Fields of green... the horror.

2»

Comments

• NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    I tried commanding, but I needed to get out of my chair half the time to kill stuff because nobody else would.
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=114854064" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=114854064</a> can't believe I sat through this game, more than 50% of the time I was out of the comm chair just killing stuff because my team was elsewhere and I was too lazy to beacon. I hope the newbies learned something at least.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2049641:date=Dec 22 2012, 04:14 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Dec 22 2012, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tried commanding, but I needed to get out of my chair half the time to kill stuff because nobody else would.
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=114854064" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=114854064</a> can't believe I sat through this game, more than 50% of the time I was out of the comm chair just killing stuff because my team was elsewhere and I was too lazy to beacon. I hope the newbies learned something at least.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

132 kills xD thats sick.

But honestly its really hard to play with Rookies when they cant even follow simple instructions >.<
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    I had a blast on a Rookie Server ([SMNC] or something?) yesterday that I followed my friend to (he just purchased the game through the Flash Sale). I simply Commed/Khammed every round and played a more passive role of teaching players. Each game I played it was literally nothing but Fields of Green on both sides. I found that the side I lead always won. An obvious reason for that is the opposite Comm/Khamm never really did anything.

I simply narrated everything I was doing, answered questions, and explained the reasons I was doing something. Immediately after winning there were already people crying for balance and how OP one side or the other was. Opinions changed as I changed sides and further educated more players. It was an interesting and powerful evolution of the players I was able to witness firsthand. I only had one game where it became ridiculous. Despite my over-explanation of the function of power nodes, my team simply could not push a dug-in last-stand Marine team with only one RT. We were swimming in resources and had every evolution. It took me coming out of the Hive and pushing as a Gorge while coaxing/coaching the team all along to push in with me to ultimately win.

I even coached my friend (he Commanded) to a victory on Mineshaft by demonstrating the broken power of ARCs in Central. All in all, I am looking forward to playing with my Newbie friend again tonight.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I played for several hours last night in rookie-filled servers and it was some of the most fun I've had since the game released.

Help the newbies, save the larger community. Or, be an intolerant elitist jerk I guess, and you can play by yourself in a few months when everyone is gone?

Seems like an obvious choice to me.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049641:date=Dec 21 2012, 09:14 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Dec 21 2012, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tried commanding, but I needed to get out of my chair half the time to kill stuff because nobody else would.
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=114854064" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=114854064</a> can't believe I sat through this game, more than 50% of the time I was out of the comm chair just killing stuff because my team was elsewhere and I was too lazy to beacon. I hope the newbies learned something at least.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

97 minute game? God, you have the patience of a saint Neo. I admit I was playing a game maybe two nights ago that was going this way when I joined, and was still going when I left at like 60+ minutes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k" target="_blank">Ain't nobody got time for that!</a>
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I had to click the link twice to see if you were on the same server I was earlier, but I was on the alien side.
    <a href="http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/52095/74.63.253.114:19990" target="_blank">http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/5...3.253.114:19990</a>

Was a pretty good game of back and forth leapfrogging bases for the first hour or so then it just got tedious.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048907:date=Dec 20 2012, 08:33 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Dec 20 2012, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By god, December and January are going to suck.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No offense but you are certainly nothing special in game. Perhaps I could tutor?
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    Makes for good spectate games for ######s and giggles
    I wonder if OP is one of those people that teamstack and then ###### at people like me who spectate and offer advice to the team full of green players because I don't feel like joining a team with 1 rt and absolutely zero upgrades 15 minutes into the game.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    There's a new type of games. Called the "Three RT games". Games where you can hold at max 3rts, 1 of them constantly going down. Games where you just hold these 3 rt's and tech to 3/3 and dual exos, after which you can start SLOWLY, SLOWLY pushing out, with the help of +10 macs and +10arcs.

Commanded and won 2 of these +60min games so far. Gods. The pain. But I guess it was kind of satisfying, in the end atleast.

