terrible performance

DrowningwDrowningw Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175899Members
edited December 2012 in Technical Support
Without exageration. this is by far the worst running game on my PC. runs worse then metro 2033.

q9550 4ghz
8gb ddr2
gtx260
win764 bit

Even all low and at 1280x960, as soon as we reach end game, my framerate will be horrible. I will get like 20 kills at start and then 0 later on, cause I just can't hit anything at such low framerate.

All other games run really well at much higher settings.

I still play it occasionally, but the performance pretty much means I won't be playing seriously.

I wish I had a faster PC, but really, the game should have been source engine or something more optimized.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    My guess is you're getting in between 20-35 FPS lategame right, with dips to 15FPS during big battles? That is what I used to get at least on an older 2nd C2D/C2Q generation (E6420 OC@3.4Ghz). This is mostly cause by the CPU in this case, C2D and C2Q are not up to it to run this game at higher FPS then that during endgame. Also comparing it to other engines is of no use as those usually aren't as reliant on sheer CPU brute forcing.

How much memory does that GTX260 have btw, it's an ATI HD4800 series counterpart if I'm correct. So it must be in between 512Mb-1536Mb, meaning it should be able to run on High regardless. It's not the graphics that are the biggest issue, the CPU is concern number one. And I'm farily certain the GTX260 isn't bottlenecking it
  • blzdblzd Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149806Members
    Unfortunately this is the message you will hear: your rig just isn't "uber" enough to power through the performance issues this game can have late game in populated servers.

Clearly it's not right, and the game needs considerably more optimization but unfortunately that's the message you will see here more often then not. Even those with the latest quad cores are complaining, and then are told they need to overclock more lol.

Your best bet is simply to minimize all graphics options, and lower your resolution if possible, and hold on tight for some more patches.
  • DrowningwDrowningw Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175899Members
    thx for the replies guys.

I am indeed playing all on low and resolution 1280x960... first time ever in a video game that I needed to drop from native resolution :(

the game is so much fun, but I dunno how they expect competetive gameplay if I can't even hit anyone end game. there needs to be a test version of some sorts with another form of infestation. let it look ugly, but ffs make it playable through the whole game.

no mutliplayer game has ever succeded for a long period of time with such high minimum specs. I hope ns 2 won't die because of this.