A way to De-evolve Hive

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
edited December 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
To many times i have played NS2 on public only to have a new commander make some terrible early decisions on the hive evolution then abandon the game, for example going shade hive in a game that will mostly be attacking. So i suggest the option for a commander to De-evolve a hive so it can be evolved into a different hive, however in de-evolving the hive all alien structures produced only by that type of hive will die.

Comments

• bakkotobakkoto Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175575Members
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    This could also end up with trolls booting the commander then de-evolving all the hives
  • bakkotobakkoto Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052191:date=Dec 27 2012, 09:16 PM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Dec 27 2012, 09:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This could also end up with trolls booting the commander then de-evolving all the hives<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about just "leaving the game" best trolls mechanism ever.Sorry but this sounds very strategic and i will love to have such an option.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    How would the evolution chambers and alien evolution be handled though if you suddenly change the Hive type?

For aliens it could perhaps be handled the way losing a Hive affects players right now -> Once you die after losing a Hive, you lose your abilities (leap/bilebomb/spore/blink). But while staying alive you keep your abilities for the time your are still alive...

However when a new Hive type is researched, aliens out in the field should not be able to get upgrades from that Hive until they die. Or maybe they can, but lose the ones from the previous Hive?

Still the matter of the evolution chambers, do they get absorbed back into the respool if your change Hive type?

Those are the three main concerns...But more importantly, how does one relay this information in an understandable way to the players...
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Would it be more viable if de-evoling would cost like 20-40 resources? Or take about two minutes to de-evolve, during which you can't do anything else with that Hive? Or increases the vulnerability of the Hive while doing so? Or reduce it's egg spawn rate? (The latter two options could be prone to abuse against the team, though)
    It should be a discouraged ability that you only use in emergencies when you notice that your current strategy stands no chance against your enemy, for instance if you went Shade first in the hope to get the second Hive up very quickly but the marines denied it to you and now you really need Carapace or Celerity to stand a chance again.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    I like. It would create more gameplay tactics and resolve the current problem of rounds being gg 5 minutes in.

I don't think the troll argument is a good one. Trolls will be trolls, and they will always find a way to ruin the game. It can of course be solved by being able to votekick/voteban.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Well, the troll argument wasn't an argument against. I think the idea is good. I'm just pointing out the troll weakness.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2052164:date=Dec 28 2012, 12:58 AM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Dec 28 2012, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To many times i have played NS2 on public only to have a new commander make some terrible early decisions on the hive evolution then abandon the game, for example going shade hive in a game that will mostly be attacking. So i suggest the option for a commander to De-evolve a hive so it can be evolved into a different hive, however in de-evolving the hive all alien structures produced only by that type of hive will die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->While I'm not completely adverse to this, I have to ask why you want to fix the symptom and not the problem? If terrible comms are a problem, why not figure out a way to prevent the bad decision from being made, instead of working out complex ways to correct the mistake.

One of the things I have always felt was counter intuitive was the way hives were chosen. Aliens are supposed to operate with a 'hive' mentality. The alien 'khamm' isn't supposed to run the team. For something as important as the hive choice (and hive choice alone), why not have the game ask the aliens what hive they prefer? This would fit the 'hive' mentality, and it would assure that the khamm would never be able to make the 'bad decision' in the first place. Again, I'm not suggesting that every decision be run past the alien team, but for the hive - why not? The aliens are operating as a collective, and in a collective no one person should make big decisions.

So when the hive is first dropped, the aliens can be polled. Make it simple as having it in the evolution menu, right in the center. The three possible choices would be there, and you click one. Once all players choose, or once the hive matures (whatever comes first) the hive will be selected automatically. (in case of a tie, the choice the khamm made will win, or if the khamm didn't choose either of those choices, the khamm will choose between the choices that tied)

No worries about de-evolution, and no worry about coordinating a choice amongst the team.
  • AlphaWolfAlphaWolf Join Date: 2003-01-11 Member: 12175Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2053133:date=Dec 29 2012, 08:08 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 29 2012, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I'm not completely adverse to this, I have to ask why you want to fix the symptom and not the problem? If terrible comms are a problem, why not figure out a way to prevent the bad decision from being made, instead of working out complex ways to correct the mistake.

One of the things I have always felt was counter intuitive was the way hives were chosen. Aliens are supposed to operate with a 'hive' mentality. The alien 'khamm' isn't supposed to run the team. For something as important as the hive choice (and hive choice alone), why not have the game ask the aliens what hive they prefer? This would fit the 'hive' mentality, and it would assure that the khamm would never be able to make the 'bad decision' in the first place. Again, I'm not suggesting that every decision be run past the alien team, but for the hive - why not? The aliens are operating as a collective, and in a collective no one person should make big decisions.

So when the hive is first dropped, the aliens can be polled. Make it simple as having it in the evolution menu, right in the center. The three possible choices would be there, and you click one. Once all players choose, or once the hive matures (whatever comes first) the hive will be selected automatically. (in case of a tie, the choice the khamm made will win, or if the khamm didn't choose either of those choices, the khamm will choose between the choices that tied)

No worries about de-evolution, and no worry about coordinating a choice amongst the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The point of having a commander is to be able to make snap decisions and have the group follow with quick execution rather than take a poll every time a decision needs to be made.

Honestly, that one tech tree can screw you over vs another one is probably a bad design in general - they should all be equally viable to start with. If egg supply wasn't a problem, shade would be a safe bet in many cases due to stealth being pretty competitive with celerity. I can't think of any fix for making crag as attractive as shift for starting out.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    if silence made you invisible to observatories then i could see shade being more useful early game