This tactic btw works pretty well, aliens rule the map because that's what aliens do, but they're not organized enough to kill bases or exos, so eventually you can win.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    I generally don't feel anything against new players, but when a guy goes into the command chair and goes "Hi I'm new to this" (not rookie green but a new cmd player) and as the game goes on he refuses to take help from more experienced players. When that happens I go berserk.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049171:date=Dec 21 2012, 01:51 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Dec 21 2012, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For gods sake: Teach the new players! Don't stack aliens! If you have only a bit of brain, you shouldn't sacrifice a greater player base for your short-timed fun.

It may be hard to go marines right now. But if you not help the new players, they will go. And this will kill NS2 in the long term. So think ahead! You will have more fun in the future, if you help the newbs instead of bashing them now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this this this this this!
  • PlecyPlecy Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174175Members
    I kind of like all the new players, I usually have to command, because more often than not they are not up for it, but it feels good to help somebody understand the game.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    Had a green marine team last night that actually listened and kicked ass. They were terrible shots but they were aggressive as ###### kept pressuring the hive long enough for me to cap all but 3 rt's on mineshaft, then they won without arcs or jetpacks or exos. It was glorious.

Also had a good time getting my skulks to xeno rush a more experienced marine team over and over again... the marines had no idea what to do against it. 3 skulks using xenocide at the same time is actually surprisingly powerful.
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050074:date=Dec 23 2012, 04:23 AM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Dec 23 2012, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Had a green marine team last night that actually listened and kicked ass. They were terrible shots but they were aggressive as ###### kept pressuring the hive long enough for me to cap all but 3 rt's on mineshaft, then they won without arcs or jetpacks or exos. It was glorious.

Also had a good time getting my skulks to xeno rush a more experienced marine team over and over again... the marines had no idea what to do against it. 3 skulks using xenocide at the same time is actually surprisingly powerful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds glorious.

Best part about greens is that they don't back-seat command, they don't question their orders, they are enthusiastic and fearless most of the time... they don't see an Onos, look at the game timer, and start screaming GG, RECYCLE, NOOB TEAM@@!@!$$%%^... they actually shoot the fkn onos and play it out.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I wish rookie comms showed up in different color as well. In fact, not just 4 hours, rookie comm should be highlighted until 10 hours played.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    For what it's worth, according to steam stats the game is slightly more balanced with tonnes of rookies than it was without.
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050241:date=Dec 23 2012, 10:10 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 23 2012, 10:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For what it's worth, according to steam stats the game is slightly more balanced with tonnes of rookies than it was without.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, saying that two clueless teams have more or less of an equal chance of beating one another really doesn't say much about the balance of a game....
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you get people willing to learn how to play then it can be a lot of fun teaching them. Last night, some guy who had never commanded before jumped into marines. I decided to help him out on what to build, what to do, etc but we lost the first game but won the second time he commanded. He then swtiched to aliens and tried to command, again I helped him out. Surprisingly, if you are vocal in the game then helping other players is a tonne of fun and more fun than playing with more experienced players.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050237:date=Dec 23 2012, 06:58 AM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Dec 23 2012, 06:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050237"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wish rookie comms showed up in different color as well. In fact, not just 4 hours, rookie comm should be highlighted until 10 hours played.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this, plus it should show rookie status for the comm. Need to know early if the comm is new. Had a marine commander dropping medpacks instead of an RT because annoyed people said to just click the node. I assume someone was low and the medpack icon was above their head :P

I've been really enjoying the rookie time. I've been using to try out new things, I'm new to commanding on both sides so been doing that. I suck at fades so been trying that out, seems to be hit or miss. Also teaching has been a blast, people have been really really receptive and positive to advice and random information.

Gameplay has been interesting and different, got bile bomb in a game as the first upgrade, then when I told them how to upgrade basics we got adrenaline then camo. Got the rest after I told them they can research both options by having a second building.

Another game had a commander stick an obs out in the hallway (platform) and we worked our way into i think warehouse where he put down sentries. Well one sentry (after i asked if he wanted a sentry with his battery), if he had been a lil faster and gotten more than the one I think it would have worked out surprisingly well.

Rookies reaction time to defend areas can be a little frustrating but quite frankly that's a trait we see in none rookies too. But for rookies even finding a certain area is difficult, telling them to hit c is helpful but only so much.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Veteran Elitism aside, Im enjoying the waves of new players. The ones that listen I mean, the newbies that come play and then quit after 5 minutes and try to grief everyone else gets annoying.