Why do noobies feel the need to command?

Comments

• BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2053015:date=Dec 29 2012, 12:51 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Dec 29 2012, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's okay if it would happen on rookie friendly servers, but I stopped visiting those month ago. Excuse me, but I won't be friendly to someone ruining my game experience. When I join regular server, I expect at least an average commander, who either knows basic build or at least listens to players. But when we have a commander who does not know how to place an extractor, why should I tolerate this? You can't just hop into comm chair, the game HAS tutorials and exploration mode, consider completing these first if you want to 'experience RTS part of the game'. If you are this stubborn, I won't be friendly on non rookie friendly server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well then kindly ask them to use rookie friendly servers....
    Or just deal...
    Or teach them.....
    Or ask someone other then them to comm, and try to teach them the ropes that game.....
    Or comm your self....

Don't be an ass, be a guide!
    -Cuzz there is nothing else you can do :)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Honestly, I want more people commanding even if they suck particularly talking about lower pop servers. It allows me to play the FPS game and not be forced to comm every game because everyone just rushes off leaving us without a comm.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053015:date=Dec 29 2012, 03:51 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Dec 29 2012, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's okay if it would happen on rookie friendly servers, but I stopped visiting those month ago. Excuse me, but I won't be friendly to someone ruining my game experience. When I join regular server, I expect at least an average commander, who either knows basic build or at least listens to players. But when we have a commander who does not know how to place an extractor, why should I tolerate this? You can't just hop into comm chair, the game HAS tutorials and exploration mode, consider completing these first if you want to 'experience RTS part of the game'. If you are this stubborn, I won't be friendly on non rookie friendly server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey guess what? There's a nifty eject option you can use alongside another person or two to kick the commander off the chair. If 1-2 people share your sentiment then it should be pretty easy to eject the commander. Now the question is will you man up and take the commander role or will you just whine and complain about how there are so many bad commanders?

You people act like there's no way of replacing an incompetent commander. I've gotten people to vote a bad comm before and some have even willingly stepped down the chair knowing full well they are a detriment to the team. How did I perform such magic on public servers? Simple...I'm not an ass...most of the time anyway.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or comm your self....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now the question is will you man up and take the commander role or will you just whine and complain about how there are so many bad commanders?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You see, that's the problem, I would gladly take over, and in fact I only ask bad comms to leave if I'm ready to take over, but they won't leave, and ejecting does not work either most of the times, because other rookies don't know how to do that or don't know why spending all res on whip and no placing a single cyst is bad. I go all like 'guys eject him, he does not do anything, I will comm', but nobody does anything. Like from story above, when I left for 20 secs to defend PG. Nobody would eject that rookie for like five minutes. I commanded these people for half an hour, I supplied them with medpacks and ammo and scans and shields, I gave em free jetpacks and exo. And they won't eject that rookie still.
    Gosh, I hope all these winter sale rookies will learn quickly so we can get back to awesome matches, like last weeks before the sale (beggining of november was horrible as well).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or teach them.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've been telling, typing and yelling 'Drop phase here', 'Drop extractor here', 'Rebuild cyst chain here' to no success so many times last week, I can't stand it anymore. It's like I'm standing in one place literally for few minutes, telling comm to do drop damn Phase and spamming H and pinging map. After quite some time he dropped Base (you get it? Base instead of Phase) and some sentries. I built that and continued insisting on phase (it's the other damn side of the map). Then fade cam along. This is total bullshhhh.

Actually, I'm quite friendly to noobs that listen, to those who want to learn something. If you ask him to build RT at repair, and he asks how do I find that place, I tell him to press space after he hears that soldier is requesting order, and he builds there - it's all fine. You can easily play with a guy who listens. You remind them of upgrades - they do upgrades. You ask for front armory - they build armory. Good comms should do it by themselves, but as long as rookie responds to requests, he is okay.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052861:date=Dec 29 2012, 10:11 AM:name=Hunter.S.T.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunter.S.T. @ Dec 29 2012, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->probably cause its fun! anyone who bought the game has as much right to get in the chair as anyone else.

I'm sorry that the comms dont appear to want your help, this happens sometimes, all you can do is brace yourself for a harsh and quick defeat, and try to switch teams at the earliest opportunity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or vote kick their sorry ass.
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    xen32, you may be nice enough to tell people to recyst or build pg, apparently you cannot take five seconds required to tell the newbies to press x to eject a comm!
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited December 2012
    I'm happy to play a game with a newbie commander who's making bad decisions due to inexperience. Yes, you're probably going to lose if the other team is decent and has a competent commander, but people need to learn. Usually an inexperienced commander will only command if nobody else does, so there's that too.

