Make it easier to find your friends ingame

LukreeLukree Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176628Members
It must have been mentioned earlier, but cannot find with search so I'm going to submit it again.

Please, make game UI more easier to be played with your friends either by:

- Making group functionality
- Making party option (party always stays on one side)
- Highlighting your game/Steam friends in UI (colored icon on map/world)

I know, it's easier to find and coordinate with each other with voice communication, but that isn't always an option, so any other way how your friends could be spotted ingame would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052746:date=Dec 29 2012, 09:42 AM:name=Lukree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lukree @ Dec 29 2012, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It must have been mentioned earlier, but cannot find with search so I'm going to submit it again.

Please, make game UI more easier to be played with your friends either by:

- Making group functionality
    - Making party option (party always stays on one side)
    - Highlighting your game/Steam friends in UI (colored icon on map/world)

I know, it's easier to find and coordinate with each other with voice communication, but that isn't always an option, so any other way how your friends could be spotted ingame would be much appreciated.

Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Groups are a good idea but I think the bit round it is you're meant to use Steam overlay to sort stuff like that, such as steam chat and playing the same servers.
    Party options are a problem as team stacking is an issue at the moment so always having groups on one side could be an issue.

Highlighting friends seems a bit over the top
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052793:date=Dec 29 2012, 05:18 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Groups are a good idea but I think the bit round it is you're meant to use Steam overlay to sort stuff like that, such as steam chat and playing the same servers.
    Party options are a problem as team stacking is an issue at the moment so always having groups on one side could be an issue.

Highlighting friends seems a bit over the top<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thanks god you are not a developer
  • LukreeLukree Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052793:date=Dec 29 2012, 05:18 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Highlighting friends seems a bit over the top<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why it would be over the top? I would like to play in co-op with my friends but at the moment it's a pain in the ash to find your friends.
    <!--quoteo(post=2052817:date=Dec 29 2012, 01:06 PM:name=kespec)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kespec @ Dec 29 2012, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052817"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thanks god you are not a developer<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No I just don't see the issue with going "hey dude what server are you playing in ?" then joining there.

Also highlighting people tends to result in people working in their own little group and not with the rest of the team.
    The fact it happens in 5 man MOBA games shows its pretty easy to become a problem.

Also team stacking is an issue, I don't think developers should make it easier for people to team stack just because some COD Kiddies want to "PWN some NOOBZ"

Its a fair bit of development and changes for something which really isn't a huge issue. NS2 isn't a console game so having all these join game and friends list options are a bit redundant when steams does a lot around it if you use it.
  • bakkotobakkoto Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052829:date=Dec 29 2012, 05:41 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No I just don't see the issue with going "hey dude what server are you playing in ?" then joining there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It´s 2013 , every Multiplayer/Team Based Games should have Matchmaking system and a lobby system.And yes like call of duty,Hallo,Cs ..etc

<!--quoteo(post=2052829:date=Dec 29 2012, 05:41 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also team stacking is an issue, I don't think developers should make it easier for people to team stack just because some COD Kiddies want to "PWN some NOOBZ"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Again thanks god you are not a developer.

<!--quoteo(post=2052829:date=Dec 29 2012, 05:41 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its a fair bit of development and changes for something which really isn't a huge issue. NS2 isn't a console game so having all these join game and friends list options are a bit redundant when steams does a lot around it if you use it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because Counter strike is a Gameboy game right?? Your argument is invalid sir and if you gonna call everyone "Kid" or "noob" cause they want a better game, you`re not welcome here.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    hi, i read this thread three times. Im still not sure whats wrong with using steam to find your friends, and coordinate "team stacking" with your buddies?
  • skyewingskyewing Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71519Members
    I see this more being used like l4d2, with a ingame button menu that says.
    Servers that Friends are on.

Would be nice, since the ingame info doesnt seem to work for one of my buddys very much.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2052854:date=Dec 29 2012, 07:59 AM:name=Hunter.S.T.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunter.S.T. @ Dec 29 2012, 07:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hi, i read this thread three times. Im still not sure whats wrong with using steam to find your friends, and coordinate "team stacking" with your buddies?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Finding the server where my friends are playing isn't the problem I would like to see solved. It's pretty easy to join the same game and even join the same side.

