WTF is going on?

scaramooshscaramoosh Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176621Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Is exactly what I ask even after like 10 games of playing since purchase, the UI just gives you no visual indicator or what to do and if it does then it isn't clear. I've been trying to play with friends but they have no idea what to do either and the map being the c key took ages to work out... why not m like every other game? Even when you have to map open it's like wtf? Why isn't there a mini map? Instead I have to keep opening it and working out how the hell I get around. The map design is so poor, there is so much visual clutter and they're just not intuitive to navigate either.

Why can't the game just have clear indicators of the goal? Like BF or something where you have A,B,C and D? Instead I'm like wtf? I can only guess everyone else is the same as no one seems to be doing anything but standing around.

Again another frustrating experience is not being able to spawn, like why not? Why can't the game make it clear to why I can't spawn? Instead I'm left there trying to work it out, my only guess is it is a well known bug or something.

Also why is it in this game I can never tell when I'm going to die? I don't look at health bars, they're put in a corner and when focusing on then action I never have time to look down there all the time. I need visual feedback and the game doesn't give it to me and I can be at full health one second and dead the next wondering wtf went on. There is no weight to me, I feel as light as paper and there is no animation when I get hit like most games where your camera shakes or something. There is just no feedback and that is the most frustrating thing.

In fact the whole game is frustrating because it doesn't give the feedback needed, I just cannot enjoy it. I hope it gets patched over the next year or so to become good, Red Orchestra 2 started off bad and now it is one of my fave online FPS games thanx to the constant patching from the developers.

Edit: I have to add too that playing a Marine is no fun, they're slow as ######, no iron sights and the little aliens are so all over the place they aren't fun to fight and the big aliens make no noise, they can just sneak up on you. You'd think that big boss Alien thing would make massive T rex like noises when walking and would shake your camera so you know it is coming.

Comments

• Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    Did you try Explore Mode

EDIT:
    I just read your edit.

"Ironsights"

Put your flame-suit on!

And just to put things in perspective, Marines are faster than RO2 players.
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    I hate to say this but I don't think NS2 is the game for you. Any further discussion will be irrelevant. If you like Battlefield play Battlefield, this game is very different in an awesome, steep learning curve, teamworky, complex sort of way.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    These sort of criticisms from more casual players are justified. The game is rough around the edges we know; but for the love of God, if you want to get taken seriously stop mentioning iron sights or hackneyed ideas from other games.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited December 2012
    Grrrr, figuring things out is hard!

The aliens get an upgrade called silence, which makes them silent. But it is in the weakest tech tree so is not often seen before 2nd or more likely 3rd hive.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052714:date=Dec 28 2012, 11:30 PM:name=scaramoosh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scaramoosh @ Dec 28 2012, 11:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is exactly what I ask even after like 10 games of playing since purchase, the UI just gives you no visual indicator or what to do and if it does then it isn't clear. I've been trying to play with friends but they have no idea what to do either and the map being the c key took ages to work out... why not m like every other game? Even when you have to map open it's like wtf? Why isn't there a mini map? Instead I have to keep opening it and working out how the hell I get around. The map design is so poor, there is so much visual clutter and they're just not intuitive to navigate either.

Why can't the game just have clear indicators of the goal? Like BF or something where you have A,B,C and D? Instead I'm like wtf? I can only guess everyone else is the same as no one seems to be doing anything but standing around.

Again another frustrating experience is not being able to spawn, like why not? Why can't the game make it clear to why I can't spawn? Instead I'm left there trying to work it out, my only guess is it is a well known bug or something.

Also why is it in this game I can never tell when I'm going to die? I don't look at health bars, they're put in a corner and when focusing on then action I never have time to look down there all the time. I need visual feedback and the game doesn't give it to me and I can be at full health one second and dead the next wondering wtf went on. There is no weight to me, I feel as light as paper and there is no animation when I get hit like most games where your camera shakes or something. There is just no feedback and that is the most frustrating thing.

In fact the whole game is frustrating because it doesn't give the feedback needed, I just cannot enjoy it. I hope it gets patched over the next year or so to become good, Red Orchestra 2 started off bad and now it is one of my fave online FPS games thanx to the constant patching from the developers.

Edit: I have to add too that playing a Marine is no fun, they're slow as ######, no iron sights and the little aliens are so all over the place they aren't fun to fight and the big aliens make no noise, they can just sneak up on you. You'd think that big boss Alien thing would make massive T rex like noises when walking and would shake your camera so you know it is coming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its hard to take you seriously with the lack of any coherence, what do you want to see added.
    I think you first need to understand the game, then look back on how to make the learning easier.

