What am I shooting, cream corn?

Freelancer JosiahFreelancer Josiah Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176070Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Because it certainly isn't lead!</div>Okay, I've played about 4-5 hours of the game, and I love it. You get a good commander, and you can have a blast. However, I've noticed something fairly annoying:

The guns seem to be shooting creamed corn, or something of similar density.

Sure, you get big damage numbers, but that's all they are; numbers. There's no satisfying hit, no (obvious) spurting alien blood, no cries of pain from the aliens. All there is are numbers. The problem with that is twofold: first, it makes the guns less fun to shoot. The gun sounds like someone's using some kind of party favor, not like a futuristic assault weapon.

The second problem is a bit more technical: stopping power. You see, a real gun doesn't just hit and you go 'ow'; there's a whole different aspect to it that can be summed up by a simple equation of more stopping power = alien gets staggered and can actually get killed. Now, I can't speak for everyone that plays this, but I will say that I'd MUCH rather have a gun that has lower DPS but some proper stopping power instead of this rapid-fire pea-shooting garbage. Especially in Onos attacks; having something that can stagger or slow one of those things down can really be a lifesaver in this game.

You don't even have to make it a default part of the gun if you don't want to; add it as an affect with the upgrades. I haven't played a huge amount of the game yet, but I will say that it's fun, but it needs a fair bit of work to give the marines a bit more of an edge.

Comments

• Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2050495:date=Dec 23 2012, 09:36 PM:name=Freelancer Josiah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Freelancer Josiah @ Dec 23 2012, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, I've played about 4-5 hours of the game, and I love it. You get a good commander, and you can have a blast. However, I've noticed something fairly annoying:

The guns seem to be shooting creamed corn, or something of similar density.

Sure, you get big damage numbers, but that's all they are; numbers. There's no satisfying hit, no (obvious) spurting alien blood, no cries of pain from the aliens. All there is are numbers. The problem with that is twofold: first, it makes the guns less fun to shoot. The gun sounds like someone's using some kind of party favor, not like a futuristic assault weapon.

The second problem is a bit more technical: stopping power. You see, a real gun doesn't just hit and you go 'ow'; there's a whole different aspect to it that can be summed up by a simple equation of more stopping power = alien gets staggered and can actually get killed. Now, I can't speak for everyone that plays this, but I will say that I'd MUCH rather have a gun that has lower DPS but some proper stopping power instead of this rapid-fire pea-shooting garbage. Especially in Onos attacks; having something that can stagger or slow one of those things down can really be a lifesaver in this game.

You don't even have to make it a default part of the gun if you don't want to; add it as an affect with the upgrades. I haven't played a huge amount of the game yet, but I will say that it's fun, but it needs a fair bit of work to give the marines a bit more of an edge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can agree with you in some aspects... I would like better hit response other than numbers and the occasional alien screech. I don't know the best way to do this, but I'd like it. However, I don't agree with your stopping power argument. This game is suppose to be a fast pace twitch shot fun fps, much like Quake and other super competitive shooters. Plus this game must maintain balance and fun for both sides. If this game was a single person fps where you only play marines then yes stopping power would be a good idea, but because it is not and the alien team must also be fun to play this feature will and should never be implemented. The aliens only defense is speed, and maybe a little armor for the onos... take away speed and aliens will lose easily and become much less fun to play. Even though I disagree with the staggering I would like a more noticeable flinch animation in the aliens hit by heavy weapon fire... that might make it feel like your weapons have an impact even though it technically wouldn't have one imposed on the alien player other than a loss of health.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited December 2012
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can hear a skulk screeching from halfway across the map if they get shot. It's got a very distinctive screech.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, I'm quite confused as well. The aliens, when hit, definitely spurt orangy glowing blood and will scream and do their pain twitch animation...

FYI, Skulks go down in 9/10 bullets from your lvl0 rifle, depending on hptick ;) Also the slow down on hit was tried internally and was shelved as being quite rage inducing when constantly being slowed down on hit. This is a game where the aliens have to rely on their speed and agility to get in their melee attack zone... It's not something that belongs in this game...

There are some hitreg issues as well in the engine currently, which might make it seem like you're not doing any damage. The blood, crosshair hit icon and alien screams and twitch animations can in some cases be wrong, being client side predicted. The damage numbers do speak the truth though :)
  • Freelancer JosiahFreelancer Josiah Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176070Members
    Yeah, I noticed last game I played that there are some pretty aggravating hitreg issues. Also I know Skulks go down quick, but the problem is hitting them; they just move way to quick to get a bead on them with the ultra-fine aim of the normal rifle. If the gun had a bit of spread to it, that'd be pretty good as well; it may be less accurate, but it'd have a bit higher chance of hitting and killing aliens, especailly compared to how the guns handle now.

