Hive poisoning

nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
Guys I was thinking about what I would like to see in the game. Someone mentioned it was possible to ninja kill a hive in NS1 and how it was possible to turn the tide of battle.

Right now its not possible to kill a hive single handedly. So I was thinking about introducing a marine weapon that can poison alien buildings. I could look like a heavy medical syringe. Once injected the it would function like a poison and slowly deal damage for a limited amount of time. To counter, aliens could dedicate a gorge to heal the hive until the poison runs out. That way if aliens are all playing as onos or fades then they will be forced to adapt or lose a hive.

How do aliens know if their hive is poisoned.
1. When the hive takes damage there is a message notifying the player (already in the game)
2. A medium size symbol can appear in the middle of the hive, similar to the circles locating aliens on the marine HUD, which looks like a poison sign (maybe skull with two bones crossed).

Make it so that the poison is not strong enough to take out the whole hive. So then marines need to deal a small amount (maybe one whole rifle magazine) of damage which cumulative with the poison can destroy the hive. Also the poison needs to be researched so its not something aliens need to worry about at start of the game. Talking about res cost it should be a more expensive weapon than a shotgun and cheaper than an exo (the one with a fist)

What do you think guys?

Comments

• TiomatTiomat Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155713Members
    So you want a weapon that when used, requires someone to go gorge for presumably around a minute? No weapon should be able to do over 3k damage. Considering the worth of the hive, it is effectively a 'ready room phasegun' that phases an opposing player to the ready room for 45 seconds. Nothnx.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    In general I'm not a fan of doing damage when you are not at risk yourself... Bilebomb and spore are the exception to this rule, because actually getting in position to use it puts you at risk of being chased down or get a shotgun (2) to the face. This idea would simply be way too powerful as it targets the most important structure of the aliens and keeps dealing damage even after the responsible marine is already in the respawn cycle...

This game is all about PvP, and counter rushing a Hive when the Onos are up and running is a valid tactic. similarly to how the aliens can counter rush an EXO or ARC train... And brings it all in the realm of PvP and maneuvering on the map with your team...
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    It's a team-based game so no solo turn the tide weapons are desirable.