Marine Ammo

GreatGrizzlyGreatGrizzly Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176408Members
I have been playing for about a week now and this has been driving me nuts the moment I started playing.

Whose idea was it to restrict the marines high ROF, low damage assault rifle to 4 mags of ammo?

Now I can see some value in the typical "supply lines" metagame that is inherent in a lot of shooters. But for a twitchy, fast game where a lot of your bullets will miss against a successful alien player, or even a high HP crappy player that can tank decently, this needs some adjusting.

Yes, I know that the commander can drop ammo boxes. Spamming "I need ammo" to the commander is the akin to trying to squash a fly with a hammer, when all I need is a flyswatter, but NS2 never gave me one!

In some lifetimes I have found myself traveling back to base 4 times to get more ammo. This is boring, tedious work, something that doesn't fit in with the playstyle of NS2 at all.

I get the feeling that having such a low ammo count on such a high ROF weapon is intentionally and artificially hindering me. A player should NEVER feel like he is being artificially hindered.

Suggestions that will help me in the field:

More magazines for the assault rifle to start, increased amount of max magazines that can be held.

OR

Make rifle do more damage, have lower ROF to compensate.

OR

Allow taking the ammo from guns on the ground. Actually, this should have been implemented from the beginning, as this is a standard feature in FPSs.

Comments

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Good commanders will do their best to keep an armory near the front lines to minimize how far you have to travel back to restock. They'll also drop ammo packs when your attacking somewhere they want taken (if you just running of nowhere important they might decide that its not worth the few tres to restock you).

So really the solution to this is better commanders. Maybe extra clip capacity or extra mags as an upgrade.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I understand your grievance, but I think the solution lies with the commander.

He can drop ammo as you already noticed, but he can also build forward armories. That's what's important here, an engaged commander that makes sure there's a proper supply line to the front lines.

It's a team game in the end. I'm not against picking up ammo from dropped weapons though. Just saying that it's already ok in my opinion.
  • GreatGrizzlyGreatGrizzly Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176408Members
    edited December 2012
    The problem I have is having to rely so much on a commander for something so simple, so frequently. There is also a cost associated with building armories AND I and my team become understrength while building that armory, even if temporarily.

The whole game revolves around you being mobile and taking territory. However it forces marines to stick close to armories which are not mobile. This punishes good squads by forcing them to slow down, and wait on their, most likely preoccupied, commander.

I get a sense that I am in a box, that can only be opened by the commander. Having a player feel constrained and at the whim of another player(assuming the confined player didn't put himself in the situation) is never good game design.

I like the idea of bigger mag counts as a researchable item though. It would need to be an early game unlock to be useful, as the early game is where the commander will be the most preoccupied with everything going on and wont be able to micro well enough to keep me well stocked with ammo.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051830:date=Dec 27 2012, 09:26 AM:name=GreatGrizzly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreatGrizzly @ Dec 27 2012, 09:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I get a sense that I am in a box, that can only be opened by the commander. Having a player feel constrained and at the whim of another player(assuming the confined player didn't put himself in the situation) is never good game design.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To a certain extent, you are. If you constantly find your self alone, and not getting support from your commander via ammo and health packs, you may not be doing what the commander wants you to do (or you may have a bad commander). In which case, you may need to follow the commanders orders, or find a new game with a better commander.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    You have to keep in mind that this is first and foremost a RTS+FPS game, so having ammo packs dropped from commanders is simply a must have. Reload management and ammo conservation is what the marine gameplay is all about. Forward bases with amouries might be immobile but they don't have to be mobile, simply because when set up in the correct area. You are effectively cutting off the aliens from map control, add to this a forward phasegate and you can see how very powerful this can become...

Now if the marines out on the field have extended bandoliers, the resource system needs an overhaul as well. Simply because those Ammo and Medpacks are just that extra drain on the respool. This is especially important in early and early->mid game, where resources are scarce
  • AtWarAtWar Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176435Members
    edited December 2012
    then dont waste your bullets stupid marine? only shoot to kill

<!--quoteo(post=2051814:date=Dec 27 2012, 06:42 AM:name=GreatGrizzly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreatGrizzly @ Dec 27 2012, 06:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make rifle do more damage<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahahah you can order free wins too
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    You do understand that you can theoretically kill 5 non-Carapace skulks per mag right? I'm not really sure why you need so much ammo.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Maybe it never crossed his mind to use his axe against alien structures and cysts instead of emptying magazines into them and even more notifying aliens of his exact location.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051814:date=Dec 27 2012, 02:42 PM:name=GreatGrizzly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreatGrizzly @ Dec 27 2012, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Allow taking the ammo from guns on the ground. Actually, this should have been implemented from the beginning, as this is a standard feature in FPSs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this is already implemented. But the ammo despawns quite quickly. 10? secs or so.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2051995:date=Dec 27 2012, 08:35 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Dec 27 2012, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe it never crossed his mind to use his axe against alien structures and cysts instead of emptying magazines into them and even more notifying aliens of his exact location.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah the cyst hackers >:(

Once upon a time I was a ninja along with my ninja buddy, of to visit the wizard that grows structures for our wall-walking fiends. We set out to destroy these structure and them to weaken them. It was all going so well, when all of a sudden a samurai was yelling and screaming down the hallway we were in and hacking away at all the cysts he could find.

Needless to say, I wish we had an assassin skill on the marine ninja team, because wouldn't you know it. The wall-walking fiends came and found us. Our ninja mission was over, before we knew it!
  • KazelKazel Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175939Members
    Aim better, spray less. You have a total of 200 rounds for your rifle and an additional 50 for your pistol. You are carrying enough ammo to start a small land invasion if you use it right.