Party option would be nice but preferably <b>I want to find my friends ingame</b>. As in when we are already playing on same server, on same side. Like, visually spotting my friends more easily while playing.
    <!--quoteo(post=2052851:date=Dec 29 2012, 02:53 PM:name=bakkoto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakkoto @ Dec 29 2012, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It´s 2013 , every Multiplayer/Team Based Games should have Matchmaking system and a lobby system.And yes like call of duty,Hallo,Cs ..etc

Again thanks god you are not a developer.

Because Counter strike is a Gameboy game right?? Your argument is invalid sir and if you gonna call everyone "Kid" or "noob" cause they want a better game, you`re not welcome here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    After the first bit I thought you were joking, then I realised by the rest of it you probably weren't. Really is it too much hassle for you to organise groups without requiring a system to work it for you ?

Half of playing games online has always been having a laugh sometimes against friends and not needing to always play together. Sure its nice when you can but from the point of everyone else's fun letting whole groups stick together and block join a team would just lead to team stacking.

Sorry if this seems alien to you but I'd rather everyone else be able to have fun not just a small little group on a server who are out to pwn noobs or troll. So no I'm not here calling everyone kid or Noob for wanting a better game I'm pointing out it's a better game for not highlighting friends and not letting groups all join one side in a big block.

<!--quoteo(post=2052885:date=Dec 29 2012, 04:07 PM:name=Lukree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lukree @ Dec 29 2012, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Party option would be nice but preferably <b>I want to find my friends ingame</b>. As in when we are already playing on same server, on same side. Like, visually spotting my friends more easily while playing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Part of the game is though that you're working with a bigger team, I don't get this always running with your buddy thing, sure its nice to but there's plenty of others in the team you can run with too also if one of you dies what the other is going to run back to base to be able to run together still ?
    <!--quoteo(post=2052915:date=Dec 29 2012, 09:59 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Part of the game is though that you're working with a bigger team, I don't get this always running with your buddy thing, sure its nice to but there's plenty of others in the team you can run with too also if one of you dies what the other is going to run back to base to be able to run together still ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I get the "working with a bigger team" thing. For me it's not about "pwning" anyone or being superior. I really like a good game, even when losing. It just would be super nice if I'm playing something with my friend to spot him more easily ingame. Like wingman or whatever.

For some games, highlighting would break something, but not here, in my opinion as the map and ALL your allies are marked in minimap anyway. Highlighting friends in World of Tanks or even Battlefield 3 works really nicely. Those games require teamplay as well to succeed.
    <!--quoteo(post=2052951:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:19 PM:name=Lukree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lukree @ Dec 29 2012, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I get the "working with a bigger team" thing. For me it's not about "pwning" anyone or being superior. I really like a good game, even when losing. It just would be super nice if I'm playing something with my friend to spot him more easily ingame. Like wingman or whatever.

For some games, highlighting would break something, but not here, in my opinion as the map and ALL your allies are marked in minimap anyway. Highlighting friends in World of Tanks or even Battlefield 3 works really nicely. Those games require teamplay as well to succeed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    While I like the idea behind it again Battlefield 3 is built more round the squads system with squad spawning etc.

The idea of that is ok to an extent but I dare say it would be a bit annoying to implement needing to access a steam friends list and then possibly account for separate in game nicknames
    <!--quoteo(post=2052915:date=Dec 29 2012, 09:59 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a better game for not highlighting friends and not letting groups all join one side in a big block.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You must be kidding?! do you know what it means to have a matchmaking ? Well matchmaking is the process of connecting players together for online play sessions.And because <b>NS2</b> is a <b>Multiplayer/Team Based Game</b> we still have 2 choices <b>Aliens/Marines</b>.
    So if i´m solo and let´s say i wanna play as Marine all I have to do is :

<b>#1</b> Choose the team size that I want (6vs6 / 8vs8 / 12vs12 /... etc) in our case (<b>6vs6</b> for exemple).
    <b>#2 </b> Press the "Solo Matchmaking" button and go for solo queuing.Matches in this category only place players who also picked Marine in one/same team, they join a pool of other people who have made the same choice (<b>6 persone</b> "you + 5 random guys") and simultaneously the system will search for <b>6 other players (opponents)</b> those who did the same (<b>#1</b> and <b>#2</b> but they have choosen <b>Alien side</b> ).

