Marine Rifle/Flamer

SlorSlor Join Date: 2012-12-21 Member: 175826Members
So anybody else feel both these weapons are garbage?

Rifle- My main problem i have with it is that its terrible mid-late game. Sometimes when you have to rely on it when saving for an exo or another weapon makes me cringe and want to use my pistol instead. A realism factor i dislike is 'Hey we're in a hostile future setting, lets equip our soldiers with pellet guns.

1. I understand this game should still be in beta with its engine troubles, but the hit registration seems to be getting worse. I've actually hopped into explorer with friends and watched bullets(hits seem to fall off immensely say after about a range of 50) not hit a still target. Fire about 20rounds at 100-150range and only see 10dmg, that kind of thing. This isn't isolated, many know about this.

2. engine/hitbox/lag w/e trouble aside i feel the tier upgrade dmg needs to be boosted. At least until some things get fixed.

Flamethrower- Wow it has some great utility(insta kill cysts/clouds, sap energy) but the dmg and range are way too low. Since when is the universal purifying/destructive power of the flame hit like chocolate sprinkles? I understand it has stacking burn dmg; thats great except when you just got hit twice, only have 25hp left and hes already coming back at you 5sec later after regenerating his whole life and your comm has only just started aiding you. The res spent to usefulness ratio is BLAH

1. the radius is fine, but the range is atrocious. I'm spending 25res on an aerosol can and a lighter. Give me a break.

2. The dmg my god 7.5 direct and 3(stacking) indirect. I think its like 6seconds to kill just a skulk. Terrible.

Now i'm not saying Marines are underpowered or that these weapons have zero value, but really they need to be better. I find myself only playing aliens because of these problems. It makes it feel like a lack of variety. I either have a shotgun or an exo.. thats boring after a while.

Comments

• MrEntityMrEntity Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176489Members
    I also find the flamethrower pretty useless. It doesn't do nearly enough damage to account for the slow-walk.

The LMG is your base weapon so it shouldn't be amazing, but I have found that really the only weapon worth using once you hit the midpoint is the shotgun or an exo.
  • cobrastormcobrastorm Join Date: 2009-05-08 Member: 67370Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052122:date=Dec 28 2012, 07:27 AM:name=Slor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slor @ Dec 28 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So anybody else feel both these weapons are garbage?

Rifle- My main problem i have with it is that its terrible mid-late game. Sometimes when you have to rely on it when saving for an exo or another weapon makes me cringe and want to use my pistol instead. A realism factor i dislike is 'Hey we're in a hostile future setting, lets equip our soldiers with pellet guns.

1. I understand this game should still be in beta with its engine troubles, but the hit registration seems to be getting worse. I've actually hopped into explorer with friends and watched bullets(hits seem to fall off immensely say after about a range of 50) not hit a still target. Fire about 20rounds at 100-150range and only see 10dmg, that kind of thing. This isn't isolated, many know about this.

2. engine/hitbox/lag w/e trouble aside i feel the tier upgrade dmg needs to be boosted. At least until some things get fixed.

Flamethrower- Wow it has some great utility(insta kill cysts/clouds, sap energy) but the dmg and range are way too low. Since when is the universal purifying/destructive power of the flame hit like chocolate sprinkles? I understand it has stacking burn dmg; thats great except when you just got hit twice, only have 25hp left and hes already coming back at you 5sec later after regenerating his whole life and your comm has only just started aiding you. The res spent to usefulness ratio is BLAH

1. the radius is fine, but the range is atrocious. I'm spending 25res on an aerosol can and a lighter. Give me a break.

2. The dmg my god 7.5 direct and 3(stacking) indirect. I think its like 6seconds to kill just a skulk. Terrible.

Now i'm not saying Marines are underpowered or that these weapons have zero value, but really they need to be better. I find myself only playing aliens because of these problems. It makes it feel like a lack of variety. I either have a shotgun or an exo.. thats boring after a while.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

100% agreed
    flamethrower needs a hard fix
    advance armory needs HMG or another wep
  • bakkotobakkoto Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052176:date=Dec 27 2012, 08:39 PM:name=cobrastorm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cobrastorm @ Dec 27 2012, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->flamethrower needs a hard fix<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1000% agreed

<!--quoteo(post=2052176:date=Dec 27 2012, 08:39 PM:name=cobrastorm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cobrastorm @ Dec 27 2012, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->advance armory needs HMG or another wep<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dev´s are already working on it.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052198:date=Dec 27 2012, 10:40 PM:name=bakkoto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakkoto @ Dec 27 2012, 10:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1000% agreed

Dev´s are already working on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know the Rail gun is coming along with some exo reworks, other then that Im not sure if theres going to be any new weapons this next big patch.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052122:date=Dec 28 2012, 12:27 PM:name=Slor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slor @ Dec 28 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So anybody else feel both these weapons are garbage?

Now i'm not saying Marines are underpowered or that these weapons have zero value, but really they need to be better. I find myself only playing aliens because of these problems. It makes it feel like a lack of variety. I either have a shotgun or an exo.. thats boring after a while.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry but I completely disagree, the LMG with w3 is a devestating weapon in the right hands.
    Marines by themselves should not be able to take down most lifeforms other than perhaps a skulk or gorge, w3 LMG you can often take down a lerk. two marines and that fade runs before he gets his first kill, three and he is dead.

The FT likewise used correctly is almost unstoppable....this higher rate of damage your after was there initially in the beta.
    UWE saw the light and the instagib FT was nerfed to the levels we have now.
    Currently I can easily rack up kills with the FT, sure I am playing a support role and not just running off to "kill some aliens". Also a JP is of great help to a FT'er..keeps you off the ground away form pesky skulks...who have no energy to leap.
  • TiomatTiomat Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155713Members
    LMG - I'd say this is actually in pretty much the perfect position. Early on it can deal effectively with skulks if you can get a good burst off that actually hits them. (strange hitbox and lag compensation issues aside, I cannot say for sure either way whether this exists so it becomes moot). Once you start getting weapon upgrades then it becomes a viable weapon against higher level lifeforms <b>as long as you are in a group!</b>. You should not expect to beat a fade 1v1 with just an lmg with W3. Yes you will likely do a reasonable amount of damage but it is not a fair comparison. Two marines with W3 LMGs against a fade would likely be a reasonably even fight. A single marine is likely to die, but the fade might also die if it sticks around a bit too long.

Flamethrower - This is such a difficult weapon to balance it is never remotely as simple to say just up its damage. You try to use the argument that flame is a universal destructive power? Go take your lighter and aerosol can and try to kill a rhino with it. If you try to buff it like you are asking for so it kills a skulk in a second, would anyone even want to play aliens then? A reasonable amount of time is spent as a skulk, and then a FT would just be an insta-kill of any skulks in the room. As hakenspit said it is NOT a solo combat weapon. It is a support weapon, or a lone wolf cyst chain destroying git weapon.

As for the comments about the HMG, we really do not need it. It has no real place anymore with Exos as it doesn't add any new variety.

If you are complaining about just getting shotgun or exo, maybe you should look at your playstyle a bit? There are plenty of other things to spend res on that can directly help your teams ability to win but not so much your K/D. Both mines and welders are surprisingly effective when used right (mines more early game, welders more so later game). A Jetpack/GL rush will likely just lead to your death, but if you can take down 4 alien upgrades for it then it becomes potentially worthwhile. This isnt call-of-epeen or camperstrike where it is all about K/D.