-Daniel
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    I agree, it seems like the game leaves players feeling a bit lost at the start of the game, I assume the tutorials help but I for one never watched them. I think it would need to be something like starcraft where you play an enjoyable campaign that walks you through different elements of the game.
    The best advice in this game is to ask questions of other players. It doesn't hand hold much at all compared to other games so players end up having to stumble around themselves a few times. I'd recommend finding a server where at least one person has a mic and knows what they are doing.

-As to your specific points, think the map is c because you need to hit it so much, m is way too far away. Not sure about the clutter, I don't feel that way but I've been playing for awhile so it all makes sense to me now, you need to see all the buildings because they blink when they are under attack which is very helpful.
    - On alien your goal is to push out, attack marines, attack their base and structures, and defend your stuff. Marines are more complicated, the commander can tell you where to go, it comes up on your map and gives you a little blue arrow path, usually to build something.
    - Good point on the spawning, it doesn't say much about why you aren't spawning. Either you're waiting for your turn at the IP, waiting for an egg or the egg you were going to spawn in was killed. Would be nice if it said more about your spawn situation.
    - I also agree, would be nice to get more feedback about getting damaged or doing damage even. You get a feel for it but can still feel pretty unexpected.

If anything wait a week or two and hop back on, what's going on right now is a ton of new people are playing so often times just about everyone on a server has no idea whats going on. Imagine if you were on counter strike, no one knows what hostages are or where they are or what to do with there, where to take them, or bombs. You gotta play and get a feel for it.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2052714:date=Dec 29 2012, 01:30 AM:name=scaramoosh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scaramoosh @ Dec 29 2012, 01:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope it gets patched over the next year or so to become good, Red Orchestra 2 started off bad and now it is one of my fave online FPS games thanx to the constant patching from the developers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A lot of your criticisms are valid and UWE, the development team, is dedicated to patching and improving NS2. Unfortunately, due to UWE's team size and limited resources, a thorough education/tutorial system was not able to make it into the first release.

Some community members have tried to make videos to assist new players with understanding the game. NS2 is very complex, but since NS2 lacks a decent tutorial, it is very easy for confusion to set in.

For marine play, I recommend watching this video:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/inB5lLAcOrM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/inB5lLAcOrM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

I honestly haven't watched it myself, and while Tycho doesn't know crap for crap about Star Wars, that video should be a good start. If you don't want to invest 25 minutes, there are other shorter videos out there too.

For aliens, check out skulk tutorial videos on YouTube. You can really learn a lot from the more experienced players who make videos.

I think NS2's greatest weakness right now is it's lack of player education. I hope you check out some videos, learn more about basic/advanced NS2 gamplay, and then really start to enjoy some NS2.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2052714:date=Dec 29 2012, 05:00 PM:name=scaramoosh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scaramoosh @ Dec 29 2012, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1)Is exactly what I ask even after like 10 games of playing since purchase, the UI just gives you no visual indicator or what to do and if it does then it isn't clear. I've been trying to play with friends but they have no idea what to do either and the map being the c key took ages to work out... why not m like every other game? Even when you have to map open it's like wtf? Why isn't there a mini map? Instead I have to keep opening it and working out how the hell I get around. The map design is so poor, there is so much visual clutter and they're just not intuitive to navigate either.

2)Why can't the game just have clear indicators of the goal? Like BF or something where you have A,B,C and D? Instead I'm like wtf? I can only guess everyone else is the same as no one seems to be doing anything but standing around.

3)Again another frustrating experience is not being able to spawn, like why not? Why can't the game make it clear to why I can't spawn? Instead I'm left there trying to work it out, my only guess is it is a well known bug or something.

4)Also why is it in this game I can never tell when I'm going to die? I don't look at health bars, they're put in a corner and when focusing on then action I never have time to look down there all the time. I need visual feedback and the game doesn't give it to me and I can be at full health one second and dead the next wondering wtf went on. There is no weight to me, I feel as light as paper and there is no animation when I get hit like most games where your camera shakes or something. There is just no feedback and that is the most frustrating thing.

5)Edit: I have to add too that playing a Marine is no fun, they're slow as ######, no iron sights and the little aliens are so all over the place they aren't fun to fight and the big aliens make no noise, they can just sneak up on you. You'd think that big boss Alien thing would make massive T rex like noises when walking and would shake your camera so you know it is coming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) You don't see the large icons in the middle of the screen telling you to build,move,attack or defend? The map is on C because its more comfortable for to hold because most have it up while moving rather than reaching across the keyboard to hold down M ( that part was really just nit picking). Visual clutter? later on you mention Battlefield which I'm going to assuming is BF3 which is all about visual clutter

2) Destory the hive or cc it's not hard it even pops up at the start of each round, while buidling things when the com drops them and destorying the enemies

3) no power in spawn which disables the IP's attached to that cc, currently in a spawning queue ( commander didn't drop enough ip's to compensate), ip's have been destroyed either by the enemy or the commander recycled out (gg'd), alien egg's have been destroyed (egg locking), not enough eggs to spawn in due to excessive deaths in the team