<u><b>Notice that :</b> </u>

#<b> Solo Matchmaking "1 player" :</b> Only available to players solo queuing, matches in this category only place players who also picked the Solo Matchmaking/Matchmaking option.
    <b># Matchmaking " < than 6 players" :</b> Works almost like the "Solo Matchmaking" , except that players that queue with arranged into games where everyone is solo queuing or with pre-arranged teams that queued with Team Matchmaking.
    <b># Team Matchmaking "6 players" :</b> Works like it does currently, but teams queuing with this option will never get queued in a game with players choosing the Solo Matchmaking option.

The system estimates how good a player is based on whom the player beats and to whom the player loses. It tries to make matches where it thinks a player has a 50/50 chance of winning. It knows pre-made teams are an advantage, so it gives pre-made teams tougher opponents than if each player had queued alone (or other premades of a similar total skill level).

And Last But Most Important is what a <b>Matchmaking</b> can offer? Well :

<b>#</b> Playing with Friends in the same team.
    <b>#</b> Determine eligible opponents
    <b>#</b> Protecting new players from experienced ones.
    <b>#</b> Fairness & creating competitive matches.

And for <b>"highlighting friends"</b> is simply a <b>must</b>.We don't have to go over the cliff .

<!--quoteo(post=2052915:date=Dec 29 2012, 09:59 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really is it too much hassle for you to organise groups without requiring a system to work it for you ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guarantee you,it will work for everyone even for you ^^ .
    <!--quoteo(post=2053182:date=Dec 30 2012, 04:54 AM:name=bakkoto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakkoto @ Dec 30 2012, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053182"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You must be kidding?! do you know what it means to have a matchmaking ? Well matchmaking is the process of connecting players together for online play sessions.And because <b>NS2</b> is a <b>Multiplayer/Team Based Game</b> we still have 2 choices <b>Aliens/Marines</b>.
    So if i´m solo and let´s say i wanna play as Marine all I have to do is :

<b>#1</b> Choose the team size that I want (6vs6 / 8vs8 / 12vs12 /... etc) in our case (<b>6vs6</b> for exemple).
    <b>#2 </b> Press the "Solo Matchmaking" button and go for solo queuing.Matches in this category only place players who also picked Marine in one/same team, they join a pool of other people who have made the same choice (<b>6 persone</b> "you + 5 random guys") and simultaneously the system will search for <b>6 other players (opponents)</b> those who did the same (<b>#1</b> and <b>#2</b> but they have choosen <b>Alien side</b> ).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What ever happened to being able to look on a server browser like many other games ?

Anyway For match making to even be possible the game would need a skill evolution system or ranking system to stop new players being thrown into the mixwith veterans.

The problems with a conventional match making system are.

1) Even with rankings it will screw up and put people into matches where they are vastly outclassed or outclassing the enemy.
    2) it will either match perfectly for Ping meaning you could end up in a very empty but good ping server, or for players present in which case it could dump you into a very laggy but near full server or if they use next available server it it could be a near empty high ping one.
    3) It takes more time, especially with diverse skill ranges in a team.
    4) It removes choice to an extent, I mean at present there are French speaking servers, German, Italian and plenty of others too you'd either end up on these or
    5) Further segmenting the community by applying regional only match making, this is the death bell for many games even big budget ones online as the EU needs to have US population too and vice versa to an extent. EU left to its own devices leads to plenty of empty servers and lack of players.
    6) It requires turning over some of the server to match making rather than hosting matches

In a MOBA solo queue Match Making can take 3 minutes, in 5 man I've seem 30 minute wait times, I can't see people being happy about that

<!--quoteo(post=2053182:date=Dec 30 2012, 04:54 AM:name=bakkoto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakkoto @ Dec 30 2012, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053182"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>Notice that :</b> </u>

#<b> Solo Matchmaking "1 player" :</b> Only available to players solo queuing, matches in this category only place players who also picked the Solo Matchmaking/Matchmaking option.
    <b># Matchmaking " < than 6 players" :</b> Works almost like the "Solo Matchmaking" , except that players that queue with arranged into games where everyone is solo queuing or with pre-arranged teams that queued with Team Matchmaking.
    <b># Team Matchmaking "6 players" :</b> Works like it does currently, but teams queuing with this option will never get queued in a game with players choosing the Solo Matchmaking option.