Whilst people like winning, and want the chance to do so without the opportunity being hindered by poor commanding, you shouldn't be so attached to it that you deny other people part of the gameplay experience, especially if they admit they're inexperienced and are willing to learn. Sometimes people aren't willing to take advice, which sucks, but they'll eventually at least learn from their mistakes.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I'm willing to give every rookie commander a chance - even on a non-rookie server - IF they communicate in any way.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    edited December 2012
    I find it hard to believe that one rookie jumping into the comm chair ruins your whole game experience in a public match. If winning is that much to you why don't you play clan matches only? I do know it's frustrating when you've been comming for 30 minutes and someone jumps in the chair. Or the worst when you get out of the 1st hive to go heal the 2nd and place some hydra and someone jumps in and makes it a shade hive when you were going shift/crag. Or spend all the res you were saving for a quick leap/cara/celerity. Haha!

I've been in situations before where people have jumped into the comm chair while I've been out building something, or healing something. Every single time I've been able to get back into the chair with minimum fuss after explaining my situation and even sometimes telling the rookies how to actually eject themselves from the seat. Once or twice I've even asked them to research something for me, or place a structure. Who cares if it takes an extra 30 seconds? It's a PUB game.

Instead of venting your frustration in game why not try and help them. Some of the most enjoyable games I've been in came from new commanders or me commanding a group of players who obviously don't even know what they are doing. Even when you lose a game, it makes you feel good when you get back into the ready room and a few of them are saying thanks for the advice and good commanding over voice chat. The best game I remember having in NS2 was when I joined a rookie server after the sale 1st started and it was 10 mins in, aliens had no commander, had 100+ res, 2 res nodes, 1 hive and no upgrades. No-one knew what they were doing and I spent the whole game teaching them about using the map, how to evolve, how to upgrade, where to pressure etc. By the end of the game I couldn't even break the team apart they were just one huge congo line of onos, fades, lerks and skulks. It was awesome fun to be a part of even though we got smashed in the end.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    It's a video game. If people want to command, let them command. If you don't like them, switch servers. This isn't rocket science. Sheesh.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2052861:date=Dec 30 2012, 02:11 AM:name=Hunter.S.T.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunter.S.T. @ Dec 30 2012, 02:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->probably cause its fun! anyone who bought the game has as much right to get in the chair as anyone else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2053260:date=Dec 30 2012, 11:35 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Dec 30 2012, 11:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a video game. If people want to command, let them command. If you don't like them, switch servers. This isn't rocket science. Sheesh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no f***ing way, just because you paid $12 for a movie ticket doesn't give you the privilege to speak loudly during the movie and ruin it for everyone else. There's an option to eject people for a reason! I use to be the Mr. nice guy too, but so many scrubs are commanding these days and they refuse to learn/communicate. One green even suggested that there's no need to use a mic because everyone should know what they are doing. You know what I replied? nothing! I got the loser ejected.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    It's an odd thing in my opinion. SO many greens literally yelling and stating "this commander sucks eject" just so they can screw around. And the first thing they build is a robotics factory with 2 armories at the start. When I first started playing I did not even command until I played around 70 hours. You need to play the game a lot to see what works and what good commanders do. Recently no new commander has even touched phase gates and expects everyone to hold everything with nothing. Throwing down command chairs half way across the map without phases.
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's just a phase, it will pass.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    So someone wants to have FUN with a game they paid for? Heresy! Heresy I tell you! How dare people think that they can have fun playing a game. They should all just keep their mouths shut and let the 'pros' tell them what to do. Amirite?!?1

What do you mean you want to command? What do you mean you want to play in one of those 'mechs' you see in all the ads? What do you mean you don't want to spend half the game standing still pressing the use button to build or repair stuff? These new players need to learn this game isn't about fun. Where do people get these crazy ideas anyway?
    edited December 2012
    If someone wants to have individual fun, he should go play call of duty where he can run around solo and kill sh!t to unlock new guns. Being part of a team in NS is about sacrifice, everyone has a role role to play. Yes there are times where you have to defend; Yes there are time where you have to build stuff; Yes there are time where you have to gorge to spray the hive and heal other players; Yes there are times where you have to charge in and sacrifice yourself to buy the team some time; Yes there are times when you have to spend your res on mines while others save up for that awesome exo. But the greater reward comes in the end when your team achieves the ultimate victory. If someone thinks the "individual fun > team" mentality should be endorsed/promoted in the NS community then perhaps this person is playing/playtesting the wrong game.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2053288:date=Dec 30 2012, 05:35 PM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Dec 30 2012, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One green even suggested that there's no need to use a mic because everyone should know what they are doing. You know what I replied? nothing! I got the loser ejected.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not entirely wrong. Sure, using a mic is a plus, but all the info comm has players have too.

