053580:date=Dec 31 2012, 02:09 AM:name=nazjackson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nazjackson @ Dec 31 2012, 02:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my parents just bought me this game for christmas and i really wanted an ipad<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • AlphaWolfAlphaWolf Join Date: 2003-01-11 Member: 12175Members
    Hmm...last few games I have a hard time joining aliens because they're always full.

Aliens are my preferred team, I've always been a fan of melee combat. Even when I play RPGs, I prefer melee classes.
  • evohunzevohunz Join Date: 2012-12-07 Member: 174448Members
    What's the point in this thread?

Are you suggesting that the alien side should get a buff?

I really don't get it.

IMHO,

The lower price invites new people into the game.
    New people wants to play as marines or random, very few choose the aliens as favorite from the beginning. I remember when I first played Counter-Strike. As a kid, I didn't want to go Terrorist, I was willing to save the day as a Counter-Terrorist.
    The players that choose random in NS2, like you, get upset because you are always joining the alien team.

That's a fact that I've seen in my games.
    But, what?

Blaming everyone because you can't play as a marine from random won't get you anywhere.
    The game is still changing things for balance. Your suggestion to buff aliens just to new players be willing to join them is unsound.
    New players won't know these buffs and will still be joining the marine side.
    Aliens vs marines, this won't change, it's part of the game. It's the big point of the gameplay: asymetry.

There is nothing the devs can do about players personal preference.

Ergo,
    You loved the game so much that you ended up going into its forum to complain about "random = alien" and you really, really, really want to play as marine but don't want to look like a newbish player spamming the marine side door.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    nazjackson... next time have a valid complaint.....

You don't like this game because people want to play a human instead of an alien?

Yeah buddy, that is not the games fault, but is human nature's fault.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    The most ironic part of this is that the aliens have been the more powerful team for such a long time now with a winrate of 60%, and really i find it harder to get a marine team together in pub's than the other way around.

Regardless, you haven't stated a single valid criticism apart from that you perceive that more players tend to choose marines than aliens, which is highly debatable as is.

Generally i encourage newcomers to play the game more and enjoy what it has to offer, but if you lash out like this even with the most bogus reasoning, i'm not sure your the kind of individual that this community would miss if you happen to leave.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Closing this one.
    Give NS2 and the skills of new players some time to mature before you make up your mind.
This discussion has been closed.