combating op gorge walls

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
edited December 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
i think most would agree that 2 gorges can potentially lock down an important entry way with adrenaline early on in a game. by the time marines get GL its usually to late to turn the game around.

my suggestion is to bring back the rifle GL, but with 1 shot for 5 res, so marines have to pay 5 res per grenade. the marine commander pays 10 res for the GL so it can be purchased from the armory. this would allow marines to clear gorge walls effectively without having to nerf anything and costing marines res

Comments

• DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050666:date=Dec 24 2012, 02:07 PM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Dec 24 2012, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think most would agree that 2 gorges can potentially lock down an important entry way with adrenaline early on in a game. by the time marines get GL its usually to late to turn the game around.

my suggestion is to bring back the rifle GL, but with 1 shot for 5 res, so marines have to pay 5 res per grenade. the marine commander pays 10 res for the GL so it can be purchased from the armory. this would allow marines to clear gorge walls effectively without having to nerf anything and costing marines res<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually this is part of the meta game essentially.

clog walls are even according to the wiki
    Shock Absorb
    Damage to health threshold: 50
    Description: The Clog can absorb massive damage and reduce it to set amount. Shock absorb allows Clogs to be extra resilient against explosives.

Basically clogs are designed to be anti GL.

However they are weak to flame throwers and even Welders.

flamethrowers let you burn through them.
    Jetpacks let you go over them
    If you cover 1 or two Marines with Welders you can breach it fairly easily.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    this can be pretty powerfull 2 gorges last night had a good hold on a room vs me and some other marine, all i really did was buy a welder and weld the clogs the other marine just has to do the rest by killing the hydras/groges, welders are amazing against clogs and cyst
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    The usual setup I see on big public games consists of two Gorges behind a blob of clogs with 6 Hydras on the ceiling in a certain hallway. If you want brute force your way through that area, those Hydra's have to go down before anything can be done and the only way to out damage the double Gorge healing is to focus fire with 2-4 marines. Simply making sure the Gorges are constantly healing and run out of energy. After the Hydras are gone you simply have to push forward and slap them clogs down and jump the fence so to speak. Finish of them Gorges as quickly as possible with more focus fire.

But in general, I see marines just standing there shooting at random Hydras or Clogs, with the Gorges outhealing their damage output rather easily. And even if they manage to down the Hydras, the marines do not advance and just stand there shooting at Clogs :(

Once they have a shift nearby it does become quite the conundrum though :P
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    One gorge can barely hold off a choke, but 2+ gorges can easily seal off most areas. At that point you either need a larger assault force, more tech, or you need to flank the gorges. The fact that gorges made the marines take the long way around means they already paid for themselves. Trying to brute force your way through a wall may work, but personally I think you are better off attacking elsewhere for the time being.

2+ gorges holding off an area also means there are 2 less skulks running around. You can push elsewhere and force the gorges to disengage from their wall. Marines have better mobility than gorges so your team should be able to clear out that clog wall and any hydras before the gorges return.

One reason I think gorge walls are so effective is the tunnel vision players get when encountering one. You get the notion that you need to take down this wall no matter the cost and will keep banging your head against it until it falls. Meanwhile aliens are off securing the map while marines are bogged down by clogs.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    No such thing as an OP Gorge wall. Just walk away.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Well the Wall of Lame is back in ns2. Cheaper and harder to kill. In fact I didn't know grenades do less dmg vs clogs, I mean what good are gls for? You cant kill hives with gls because of whips and they are even bad vs clogs... In both cases, the flamethrower is better. What's the purpose of a gl? Dragging out marine turtle games on one techpoint?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited December 2012
    its not easy to focus fire down a gorge wall when you are dealing with skulks as well. i have seen a marine team get blocked into data core with no way out due to 2 gorge walls and 4 gorges keeping it all up with marines struggling for res to combat it the skulks do their part to keep the marines from getting to close to the wall as well.

the GL attatchment would be there to fire over the wall in an attempt to kill the gorges/ hydras. But being far cheaper than the GL for the commander and available early game, just epxensive at 5 res per shot for the marines so it isnt spammable.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    5 res per grenade is way too expensive, who is gonna buy that? Instead of some gl attachment to lmg, the grenade upgrade from ns1 would do just fine.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited December 2012
    jump.over.the.wall.and.shoot.the.gorge.
    Theres your combatting op gorge walls.
    or axe the bottom one until they drop down and have space to jump over. :P
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2050666:date=Dec 25 2012, 12:37 AM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Dec 25 2012, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think most would agree that 2 gorges can potentially lock down an important entry way with <b>adrenaline early</b> on in a game. by the time marines get GL its usually to late to turn the game around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Rofl good work ######ing over the team
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    It's hard to go to the other entrance or just stop bothering the gorges since that's 2 players being wasted on one location.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    you obviously do it at choke points most bases have only 2 entrances blocking 1 off completely is a major blow and they cant jump over because the wall has 6 hydras minimum and 20 clogs
  • KazelKazel Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175939Members
    I really don't see this as overpowered, this sort of distracting is the exact purpose of the gorge wall+hydra. It is there to block/slow down marine advancement and that is exactly what it is doing. Two marines can relatively easily kill the gorges and break the wall.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited December 2012
    Only terrible marine players lose because of a gorge wall.

1) 'baww gorge wall trapped us from leaving out of side of base' - Well aren't you stupid for allowing them to setup on your doorstep.

2) 'baww 2 gorges can work together to make immortal wall when skulks are distracting us' - So... aliens are working as a team and beating you? Cry more.

3) 'baww we lost game because we couldn't break a wall until tech up' - So you all got distracted like lemmings instead of flanking, jumping or just ignoring the wall. Congrats.

The revolutionary tactic of jumping over the wall and shooting the gorge is very powerful. They are slow and big. Hydras before maturation are extremely weak. Gorges run out of energy fast when under pressure. Simply ignoring the gorge wall is often the best choice when its well dug in and doubled up. They have now wasted 2 players while you have ignored them and capped the other side of the map.

<!--quoteo(post=2050841:date=Dec 24 2012, 04:19 PM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Dec 24 2012, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the Wall of Lame is back in ns2. Cheaper and harder to kill. In fact I didn't know grenades do less dmg vs clogs, I mean what good are gls for? You cant kill hives with gls because of whips and they are even bad vs clogs... In both cases, the flamethrower is better. What's the purpose of a gl? Dragging out marine turtle games on one techpoint?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GL still annihilates gorge walls if all shots connect, and you are not alone. Its only when gorges have whips to bounce the grenades that they can endure a skilled GL marine. The explosions also tend to kill the gorge, or force him to retreat.