Why do noobies feel the need to command?

skyewingskyewing Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71519Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I just dont get it.</div>You know I dont care if someone new jumps in the command chair, having a mic is a plus, but reading and writing (showing the ablity to comprehend) is a must.

For one, Why would you think you could command your team if you dont even know what your role as a skulk/marine is..

And two, there are tutorials, watch them, play by yourself in a lan and get a feel for it. Dont go jumping into peoples games and jump in the chair because you think your the god of video games.

And three..... being new is ok, but if someone is trying to help you, and you dont type,voicechat, or even look in the direction of your players... ok just get out.

A commander has to be versatile and listen to his team adapting to any situation that should arise.
Please stop toturing me and other people by jumping into the command chair as soon as you see it open. Please do everyone a favor and learn how to play as a skulk/marine first.
What really has been burning me up lately, is I bark out orders on a microphone(always had one never used it, lans will do that to you) and no one listens. Whats the point of me talking again? So at this point I have to jump out of the command chair and run across the map to defend our other base. Its during this time the scrubs love to jump in and try to command instead of following my pings and voice commands.

fffffffffffUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

And I couldnt figure out how to eject the commander until recently since a patch removed the button for it, a friend that just bought the game had to actually show me xP.

Comments

• Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    probably cause its fun! anyone who bought the game has as much right to get in the chair as anyone else.

I'm sorry that the comms dont appear to want your help, this happens sometimes, all you can do is brace yourself for a harsh and quick defeat, and try to switch teams at the earliest opportunity.

I dont mind the noobie comms, we all gotta start somewhere. If they have a mic and are willing to learn, im happy to give them the basics step by step. When the xmas sale rookies appeared, i spent 7 hours on a rookie server training noob after noob on how to comm.

And if you dont believe me, adhd123 came in for an hour and a half of it and streamed me on his twitch channel trying to help the poor newbies out, keystroke by keystroke lol

Basically, i believe that if we want more players and not less, we gotta do our best to be understanding and helpful to these poor rookies.

Plus, its the nice thing to do :D
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What's even worse, are ejected comms in rage, who start to jump into CC each new round and sell everything. And there is no damn wait to kick such a jerk.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2012
    Because, nowhere...

NOWHERE

...does it say, that you SHOULDN'T COMMAND right off the bat.

Because, it's politically INCORRECT to tell a player not to enjoy all the features of a game instantly.

Unfortunately, you most likely CANNOT command right off the bat, so eventually this political correctness leads to a larger amount of misery than simply accepting the fact that you shouldn't command in your first hours would have.

Welcome to politics. Doesn't matter how much you make people suffer so long as it's up to some high brow standards.
  • AlphaWolfAlphaWolf Join Date: 2003-01-11 Member: 12175Members
    Sometimes these people know how to play, rather they are just deliberately trolling you. I had a game where the marine commander dropped 6 armories and then I laughed out loud saying we just got trolled. So we all just f4 and started a new round.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited December 2012
    Political Correctness? what...?

Regardless, if you don't know how to command and aren't willing to accept help, that person should be ejected faster than light. Never should the group suffer for a single persons own fun. However you can always be nice if said person accept help, I'd let him have a go.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    edited December 2012
    I don't mind the new comms as long as THEY LISTEN. I was playing alien the other day and I had to keep spamming BUILD NODE HERE over and over until finally they started to show up.
    If you guys think this is bad, try being in the days of NS 1.04 and below. Some people would go into random servers when the game started, go gorge, drop a sensory chamber and leave. That's all they had to do to ruin the whole game for aliens.

At this time, sensory chambers were completely utterly useless. The upgrades they provided were terrible, and the structure itself would simply have the mentat say "the enemy approaches" when a marine got near it. It did absolutely nothing else. No stealthing other structures, and no enemy tracking, not even an indication as to where the enemy was approaching at.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I kinda agree with the OP, to the point as playing as marine or alien is one thing, but please if youwant to comm watch the vids 1st, abd at least let us know your a new commander.
  • WitchcraftTheEvertrollingWitchcraftTheEvertrolling Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175185Members
    edited December 2012
    Maybe because they want to learn it? Sorry but playing Skulk and Marine dont help you much about understandig how to command. When you play marine youre to busy shooting skulks then watching what your com is doing. With Khamm its even worse, you just see some upgrades suddenly available, thats all. I didnt even understand what Shifts and Shades and all this strange looking buildings were for before i played Kham once. Also you need to develop a overview over all the stuff happening and where you need to watch. Where do you think good coms come from? Drop from the moon?

