More people need to check this out.

tamalontamalon Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168470Members
<div class="IPBDescription">ENSL Gathers</div>just thought more people needed to see this :).

''These are pick-up games where a dozen players decide to play a competitive NS2 game together. Anyone who understands basic english and is willing to listen is welcome to join. These games are much more demanding, organized and arguably more fun than the public servers- You can get a taste of the competitive NS2 scene in a more casual and friendly atmosphere. Nearly all players who play gathers regularly prefer them over public. Gather games tend to be more balanced as captains pick the teams, and admins might intervene to avoid boring walkovers.''-Dark Queen

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119466" target="_blank">ENSL Gathers</a>

Comments

• sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    does this cover the states as well?
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, anyone in the world can play these.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    The concept sounds fantastic, but I've been avoiding these sorts of things because I'm just an average player, nowhere near good enough to play competitively.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050157:date=Dec 23 2012, 02:55 AM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Dec 23 2012, 02:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The concept sounds fantastic, but I've been avoiding these sorts of things because I'm just an average player, nowhere near good enough to play competitively.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Most of the hardcore players have stayed away from the gathers because the overall skill level has dipped quite a bit. You'll be fine, if you're interested.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the info!
    This seems to be right down my alley, but allas! I'm sometimes randomly forced to go afk for a few mins while playing. I suspect such behaviour is not tolerated in a semi-competitive match?
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050175:date=Dec 23 2012, 03:06 AM:name=KwisatzHaderach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KwisatzHaderach @ Dec 23 2012, 03:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050175"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the info!
    This seems to be right down my alley, but allas! I'm sometimes randomly forced to go afk for a few mins while playing. I suspect such behaviour is not tolerated in a semi-competitive match?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No. 6v6 format is much more time crucial. It's very noticeable and inappropriate.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    I have played quite a few gathers with the [420] guys and they are very fun. The skill level is slightly above-average, but usually not terribly high.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The skill level isn't typically that high, it's more of a "n00b free zone" than a place for extremely skilled players to go. It's actually kind of bumming me out, cause I'm definitely one of the lower-skill level guys that goes in there and there are days when I'm one of the better people in the gather :/ I wish there were more top-tier players in there to play against so i could try and copy what they do to kill me :p
    Been watching the gather count for a few hours now, and waiting in it myself for a bit of that, never seems to get more than 2-4 players :(

Guess I picked a bad time to try it out!
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2050560:date=Dec 24 2012, 01:42 AM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Dec 24 2012, 01:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Been watching the gather count for a few hours now, and waiting in it myself for a bit of that, never seems to get more than 2-4 players :(

Guess I picked a bad time to try it out!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're in Canada my friend you should check out the reddit.com/r/ns2/ gathers. I just started going a few weeks ago and we've even played with people who had JUST gotten the game. Everyone is awesomely friendly, and for someone who's been a part of the community so long I'm sure you'd enjoy it as the skill level is all over the place.

Not to steal the thunder from ENSL, but IF you're not in the EU area you'll probably get a better ping at these gathers. They put on gathers every Wednesday night around 8pm central (I believe) and I've definitely played until 3am with these guys/gals on more than one occasion. You'll get notices about it, and can always join the chat to ask about it, if you join the steam group: /r/NS2.

Gathers and PUGs are where it's at.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Ping isn't usually an issue with ENSL gathers, there are both US and EU servers available which usually get voted based on majority.
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    Good to know! I've checked ENSL gathers but like it's been said before my prime times seem to be not-so-prime for ENSL gathers. If you guys are getting together on a regular basis i'd love to know! I really do play NS2 a bunch. Hit up Cat Cop on steam. I swear i'm an average or above player most of the time in PUG's.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    they are fun but i never know when to join them
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    ENSL have most european activity, though activity from north americans have been steadily growing as well lately.

Usually it can take a while for a gather to start, unless another one is being played at the time you're joining.
    It can take quite a lot of patience if you're new to the gathers and don't have any friends playing ns2 that you can invite.
    Also, gathers usually happen most often in the evenings, as that's where most players are online.

I recommend adding people from the gathers to your friends list, so you can advertise the gather link to them when you feel like gathering. =)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050157:date=Dec 23 2012, 10:55 AM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Dec 23 2012, 10:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The concept sounds fantastic, but I've been avoiding these sorts of things because I'm just an average player, nowhere near good enough to play competitively.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think there's any minimum requirement to play competitive in general, it's just a way of approaching and playing the game, not any particular level of skill. Two worst teams in the world practising once in two weeks can still be competitive just fine.

However, I wouldn't even go calling gathers comptetitive. They are <b>organized</b> play and obviously you're trying to win the rounds, but it's not really comptetitive all the way. The aim is to build up somewhat evenly matched team from whoever is participating, not to build up top tier teams out from nowhere. Good attitude and willingness to cooperate and communicate are much more important than any particular skill level.

As for any lack of skills, gathers will probably help you improve much quicker than any public game will and you might also find useful contacts in case you want to try joining an actual competitive team at some point.
    I did the competitive plan in my NS1 days, I was in a few clans (well, only one of them was serious), and I certainly don't have that kind of time available anymore ;)

I was a student then, but that was years ago.
  • xorexxorex Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148550Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Anyone who is an experienced player looking to play ns2 in a more organized fashion should really check out the gathers. You don't need to be an amazing player by any means, however you should understand that the skill level is quite a bit higher than a pub. In my opinion gathers are the best way to get into the competitive scene because most of the time you will have a lot of players in top clans participate in them. If you can hold your own vs. some of the regulars you might find yourself on a competitive ns2 team if that's something you're interested in :)