Good lord, I just complained about guns being too pinpoint accurate. I... Honestly don't know what to say about that.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah the spread was a tiny fraction bigger in NS1. But the Skulks are larger and slower now in NS2, so the spread was reduced as a result. GoldSRC was a superb engine though, Spark still has some ways to go to catch up to the magic that is Quake tech :P
  • Freelancer JosiahFreelancer Josiah Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176070Members
    To be honest, if they tighten up the hitreg and make it a bit easier for marines to hit the aliens (circlestrafing Skulks can suck it), then the game will be absolutely outstanding. For now, the marines just feel underpowered. And it's not just because I'm not great at this game; I'm actually really good at these high-speed twitch shooters like Counter-Strike, Quake, etc. It's just the guns feel woefully underpowered right now.
  • AdreniAdreni Join Date: 2012-09-12 Member: 159063Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050507:date=Dec 24 2012, 04:00 AM:name=Side1Bu2Rnz9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Side1Bu2Rnz9 @ Dec 24 2012, 04:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can agree with you in some aspects... I would like better hit response other than numbers and the occasional alien screech. I don't know the best way to do this, but I'd like it. However, I don't agree with your stopping power argument. This game is suppose to be a fast pace twitch shot fun fps, much like Quake and other super competitive shooters. Plus this game must maintain balance and fun for both sides. If this game was a single person fps where you only play marines then yes stopping power would be a good idea, but because it is not and the alien team must also be fun to play this feature will and should never be implemented. The aliens only defense is speed, and maybe a little armor for the onos... take away speed and aliens will lose easily and become much less fun to play. Even though I disagree with the staggering I would like a more noticeable flinch animation in the aliens hit by heavy weapon fire... that might make it feel like your weapons have an impact even though it technically wouldn't have one imposed on the alien player other than a loss of health.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, in regards to the staggering... I won't say STAGGERING is the best idea unless you take something with very significant stopping power (an HE grenade is probably going to blow you off your feet, IF you survive it), but the Aliens DO need to actually FEEL the weapons and be made to take them seriously as an honest threat. Stopping power is important, but not Hollywood gun play.

If you're rushing to the side, a shot to your flanks should spin you a bit. Slow you down a bit. Taking a bullet from your approach vector should slow you down a bit more. Nothing too much... certainly not like the insane knocking in a Mechwarrior game. But enough force behind the bullets to make them think twice before "Zergrushing."
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050795:date=Dec 24 2012, 02:47 PM:name=Freelancer Josiah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Freelancer Josiah @ Dec 24 2012, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest, if they tighten up the hitreg and make it a bit easier for marines to hit the aliens (circlestrafing Skulks can suck it), then the game will be absolutely outstanding. For now, the marines just feel underpowered. And it's not just because I'm not great at this game; I'm actually really good at these high-speed twitch shooters like Counter-Strike, Quake, etc. It's just the guns feel woefully underpowered right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A lvl0 LMG will kill a skulk in 9 hits. Not even close to underpowered.
  • AdreniAdreni Join Date: 2012-09-12 Member: 159063Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2050822:date=Dec 24 2012, 08:49 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 24 2012, 08:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lvl0 LMG will kill a skulk in 9 hits. Not even close to underpowered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Part of power is the ability to use power, is it not? I've heard some complaints about hitreg before and the idea of NOT having stopping power to back a weapon is pretty bothersome. I was playing Hawken a bit earlier tonight and got semi-stuck between a wall and my turret, trying to squeeze between them to get by. Someone was kind enough to cram a missile up my thruster and send my rocketing forward at max velocity. Or so it seemed. Knockback isn't that big in Hawken, but it does seem to be there. It should be in just about everything if only to a small extent.

Anyway, happy holidays.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050964:date=Dec 25 2012, 04:35 AM:name=Adreni)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Adreni @ Dec 25 2012, 04:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Knockback isn't that big in Hawken, but it does seem to be there. It should be in just about everything if only to a small extent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Knockback was in NS1 and it sucked hard for skulks, especially when the marines were constantly jumping. One bite from a skulk and the marine was knocked back well out of bite range. Talk about be punished for getting a hit...
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    At the same rate what am I biting? I chomp on your face and you can just jump off fine?
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2050964:date=Dec 25 2012, 09:35 AM:name=Adreni)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Adreni @ Dec 25 2012, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Part of power is the ability to use power, is it not? I've heard some complaints about hitreg before and the idea of NOT having stopping power to back a weapon is pretty bothersome. I was playing Hawken a bit earlier tonight and got semi-stuck between a wall and my turret, trying to squeeze between them to get by. Someone was kind enough to cram a missile up my thruster and send my rocketing forward at max velocity. Or so it seemed. Knockback isn't that big in Hawken, but it does seem to be there. It should be in just about everything if only to a small extent.

Anyway, happy holidays.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dunno about that, but adding stopping power to fix hitreg is a bandaid solution. Similar to waaay back in the alpha days of NS2 where the alien hp and speed was "fixed" to give marines a chance during those days (talking about really early alpha here)
  • FenFen Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72843Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051410:date=Dec 26 2012, 06:48 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Dec 26 2012, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the same rate what am I biting? I chomp on your face and you can just jump off fine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Chain-jumping already has malus attached to it (not even light ones),adding more you could easily remove the jumping-ability from the marines ^^