The system estimates how good a player is based on whom the player beats and to whom the player loses. It tries to make matches where it thinks a player has a 50/50 chance of winning. It knows pre-made teams are an advantage, so it gives pre-made teams tougher opponents than if each player had queued alone (or other premades of a similar total skill level).

And Last But Most Important is what a <b>Matchmaking</b> can offer? Well :

<b>#</b> Playing with Friends in the same team.
    <b>#</b> Determine eligible opponents
    <b>#</b> Protecting new players from experienced ones.
    <b>#</b> Fairness & creating competitive matches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It also requires a lot of work.
    First a match making system, even using the MS trueskill system as a basis despite it being highly flawed its worryingly the best system out there.
    Next there's the system for placing people, I mean do you place on local servers, do you region lock, do you place on any server or only official ones. Does the server have to have x performance level to be included.
    Modded servers can't be included despite some simply being stats feedback for NS2stats.

It would also lead to more smurfing as if people know they are guaranteed to be matched with new players, some will do it simply to pwn while at present most rookie friendly servers will have admin working to prevent some super team coming in and stacking against the new guys

At present the server system is fine why change it ?
    You look at the list, you can see the name, the ping and the player numbers on there.
    You can play outside your region if you want.
    You can pick to play in servers where your language is spoken
    You can play modded servers to try some of the game modes they've created

What you're saying is rather than spend 30 seconds in steam chat agreeing on a server you'd rather spend 3- 30 minutes in a match making queue ?
    Also that you'd like all your choice extra choice removed such as language, modds installed and ping ?

All adding match making would do is cause a lot of complaints becuase.
    "its matching me with people who are too good"
    "Its matching me with noobs who suck"
    "Its taking so long"
    "Its matching me with people who don't speak my language"
    "Its matching me with laggy games"

Match making normally works (TF2 and BF3 being the exception to this really) due to the company deliberately having empty servers and emptying the servers at the end of the match. Or When a game creates its own server due to being P2P connections.

The amount of time match making would take to get even close to right really isn't worth the tiny amount convenience it would give in this case.

Server browsers are hardly some huge effort to work and search through
    edited December 2012
    <b>@Dwavenhobble :</b> Anyway it´s not up to us to decide if the Matchmaking system will be included in this game or not.I would love to see such an improvement.I´m also an Indie Game devloper and i will for sure implement the matchmaking-system into my own game ( allready working on it and it´s not that hard)
    And for <b>"highlighting friends"</b> like i said is simply a must and we really don't have to go over the cliff for such a small thing.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053390:date=Dec 30 2012, 07:14 PM:name=bakkoto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakkoto @ Dec 30 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>@Dwavenhobble :</b> Anyway it´s not up to us to decide if the Matchmaking system will be included in this game or not.I would love to see such an improvement.I´m also an Indie Game devloper and i will for sure implement the matchmaking-system into my own game ( allready working on it and it´s not that hard)
    And for <b>"highlighting friends"</b> like i said is simply a must and we really don't have to go over the cliff for such a small thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And neither is it up to you, the point of the forum is to discuss the merits of such ideas.

Seeing as we're throwing around stuff I happen to be an indie game reviewer I've seen the issue of match making in many games already hence I'm pointing out the issues especially getting it right.

As this is closer to an old school shooter I really don't see the issue with not having a system in place that's really more trouble than its worth, not least the fact you have to dedicate server space over to player ranking stats and the match making system itself, that is if you're doing it yourself and not locally storing the stats (which leads to easy tampering).

Having stats / ranks at all can funnel people to play in certain ways and try to exploit the systems itself.

For the Minor convenience match making provides all the additional stuff to make it work introduces so many more issues, I have to ask.

Why is it needed here ?

Why does NS2 need these features when plenty of games do fine with the regular server browser ?

What great benefit will this add that can't be achieved as easily by other means ?

As for the highlighting a friend option. sure its possible to do but you have to think what will it do to gameplay ?
    will it just result in people running off in little groups of friends only ?
    Will it result it people sitting round waiting or leaving people to die to go back to their friend respawning at base ?