I just remember when I started playing, i have been called a piece of ######, retard, ordered to uninstall the game etc. etc. Often from people who dont even know a thing about command and demand ridiculous stuff like Exos at min 5. Fortunately i dont give a ######, but not everyone is like this. Attitude like this leads to majority who is to scared to command. That leads to situations where people are forced to com (because noone wants to), doing poor and gettin flamed by everyone for being a retard.

Just chill the ###### up and give a com advice if you think he is doing something wrong, also explain why.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2052884:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:07 PM:name=WitchcraftTheEvertrolling)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WitchcraftTheEvertrolling @ Dec 29 2012, 06:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052884"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe because they want to learn it? Sorry but playing Skulk and Marine dont help you much about understandig how to command. When you play marine youre to busy shooting skulks then watching what your com is doing. With Khamm its even worse, you just see some upgrades suddenly available, thats all. I didnt even understand what Shifts and Shades and all this strange looking buildings were for before i played Kham once. Also you need to develop a overview over all the stuff happening and where you need to watch. Where do you think good coms come from? Drop from the moon?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah that's wrong. Marine side you can EASILY learn to comm because marines build the buildings, they essentially walk hand in hand with the commander. The only thing marine comm needs to learn inside the chair is the interface, which you can learn in 10 min in the explore mode.

Khamm side, you can just go explore mode and read descriptions. Khamm is so easy once you have the basics (drop rt's and get upgrades when you feel like it) that you can't fail very hard.
  • WitchcraftTheEvertrollingWitchcraftTheEvertrolling Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175185Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052888:date=Dec 29 2012, 08:14 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Dec 29 2012, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nah that's wrong. Marine side you can EASILY learn to comm because marines build the buildings, they essentially walk hand in hand with the commander. The only thing marine comm needs to learn inside the chair is the interface, which you can learn in 10 min in the explore mode.

Khamm side, you can just go explore mode and read descriptions. Khamm is so easy once you have the basics (drop rt's and get upgrades when you feel like it) that you can't fail very hard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats all fine, but doesnt matter how many guides and Explore mode trys you do. Good Commanding comes with experience. Where shall i drop RTs and where not? Shall i waste res to keep this marine alive or rather safe for upgrade? In what order do i research stuff? How do i counter strategies? To get a feeling for all this you need to jump into the chair and try it out. Everyone has his first time, some are doing well some not. Flaming the new guy wont help you in any way rather try to prevent him from screwing up ever again with proper advice.

Khamm side is a joke, i needed exactly 1 game to learn how to play it. If you screw up noone will even notice in most cases unless you drop a hive really stupid or research adrenaline as first upgrade.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry but playing Skulk and Marine dont help you much about understandig how to command.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh it does. It really does.
    You play a couple of matches where you win. You play a couple of matches where you lose. You see what comms where doing when you won, you see what comms did when you lost. Even if you were only "shooting skulks", you'd notice that you had PG and armory next to you. You'd notice medpacks falling. You'd notice crags around hives.
    As for me, I was nowhere near comm chair/hive (except for explore mode) before like 15 hours of play. Then, I was a backup commander a few times - when our comm rage quit, and the game was surely lost, I hopped into commanders seat and started learning. After a few more times like that, I felt like I can do this, because now I know what's good and what's not. The very first game I was commanding from the very start was won. And so the next 8 out of 10.
  • TovaTova Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176254Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What servers do you folks play on? I always run into the problem of noone jumping in the command chair. I always say "any commander is better than no commander, we cannot build or research anything until we get a commander," only to be met with the standard newbie "I've only commanded once, I'm a bad commander, you guys wouldn't want me..."

