Mic issues B232

marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
edited November 2012 in Technical Support
Since build 232 I've noticed my mic doesn't always seem to work. Generally when I first join a game it works but fairly soon after people can't hear me. They also say they can't see the mic icon light up over my model or in the player list, although I see it on the right side of my own screen. I restarted the game which seemed to fix the problem but only a matter of maybe a minute or so before people couldn't hear me again.

Checked the settings in windows and they seem to be fine. Skype and all work without issue. The mic connection is set as default for recording.

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
  • Marik_SteeleMarik_Steele To rule in hell... Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9466Members
    I haven't experienced this myself, but have a friend who was trying to use the mic last night and experienced the same issue. I don't know if he was having the same problem before b232.
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033800:date=Nov 24 2012, 11:29 PM:name=Marik_Steele)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Marik_Steele @ Nov 24 2012, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't experienced this myself, but have a friend who was trying to use the mic last night and experienced the same issue. I don't know if he was having the same problem before b232.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't say I'm sure it was introduced with 232, haven't had much time to play the past 2 weeks but I played more or less daily up to 230 and frequently during the beta and never noticed this issue before. Glad to hear I'm not the only one at least ;)
  • seraph787seraph787 Join Date: 2008-02-20 Member: 63700Members
    I've been getting issues since the beta started. I am using the logitech pro cam 9000 as a microphone.
  • Marik_SteeleMarik_Steele To rule in hell... Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9466Members
    I'm now experiencing this issue myself. I see my name and the voice chat icon on the right hand side of the screen as if the game recognizes I'm holding the push-to-talk button and would be trying to listen for mic input, but no teammates seem to hear me. Works just fine in steam voice chat.
    Just checking in, it's still a problem for me. Considering there are a few others with the same problem maybe this could be looked into? If there's anything I can do to help debug I'd be happy to, just let me know what.
    Haven't had a lot of time to play since 233 but I just did a full reinstall, deleted all local content first but still the same issue.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    edited December 2012
    there is another issue with the voice chat:
    I think it happens when you alt-tab and have alt as talk key.

when you go back in teh game, you are talking consistently until you press the alt key again.

EDIT: I never had the bug, which is described in the first post.
    but I do not use my voice chat lately that often.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    hi, only had this once when trying to plug my mike in mid game. needed to close down ns2, at which point i got the windows message informing me that the mike had just been detected.

Gave identical error to yours (i.e. no can hear me, or see the voip box with my name appear, although i can see the voip box on my screen)

probably not any help at all, but there we are.
    <!--quoteo(post=2047410:date=Dec 18 2012, 04:23 AM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Dec 18 2012, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there is another issue with the voice chat:
    I think it happens when you alt-tab and have alt as talk key.

when you go back in teh game, you are talking consistently until you press the alt key again.

EDIT: I never had the bug, which is described in the first post.
    but I do not use my voice chat lately that often.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry for the slow replies, I only have time to game and check the forums every couple of days.

@Sehzade: I had the same thought, I've noticed the 'stuck' mic on other players. But I tried rebinding the key to \ (just above alt on my kb) which made no difference. The voice icon still shows up on my hud but no one can hear me..

@Hunter: I've tried restarting NS2 several times with the mic plugged in all the time with no luck. Worth a try though, thanks ;)
  • ButmunkieButmunkie Join Date: 2012-12-16 Member: 175264Members
    Bumping this because I have the same issue, though I recently bought the game and it never worked.

My mic works on steam, teamspeak, windows echo and skype lol. So I am at a loss what the issue is.

Where does NS derive its settings from? It doesn't have its own set of options so does it take them from steam or windows?
    I've never noticed any settings related to the microphone other than voice volume. In the mean time I had the bright idea to clear out my APPDATA NS2 folder too but no change.

For me the strangest part is that other players don't see my mic icon lighting up while it does display on my screen. Are you seeing that too?
  • ButmunkieButmunkie Join Date: 2012-12-16 Member: 175264Members
    I managed to get this one fixed.

What was happening is even though steam was showing my headset as the device being used. When I went into the change device menu it had actually created my headset and a random generic mic as well. Never bothered to check because steam didn't seem to mind this, but NS did.

So I set both the listening device and recording device to my headset and it all came good.
    edited December 2012
    You're a lifesaver Munkie! That was it, Steam somehow had defaulted to the generic mic input and not the front panel input I actually use. Steam apparently uses its own internal settings, independent from those in the Windows control panel which means that games/apps that use the Windows settings were working but NS2 wasn't.

Problem finally solved it seems. Thanks again!