Magnetic Boots!

MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
edited December 2012 in Modding
<u><b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Magno Boots for Natural Selection 2<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b></u>

<b><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->by Winston Smith (MCMLXXXIV)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>
<b><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Christmas Cheer provided by fsfod, Jibrail and JimWest!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>
Mod link: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=114984474" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=114984474</a>

Merry Christmas one and all! Mod Santa has brought a very special present to the NS2 community this year, with plenty of Christmas Cheer: Magnetic Boots!

Why should aliens have all the fun? New research from TSF labs has brought us a wearable pair of boots with magnets attached, allowing Marines to scale the highest heights and engage their foes in the smallest of crawl spaces... See this informational video for more information!
<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VjJnVeUGwxY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VjJnVeUGwxY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<u><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->How to play on your own:<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<ul><li>Subscribe to our mod in the Workshop.</li><li>Click Play... -> Start Server and choose a map.</li><li>Go into the console (with the ~ key) and type 'cheats 1'.</li><li>Look at the ground near you, then in the console, type 'spawn magnoboots'.</li><li>Some boots should appear! Look at the Magno Boots and press the use key to pick them up.</li><li>You can now walk on the walls...</li></ul>
<u><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->How to use the boots on a server that is running this mod<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<ul><li>Get your commander to build a prototype lab.</li><li>For the commander, a new research unlock is available at the prototype lab with a symbol of some armor. This is the Magno Boots Tech unlock.</li><li>After researching Magno Boots Tech, any marine can buy them at the prototype lab</li></ul>
<u><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->How to run this on your server:<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<ul><li>See the server guide here</li></ul>
<u><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Future plans:<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<ul><li>We need to have a 'fuel' meter so that marines can't just spend all of their time on the ceiling.</li><li>I plan to integrate this as a new ability in Combat Mode!</li></ul>

Comments

• MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Reserving this space for updates....
  • MetaMindMetaMind Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174358Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Wow, good job MCMLXXXIV, this is really something else...
    also make sure that if fuel meter is implemented, marines take big fall damage(maybe even death ^^)
    Let me know if you find any bugs or weird stuff with it. I know the physics isn't quite right but the general idea is in there. I think we could also apply the same changes to give the exo suit magnetic boots too...
  • MetaMindMetaMind Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174358Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2012
    Hmm Exos with wallwalking ability seems to be too unrealistic, maybe as a fun mod or something.
    Btw it would also be great for mappers if the magnetic boots only work on certain areas you are defining.
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <3 nothing more to say
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited December 2012
    Just like in Ratchet&Clank, awesome implementation, you should make it so they could only use that on some certain surfaces (metalic for this case)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    Now all we need is a gravity entity and we've got a new game mode!
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2050324:date=Dec 23 2012, 08:06 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 23 2012, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now all we need is a gravity entity and we've got a new game mode!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Anyone remember those crazy Serious Sam maps with Moebius-strip-like structures and stuff?
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    But then the view has also to be changed, then it would be like serius sam^^
    edited December 2012
    Jibrail's posted a new version of the video with a new festive voiceover and instructions and you can see it on the top of the topic. Some good ideas about how to improve the boots... I particularly like the idea of having only the ability to stick to metal (making them ineffective in infestation areas, which gives an extra incentive for the aliens to spread infestation near vent entrances). Merry Christmas everyone!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    updated the video description with links to this topic and steam workshop, merry christmas everyone!
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    :) if I had the capacity to record videos, I could have brought you wall-walking Onoses anf flying farting marines months ago. It was my first and only mod for any game ever.

Nice work though!
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    as much as fun this might look, its a completely bad idea, or extremely silly to even add as an option like that. It may not be what you want to hear, but i do believe your talent might be useful in other areas.

1. Porting over NS2c mod movement to combat mod - this will improve current bad jetpack movement, and aliens greatly
    2. redesigning gorge chambers, adding ns1 models allow the gorge to build forts for example like he did before and allow marines to build turrets for example as well
    3. bring back /xmenu ideas other good example this third option holds much more options which can vary greatly for both sides
    4. bring back the old HMG into the game, without being forced buying exo suit (since of the limit currently)
    5. add and improve; acid rocket, projectile spores, xeno, celerity etc

I'm sure more can be added, but hopefully you get an idea. These and many other options would greatly require your attention to improve the current combat mod.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    this could be a very good addition to MvM i think o.o
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    MvM wall walking reminds me of matrix :p
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    This looks awesome.

MCMLXXXIV are you able to add Fall Damage as someone else suggested maybe even split fall damage out into its own mod if it's easy to incorporate?

I would like Fall Damage in general and others might just want fall damage, not sure, but adding fall damage for this and also some of the Combat Mod Maps would be great.
    I think JimWest has already added Fall Damage to his ExtraEntities mod so I think we're covered. It has to be enabled in the map itself. The extra entities mod is also included with Combat so when we get the magno boots in there it will also support fall damage if the mapper has configured it...
    I think JimWest has already added Fall Damage to his ExtraEntities mod so I think we're covered. It has to be enabled in the map itself. The extra entities mod is also included with Combat so when we get the magno boots in there it will also support fall damage if the mapper has configured it...
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    What do you mean? Fall damage is determined per map? Not by the server? Can it be over-ridden?

Is fall damage in NS a set amount loss? Or depending on impact/velocity?

i.e. in half-life I think there was an option to lose 10hp per fall or a variable amount depending on height and velocity etc.