Res Nodes without res?

thippthipp Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176734Members
So, I may be new to the game (had it for about a week) but I've been following the game ever since early beta.

Now I'm not the best commander, but when I go into the Hive or Chair when I see that our current commander bailed, what am I supposed to do when they left us with 0 res and 0 extractors? Is there any way to earn tres to get an extractor up? Because frankly I'm amazed that, if you have 0 extractors, they cost res. It seems like a rare situation but a major oversight by the devs.

Is there a way to fix the problem in that situation, or is it best to just give up on the match?

Comments

• ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    its called res locked.... for aliens there is no way out

for marines you can try to recycle some other building to get the res to build an extractor
  • thippthipp Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176734Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053221:date=Dec 30 2012, 03:36 AM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Dec 30 2012, 03:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its called res locked.... for aliens there is no way out

for marines you can try to recycle some other building to get the res to build an extractor<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know that the enemies can res lock you, but it was the first forty seconds of the game. Either it was someone entirely incompetent spreading cysts everywhere, or they were intentionally griefing. A Marine sniped our one extractor while we had no Commander. It was awful...
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053222:date=Dec 30 2012, 04:39 AM:name=thipp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thipp @ Dec 30 2012, 04:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know that the enemies can res lock you, but it was the first forty seconds of the game. Either it was someone entirely incompetent spreading cysts everywhere, or they were intentionally griefing. A Marine sniped our one extractor while we had no Commander. It was awful...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like intentional griefing. Although I suppose we can't discount an incompetent commander -- someone might place a couple whips and 10 cysts first thing, and then you'd be in a similar situation.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    edited December 2012
    i don't understand why you can't place free resource tower if you have 0 rt's.

i can't see anyway how it could be abused ?

this free rt could be 50% less armor and health and it wouldn't give any resources if recycled.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053229:date=Dec 30 2012, 04:26 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Dec 30 2012, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i don't understand why you can't place free resource tower if you have 0 rt's.

i can't see anyway how it could be abused ?

this free rt could be 50% less armor and health and it wouldn't give any resources if recycled.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's apparently part of the "metagame," killing off an enemy's res nodes when they're short on tres. It's stupid because it makes a guaranteed win, but it just delays it.

There's a difference between knowing tricks to give you an advantage and having tricks that all but guarantee an easy win.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Like the power node in the marine base?

Com'on. You got 40res at start. If you can't get a 2nd RT up before your first one is destroyed, it's your fault. It is part of the meta game. It happens very scarce. So why complaining about it?
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    its a fun part of the game imo

you should take a look at one of the old competative games out there where the marines managed to res lock the aliens mid-way through the game..
    all was lost..... except a skulk rush won the game in the end :p

can anyone link that game?
    No one seems to realize that I meant this happened in the earliest point in the game, and then the commander left. This is just kinda stupid to be perfectly honest. Metagame is having small tricks up your sleeve that can help win the game, not tricks that completely cripple the enemy permanently.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053246:date=Dec 30 2012, 07:30 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Dec 30 2012, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its a fun part of the game imo

you should take a look at one of the old competative games out there where the marines managed to res lock the aliens mid-way through the game..
    all was lost..... except a skulk rush won the game in the end :p

can anyone link that game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you may be talking about one of ARC's games?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Scrajm/videos?flow=grid&view=1http://" target="_blank">Scrajm FPV Comm</a>

Can't remember the exact game, but basically the Alien team drop 2 hives in quick succession, before realising a marine has just sniped their last res tower. They go all in base rushing a few times, the power goes down a few times but they end up losing.

<!--quoteo(post=2053251:date=Dec 30 2012, 07:53 PM:name=thipp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thipp @ Dec 30 2012, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053251"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one seems to realize that I meant this happened in the earliest point in the game, and then the commander left. This is just kinda stupid to be perfectly honest. Metagame is having small tricks up your sleeve that can help win the game, not tricks that completely cripple the enemy permanently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This guy is a troll?
    On one hand he is saying it ruins the metagame that this 'trick' can completely ruin the game, but then he says it happened in a game where the comm was griefing intentionally? It happened at 'the earliest point in the game' which to me means the comm just dropped as many cysts/upgrades/whips as possible and they lost the res node. That isn't a failed mechanic of the game. That's a failed strategy.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited December 2012
    Can happen if alien comm gets an upgrade first and marines rush the hive and kill the extractor. (And some cysts). Alien comm just has to be more careful & team more aware of marine rushs in these cases. Or they just counterrush and take down the Commandstation.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So basically you say, a grieving / bad commander can lose the game? So what?
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    A griefing commander can find many ways to intentionally lose the game. Res locks are just one way. Honestly it's a valid strat to completely kill off all of the alien or marines RT's and hope for a res lock. I target RT's constantly for this reason.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053284:date=Dec 30 2012, 09:29 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Dec 30 2012, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053284"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So basically you say, a grieving / bad commander can lose the game? So what?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's a difference between them losing the game and you hitting a point where there is physically no way in the game to fix it. Anything else, as difficult as it may be, can be fixed in the course of a match. This is the only thing that is 100% permanent and unfixable, and it feels like, to me, that shouldn't be the case.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    edited December 2012
    I think the general consensus is "if you managed to lose all of your res towers you lost the game by default anyway" I'd rather they spend their time on fixing consistency checks for player performance