You get rt's. You get 2nd tech point. You put a phasegate in that second tech point. 90% of games follow this pattern so yes, in a way, everyone should know what they are doing.

Comm isn't an excuse to play dumb. Comm isn't an excuse to not lead the team if you believe you should and could, as a player on the field.
  • DeathbaneDeathbane Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176770Members
    edited December 2012
    Entirely new btw, played some NS1 but not alot, only a few rounds back in 2007 or something.

New commanders on the rookie servers im fine with, as long as theyve played at least a few hours as a standard unit. Thats what i did, and when i was kind of sure how it worked, i played my first few rounds as alien comm and got used to it, and then moved onto marine comms which im still trying to figure out.

As long as youve played for several hours and have played a single rts before, you ll at least perform reasonably, and if your communicating, your team will generally be receptive to you as a commander.

However, ive seen many new guys instantly jump into the command chair and totally ###### a team over. They dont bother even using text chat, and several didnt even know how to put down resource towers and power nodes - nevermind start one or two upgrades. Its these commanders that annoy the hell out of me, because it ruins the fun of the game instantly - being doomed to lose a round from the start is not fun, i just disconnect. Having 0 chance to win, what is the point of playing? Its hard to have fun when you KNOW you are going to have 9+ onos / Exos in your base because 15 minutes in your comm still hasnt built more than one RT.

However, even then, on rookie servers i can let it slide. However, I then go to none rookie servers to play skulk/marine and learn from more experienced players, only to see the same clueless commanders in the chair as they wont stay on the rookie servers. Why they dont at least give me the mercy of them staying there till they are at least somewhat competent with the interface and gameflow i have no idea.

Thats when i quit in keyboard smashing rage, which is a shame because i really enjoy the game as a whole but with a totally clueless / troll commander its not worth playing.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2053345:date=Dec 31 2012, 04:26 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Dec 31 2012, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not entirely wrong. Sure, using a mic is a plus, but all the info comm has players have too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you have guys 2 marines attacking hive A on their own, and then u have 3 marines attacking hive B on their own, all the while your 2nd CC is being bile bombed by a single gorge. nobody knows wtf is going on because the comm is a dud. How often do you see this scenario on pub servers? But hey, that's the way it's suppose to be because everyone should know what to do right? and you wonder why marines lose so much.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2053350:date=Dec 30 2012, 07:42 PM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Dec 30 2012, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you have guys 2 marines attacking hive A on their own, and then u have 3 marines attacking hive B on their own, all the while your 2nd CC is being bile bombed by a single gorge. nobody knows wtf is going on because the comm is a dud. How often do you see this scenario on pub servers? But hey, that's the way it's suppose to be because everyone should know what to do right? and you wonder why marines lose so much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    .......what.

"nobody knows wtf is going on because the comm is a dud." -based on what? Comm being dumb makes players dumb? Ehh?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've seen far too many games ruined by no one being willing to jump in as comm to complain when somebody does. The more people learn to become comfortable with it the better as far as I'm concerned.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Why not just eject him? If I see a rook go into the chair I ask if they need help, if they don't talk, or deliberately ignore what the team wants, eject them.
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    I like comming new players. I look at it as an educational experience. I tell them step by step what I am doing and why. The more communicative you are, the more likely they are to listen. You have to micromanage a bit, but if you explain to them why you are telling them to do something, they are more likely to do it. I also find myself having to constantly check or promote ramboing. Some groups hate leaving base and some hae sitting still. That's probably the toughest part of marine commanding, getting the right balance between offense and defense. I always tell them that we need at least one person at each tech point and then I tell the rest where to pressure. Usually that is simple enough for them to grasp. You do have to praise the ones who do what you ask so they know you haven't forgotten them. "Way to hold that base down so-and-so." Praise works wonders.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2053305:date=Dec 30 2012, 07:47 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 30 2012, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So someone wants to have FUN with a game they paid for? Heresy! Heresy I tell you! How dare people think that they can have fun playing a game. They should all just keep their mouths shut and let the 'pros' tell them what to do. Amirite?!?1

What do you mean you want to command? What do you mean you want to play in one of those 'mechs' you see in all the ads? What do you mean you don't want to spend half the game standing still pressing the use button to build or repair stuff? These new players need to learn this game isn't about fun. Where do people get these crazy ideas anyway?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know, on steam store page it says multiplayer game. Multiplayer. There is common sense. You gotta behave yourself. You can't ruin everyone's fun just because you've payed ten bucks. Commanders have responsibilities.