4) the screen goes red when you're at 10hp and the sound changes also you should watch your health don't blame the game because you cant look around

5) you're to used to new games just adapt to it, the enjoyment is when you circle strafe (are you familiar with this term?) and get multiple kills, marines can out sprint a stock skulk and they also have access to phase tech so they aren't slow at all. They do feel clunky though .The skulk (little alien as you call it) is supposed to be hard to hit because he is a mobile unit so speed and jumping around like a retard is what it does best as you play more you will learn how to counter these things. The onos does make noise you can hear it running from 2-3 rooms away and there's even music playing when it comes they aliens might of upgraded into a shade hive and researched silence which is why you can't hear it
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    Its true the game isn't known for holding your hand or teaching you things, during a live round. It does have tooltips and explore mode, but those only go so far... Most of it is unknown and also quite frustrating if there are players on the other team that know whats what.

The only thing you can and probably should keep in mind that this isn't a game like most FPS's games currently, one man army K:D ratio matches. This game is all about teamplay and as such, why not ask your team about things you don't know. And to add to this, the game has a resource system and is advertised as a RTS+FPS hybrid, meaning there are RTS elements implemented in your FPS experience, such as a spawn queue.

This might improved in terms of in game tutorials and such, but NS2 will always have a learning curve to some extend, simply because it is overall a more complex game compared to simple objective based games such as the Battlefield franchise.

Also have a look at the tutorials, they are well done and will most definitely teach you things about the game. Don't think coming into this game without any knowledge about how things work and just thinking you can wing it is your best bet. Just keep in mind that the ingame and community in general is quite friendly so if you have question, go ahead and ask :)
  • ceaRshafceaRshaf Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176140Members
    You ask "WTF is going on" and I will answer that you think this is a standard shooting game. It is not. It's about teamplay and coordination. You will not go on the map to make frags because you will die. Out of nothing as you say. And THAT IS THE POINT some times.

I will not adress your other points because the OP is arrogant. People get help when they show they wanted. You just flame.
  • scaramooshscaramoosh Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176621Members
    I don't want to do a tutorial, that isn't fun, it is called poor design to leave a player feeling lost. Not even Dayz gives you that feeling, you know what you have to do, you do anything you want. NS2 however has objectives but doesn't give you a clue what they are. I mean I keep hearing "blah blah is under attack"... like where? wtf is that? Why isn't there a mini map showing me where to go? I mean it isn't like the game doesn't have a map, just annoying having to keep pressing C and wondering wtf is going on because the map doesn't help. The map is so unclear too of levels and paths I can take I still feel lost because I have to find how to get to a different level to get to the door or whatever.

Every time you start a game no one has any clue, if you're against a team that does then it'll be over in 5 mins. You need to tell people what the objectives are, what is being attacked, where that is and what the goals are. NS2 doesn't......... that is poor design. People can be elitist all they want about it but the game will just die out and be left to the hardcore while not getting new players.

I can play any other online game and know what to do, why? They make it simple to understand. A,B,C dotted on the map, go there, sorted. Oh look it is flashing, meaning someone is taking the point, I'm gonna go defend. On NS2 you hear "under attack", look on the map, have no clue what is being attacked lol......

When the game is doing a bad job of indicating your health state, it becomes frustrating. When I play CS, the camera shakes, I get slowed down, I can tell I'm being hit. When I play BF3 my screen goes a funny colour, my camera shakes and I feel meaty, like I have weight to me. When I play NS2 the only indication I seem to have is a health bar which in the heat of combat you don't look at. It is more noticeable as a Marine but as an Alien I'm constantly like wtf? How did I die?

I can be one of them Onos Aliens and be getting shot and have no visual indicator other than that health bar. Make my camera shake, change the colour of my screen, show that HL like square blood thing in the middle of the screen.... do something other than nothing.
    edited December 2012
    The forums really should have a DP protection, when they're being slow you click the icon again and wham...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    <!--quoteo(post=2052723:date=Dec 29 2012, 01:55 AM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Dec 29 2012, 01:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052723"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Grrrr, figuring things out is hard!

The aliens get an upgrade called silence, which makes them silent. But it is in the weakest tech tree so is not often seen before 2nd or more likely 3rd hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're so wrong about silence. Just train yourself to walk on walls first, then ceiling, then hide and ambush. You'll see. Silence is really powerful. As any powerful thing it has to be used properly.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052739:date=Dec 29 2012, 03:32 AM:name=scaramoosh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scaramoosh @ Dec 29 2012, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to do a tutorial, that isn't fun, it is called poor design to leave a player feeling lost. Not even Dayz gives you that feeling, you know what you have to do, you do anything you want. NS2 however has objectives but doesn't give you a clue what they are. I mean I keep hearing "blah blah is under attack"... like where? wtf is that? Why isn't there a mini map showing me where to go? I mean it isn't like the game doesn't have a map, just annoying having to keep pressing C and wondering wtf is going on because the map doesn't help. The map is so unclear too of levels and paths I can take I still feel lost because I have to find how to get to a different level to get to the door or whatever.