Everyone's gotta learn. If you can't handle giving advice over comms, then politely ask for command. Beyond that there exist plenty of servers and people you can command.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052857:date=Dec 29 2012, 11:02 PM:name=skyewing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skyewing @ Dec 29 2012, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I couldnt figure out how to eject the commander until recently since a patch removed the button for it, a friend that just bought the game had to actually show me xP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hi noob.
    Yeah, I think the OP was referring more to those comms that don't have any clue. I've nothing against new comms that make poor tech choises and whatnot, but if you're building a robotics factory while 5 guys are waiting to build an RT then you haven't listened. :P
    <!--quoteo(post=2052897:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:25 PM:name=Tova)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tova @ Dec 29 2012, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What servers do you folks play on? I always run into the problem of noone jumping in the command chair. I always say "any commander is better than no commander, we cannot build or research anything until we get a commander," only to be met with the standard newbie "I've only commanded once, I'm a bad commander, you guys wouldn't want me..."

Everyone's gotta learn. If you can't handle giving advice over comms, then politely ask for command. Beyond that there exist plenty of servers and people you can command.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

EU servers nobody wants to marine comm usually. Doesn't take more than 10sec in the start to EVENTUALLY force someone into the chair though.

Alien side, it's a race. Half the team wants to comm.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052857:date=Dec 29 2012, 10:02 AM:name=skyewing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skyewing @ Dec 29 2012, 10:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know I dont care if someone new jumps in the command chair, having a mic is a plus, but reading and writing (showing the ablity to comprehend) is a must.

For one, Why would you think you could command your team if you dont even know what your role as a skulk/marine is..

And two, there are tutorials, watch them, play by yourself in a lan and get a feel for it. Dont go jumping into peoples games and jump in the chair because you think your the god of video games.

And three..... being new is ok, but if someone is trying to help you, and you dont type,voicechat, or even look in the direction of your players... ok just get out.

A commander has to be versatile and listen to his team adapting to any situation that should arise.
    Please stop toturing me and other people by jumping into the command chair as soon as you see it open. Please do everyone a favor and learn how to play as a skulk/marine first.
    What really has been burning me up lately, is I bark out orders on a microphone(always had one never used it, lans will do that to you) and no one listens. Whats the point of me talking again? So at this point I have to jump out of the command chair and run across the map to defend our other base. Its during this time the scrubs love to jump in and try to command instead of following my pings and voice commands.

fffffffffffUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

And I couldnt figure out how to eject the commander until recently since a patch removed the button for it, a friend that just bought the game had to actually show me xP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably the same reason people with no right to complain on a public forum do so anyway
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    A good comm means nothing if the players suck. Often times on marine I don't comm because I know the rest of the team can't shoot or won't be aggressive at all. If you're bragging about how your comm skills saved the game, chances are you had really good players that knew what they were doing. Having a comm that can do things quickly and knows what upgrade paths to choose is a definite plus, but in a pub game it comes down to the players knowing how to play.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->any commander is better than no commander, we cannot build or research anything until we get a commander<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What about those who jump into the hive and build three whips around it?
  • TovaTova Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176254Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2052905:date=Dec 29 2012, 11:36 AM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Dec 29 2012, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about those who jump into the hive and build three whips around it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you didn't have a commander what would have happened?
    <!--quoteo(post=2052905:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:36 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Dec 29 2012, 06:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about those who jump into the hive and build three whips around it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Clearly he had anticipated the marine commander and calculated his options, deducing the most likely course of action being a GL rush, therefore getting the whips out early to let them mature perfectly before advanced armory has completed.
    <!--quoteo(post=2052908:date=Dec 29 2012, 09:44 AM:name=Tova)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tova @ Dec 29 2012, 09:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you didn't have a commander what would have happened?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Those res could have been put to better use later?

You know, you join the game, it's been two minutes and you totally could be a commander, but the res were just wasted on stupid things like that.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2052900:date=Dec 29 2012, 12:27 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Dec 29 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EU servers nobody wants to marine comm usually. Doesn't take more than 10sec in the start to EVENTUALLY force someone into the chair though.

Alien side, it's a race. Half the team wants to comm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah usually you need an American to take charge of the situation!