Driving is fun. You pay for you driving lessons. They won't let you drive right away. For reason.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    edited December 2012
    Maybe it would help, if the "Start Commanding" popup on an empty chair only shows untill the 1st person has jumped in.
    After that (when the 1st comm jumps out for a moment) it shouldn't show anymore, to avoid rookies taking the hint "because hey thats what the popup is telling me" :P
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Every player has a right to play the game equally. It's funny how often in servers someone will jump in the chair, and some self-entitled person will let their disapproval known in one fashion or another.

What's worse is players with less then a few hundred hours of play time who have egos.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    Some people here take the game waaaaaaaaaay too seriously. You're not having fun when the comm is bad? Guess your definition of fun is pretty one-dimensional then. Ever just ran around with only a switch and see how many structures you can take down? Ever dueled skulks with a switch just for fun? Ever ran around with a welder and see how much damage you can do with it? It's arguably more difficult to mess around as alien by yourself, but you can always step up and organize your team while your comm is busy figuring things out. I've had many games playing alien comm where some guy in the team is calling all the shots and I'm just sitting pretty getting my team everything they need. Also had times where I myself organized an attack or two in lieu of our comm.

Seriously not seeing the problem here. Comm new? Help them out and backseat comm for a few minutes to get him situated. Providing very helpful tips (more like telling the person what to do step by step) but the comm doesn't seem to be doing anything? Well kindly tell the comm to start doing what needs to be done, step down, or be ejected. Comm still not doing anything? Well get your team to eject. Your team doesn't know how to eject? Tell them to press 'X' and click eject.

Takes 1 minute tops to eject a bad commander and the game should still be salvageable depending on the skill of each side. People complaining are doing it wrong or do not possess much social skills...
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    the problem isnt when its a noob... the problem is when its ######ing retards who dont listen to anything you tell them.

I have no problems with explaining stuff to a noob but when he deliberately ignores me i get angry and start yelling at him.

<!--quoteo(post=2053359:date=Dec 30 2012, 07:03 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Dec 30 2012, 07:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.......what.

"nobody knows wtf is going on because the comm is a dud." -based on what? Comm being dumb makes players dumb? Ehh?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well thats kinda true, The average player becomes mostly useless (especially on marine side) if the commander does refuse to communicate with his team and tell them what to do
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    People need to learn to command sometime somewhere, I just wish they would do it more often on rookie servers and atleast get some hints at a build order from videos, tired of seeing new people go into a heavy pop pub server and just buy robo bay off the start
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2053394:date=Dec 30 2012, 04:16 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Dec 30 2012, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, on steam store page it says multiplayer game. Multiplayer. There is common sense. You gotta behave yourself. You can't ruin everyone's fun just because you've payed ten bucks. Commanders have responsibilities. Driving is fun. You pay for you driving lessons. They won't let you drive right away. For reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That's great, perhaps we should make it a requirement that anyone who wants to command complete the commander training lesson. Oh wait, we don't HAVE any training in the game.

I'm not saying people should be allowed to grief, but if you have a game with no training, then people should't get annoyed when these newbies hop in the CC for the first time because it's gonna happen again and again. On rookie servers there should be no expectation that the commander know anything about how to play. At least we have the ability to designate servers, which means it would be fair to eject a newbie comm from a non-newbie server.

Otherwise people need to accept that people will have to learn, and without training it's gonna happen in game.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I think there's just a bit of a cognitive dissonance for people. They jump in the chair because they think commanding sounds fun, without realizing that if they really screw it up their whole team suffers badly. It's the kind of thing, for most players they feel bad once they realize the mistake, some make that a reason why they won't try it again... In some cases people don't care that they're screwing others over, I think in many cases that's how a griefer is born.

In any case, it will always be a part of the game. NS2 players just have to be as kind and understanding as possible while new people learn the ropes.