Every time you start a game no one has any clue, if you're against a team that does then it'll be over in 5 mins. You need to tell people what the objectives are, what is being attacked, where that is and what the goals are. NS2 doesn't......... that is poor design. People can be elitist all they want about it but the game will just die out and be left to the hardcore while not getting new players.

I can play any other online game and know what to do, why? They make it simple to understand. A,B,C dotted on the map, go there, sorted. Oh look it is flashing, meaning someone is taking the point, I'm gonna go defend. On NS2 you hear "under attack", look on the map, have no clue what is being attacked lol......

When the game is doing a bad job of indicating your health state, it becomes frustrating. When I play CS, the camera shakes, I get slowed down, I can tell I'm being hit. When I play BF3 my screen goes a funny colour, my camera shakes and I feel meaty, like I have weight to me. When I play NS2 the only indication I seem to have is a health bar which in the heat of combat you don't look at. It is more noticeable as a Marine but as an Alien I'm constantly like wtf? How did I die?

I can be one of them Onos Aliens and be getting shot and have no visual indicator other than that health bar. Make my camera shake, change the colour of my screen, show that HL like square blood thing in the middle of the screen.... do something other than nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This game is different from most others and honestly that's the thing that has turned a simple half life mod into a standalone game that it is today. Every single person who's played this game, whether starting in NS1 or just picking the game up now from the flash sale, all started not knowing a damn thing about it, and had to spend much more time mastering it then you'd ever see from games like COD or BF. It's one of the few *true* teamwork oriented fps's you'll find anywhere. If you decide to stick around and master it, you'll know the types of games that paved the way for the other (imo more dumbed down) shooters that flood the market today, and be better for it.
    Also the ready room is the single most retarded thing, why is it needed over UI just telling you to pick a team? All people do is sit AFK in it and having to run to your team is so pointless....... just give me a picture of a Marine and an Alien and let me select my team that way.
    If you're so petty that you can't figure out how to hit ` and type "j1" or "j2" because running to a team join portal is soooo much work, maybe you should just go play another game instead of ######ing about silly crap here.
    So wish this game used Source or UE3, would be a joy to make maps in, ones that are intuitive. The editor that comes with this game seems rather limited, I'll give it a go though.
    So apparently this is just a troll that needs banned, as he/she is not reading any posts in this thread and posting pointless rants.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Well, now you're just trolling.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    This player has passed the "point of no return".

After being owned continuously as one team, assuming its imbalanced, and then getting owned on the other team, he has gone full butt hurt rage mode. At this point, the player will systematically pick out any feature that cannot be directly traced back to a game that he/she likes, and dismiss it as bad design. No amount of explaining will change this player's mindset.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    You're not playing Battlefield any more. The game works in a different way. It's very fun and rewarding when you get used to it, and it's not impossible to get used to, but yeah, you've got preconceived notions that you have to drop before you're going to make forward progress with NS2.

It becomes easy to tell when you're taking damage after not very long. Screen shake would be EXTREMELY obnoxious as you need to consistently be accurate while moving very quickly in NS2.

Aliens do make noise. When they aren't making noise it's because they are intentionally being sneaky, and that's a valid thing they're allowed to do.

There's literally a half dozen reasons why you may not be spawning. The game is fairly communicative for most of them, but in most cases it's not specifically something you've done wrong, or something you can fix individually, it's some mistake the team has made (your eggs or IPS have been killed, your base power has gone down, or autobalance mode is on are all possible reasons)

Watch a youtube tutorial video, listen to what other players are telling you, look in the options menu for the key bindings for things you can do. In any game those are usually the first steps to figuring out how things work.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052739:date=Dec 29 2012, 01:32 AM:name=scaramoosh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scaramoosh @ Dec 29 2012, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People can be elitist all they want about it but the game will just die out and be left to the hardcore while not getting new players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I actually went back through the thread out of curiosity and actually for how you stated your first post people were pretty not elitist in their replies. Basically they tried to give solutions for your problems and said the game is still being worked on. The only elitist sort of things I saw were people saying it's a game that you have to put some work into figuring out. It would be like if someone played starcraft for the first time I didn't feel like going through the campaigns.

You say you've just started playing, you're not having a great time, but not you're using the editor? I'm starting to feel like you just are trying to find stuff to complain about. I can't really imagine trying a game out after a steam sale, being confused about what to even do in the game, going to their forums and complaining, and then building maps for it.

Something seems off here
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This thread is going nowhere and scaramoosh seems to just be trolling.
This discussion has been closed.