(just kidding, my two best friends are from the UK, we always trade jabs at one another about nationality)
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    Gotta learn some time.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    The only time it is really bad is when they do not want to listen to what they are supposed to do. It is one thing when an experienced com wants to try out new stuff and strats but for people that are learning you need to focus on executing a standard build order first and then when you get the hang of things you can try new stuff out with your team.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    Wow is this thread for real? You're actually asking why newbies feel the need to command? Now I'm not a genius or anything, but I think it's because commander is part of the game and people want to experience it? What's the point of marketing your game as an FPS/RTS hybrid if you make the RTS portion inaccessible to your playerbase?

Now I agree with you on the fact that some people are just too clueless to command right from the start. (Also doesn't help that the game has no real tutorial. Take notes from Savage 2 UWE if you want a REAL example of a hybrid game.) If it's a regular server, then I am of the opinion that they have no real business trying to learn how to comm. If they're upfront about their inexperience, then be a nice person and help them learn. Why is this comm researching advanced armory right from the start? Hey comm you do know you're researching AA right? Hey comm you're not going to cancel? Alright we have AA and 2 RT's...how about some flamethrower research? Hey comm go research flamethrowers so we can FT rush. Hey guys we have flamethrowers! Let's go burninate that Hive!

Now if it's a "rookie friendly" server (or as I would like to call it a farming kills server), then you have no real choice but to help them learn. A "vet" has no real business being in these servers except to help out newbies. My buddy and I frequently go on spectator whenever we're in these servers and offer arguably helpful advice via general chat. Whether the players pay attention is their own prerogative, but I think I'm doing the right thing being helpful rather than going to the forums berating the lifeblood of this game.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited December 2012
    *###### the noobs, <!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF00FF--><span style="color:#FF00FF"><!--/coloro-->TROLL<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--> THEM ALL, <!--fonto:Georgia--><span style="font-family:Georgia"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#800080--><span style="color:#800080"><!--/coloro-->WHO<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--> WANTS MORE PEOPLE PLAYING NS2..... Not ME... <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Comic Sans MS--><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><!--/fonto-->BALLALALALALRRRRGG<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->*

Now in all seriousness, when a new player jumps in the comm chair/hive - Try to help them. Do some back seat commanding. It will pay off with more - better - nicer - commanders!

If you're kind, they will come!

-Daniel
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    " Those res could have been put to better use later? "

What res? You'd only have 1 node, in your start hive. No com, remember.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Maybe they are trying to learn. What don't you get about that?
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now I'm not a genius or anything, but I think it's because commander is part of the game and people want to experience it? What's the point of marketing your game as an FPS/RTS hybrid if you make the RTS portion inaccessible to your playerbase?
    be a nice person and help them learn<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's okay if it would happen on rookie friendly servers, but I stopped visiting those month ago. Excuse me, but I won't be friendly to someone ruining my game experience. When I join regular server, I expect at least an average commander, who either knows basic build or at least listens to players. But when we have a commander who does not know how to place an extractor, why should I tolerate this? You can't just hop into comm chair, the game HAS tutorials and exploration mode, consider completing these first if you want to 'experience RTS part of the game'. If you are this stubborn, I won't be friendly on non rookie friendly server.

Here's an example from an hour ago: I'm a marine comm, we are already winning, making a hard push their second hive and there's a lone skulk eating one of our PGs at already not so important area of the map. I warned my team a few times, but apparently they all were too busy. Well, why can't I do that myself? Sure I can!. I'm leaving comm chair, phasing there, killing that skulk, phasing back and what do I see? We have a new rookie commander! He won't do anything, won't build, won't drop medpacks, won't do scans and won't leave. I've been asking him for ages, but he won't move or do anything. While I was standing there, I gathered enough res for JP+FT went to other alien hive and started burning it, cuz it was pretty much empty. It was down to a like 15 percent when I ran out of ammo, but the comm wouldn't respond, so I started chopping it with an axe. That's when two sneaky skulks came into play. If only I got that ammo drop that hive would have been down. I respawned, but the comm chair is still occupied. We are already at 200 tres, our forward base which was built to support push is doomed and anyone who needs to restock is either dying or heading back to base. Needless to say I started to get pretty mad, voted eject and told my team to do so, pointed out that this comm didn't do a thing ever since he entered comm chair. When I got back there, I found out that we lost half of our RTs and third base...