Hey, so anyone remember the old Nano-Gridlock server? Or Lunixmonster?

Zero7Zero7 Join Date: 2002-03-10 Member: 301Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Well, they're back.</div>That's right! Old #evo reg MadFunk has the NANOGRID server up. It's a 20 slot. Who's ready for some pink glowing adnubs? I got the black armor so it'll look <b>lacey</b> and <b>frilly</b> - no idea why I bolded those words. admin_llama

Nooblet got the go ahead and got hosting for the new Free SunnyD | Lunixmonster.org NS2 server. 16 Slot. Who's ready for some games between all the old LM regs? You'll see bonus admins like me, fewlio and Rath! Regs like Leader, Guspaz, Sandrock, Swiftspear and Tess! We're missing Mr. Bill =[

Edit: Server IPs, courtesy of Zek!

<!--quoteo(post=2037562:date=Nov 29 2012, 08:08 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 29 2012, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IPs for the Steam server browser:

Nano-Grid: 199.192.205.189:27016
Lunixmonster: 74.63.228.254:22221<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See ya'll there!

Comments

• TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037059:date=Nov 29 2012, 06:45 AM:name=Zero7)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zero7 @ Nov 29 2012, 06:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ooblet got the go ahead and got hosting for the new Free SunnyD | Lunixmonster.org NS2 server. 16 Slot. Who's ready for some games between all the old LM regs? You'll see bonus admins like me, fewlio and Rath! Regs like Leader, Guspaz, Sandrock, Swiftspear and Tess! We're missing Mr. Bill =[<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also skill is still bant.
  • Zero7Zero7 Join Date: 2002-03-10 Member: 301Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037066:date=Nov 29 2012, 02:50 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 29 2012, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also skill is still bant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, I still get accused of hacks too.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Are there reserved slots?
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Holy crap yes!

LM is back? I'll be there. Where's DHP, Holy_Devil, and of course, the humourous Billocates (one of the things I miss most from NS)?
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037137:date=Nov 29 2012, 05:42 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Nov 29 2012, 05:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are there reserved slots?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not at this time. The reserved slot plugin I've seen so far is buggy as all nuts.

I've been playing a fair bit on the west coast Old-F server too. Love the Old-F guys, one of the bastions of safe play in NS1 very very late into it's life span.

I miss Friendly Fire though, that was a big chunk of the reason why I started playing Lunix Monster in the first place back in the day. None the less, it's a great server with active and pretty awesome admins. 10/10
    <!--quoteo(post=2037164:date=Nov 29 2012, 07:49 AM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Nov 29 2012, 07:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy crap yes!

LM is back? I'll be there. Where's DHP, Holy_Devil, and of course, the humourous Billocates (one of the things I miss most from NS)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nice! I haven't seen DHP or HD yet. Bill's not around either yet, and relocates are harder in NS2, I did a couple relocates on LM the other day though :P (mostly relocating to smelting on refinery)
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Omg!!! Lunixmonster was the best Alpha/early beta server!!! I will def be a regular there again.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I looked into reserved slots for LM, but we haven't found a good solution yet (we aren't all expert hackers like Voogru ;))

Currently our solution to the problem is, if the server is full and an LM reg or admin wants to join, we add a password to the server to prevent new joins, wait for somebody to leave, join ourselves, then remove the password. The process takes a while (since we have to wait for somebody to leave), but at least nobody gets kicked.

EDIT: I'm still trying to convince Cheez to join the ranks of LM regs playing NS2, even offered to give him my gift copy of NS2, but have yet to succeed ;)
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    I can haz Free Sunny D?

I still need added to the Steam group, lol.

... I hope my ping is good enough!
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    There is a warm fuzziness in this thread that I cannot begin comprehend.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    IPs for the Steam server browser:

Nano-Grid: 199.192.205.189:27016
    Lunixmonster: 74.63.228.254:22221
    When was the Nano-Grid server a big thing? I remember LM had quite the reputation when I started regularizing it. I don't think I ever played consistently at Nano.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    My memory isn't so great but I know Nano Gridlock was around from the very beginning and also came back in like 2004?
    I never much played on nano, but I knew about it... Everybody did.
    Ah, I guess that's why then, I'm old when it comes to NS, but I'm not THAT old :P
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037626:date=Nov 30 2012, 02:25 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 30 2012, 02:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When was the Nano-Grid server a big thing? I remember LM had quite the reputation when I started regularizing it. I don't think I ever played consistently at Nano.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nano-Gridlock was Evolutionarily Challenged's server, and was around from day one. Lunixmonster kind of grew out of Nano, since it was started by LB after he decided to stop running Nano.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Nano-Grid was around the same time as FR31NS, the old [CoFR] server.

Both were hugely popular IIRC, I played on FR31NS.

Heck, Flayra even helped fundraise FR31NS when it was thought we couldn't go on. I think this was the 1.04 days.
    I do remember playing on and liking FR31NS, but it always kind of struck me as the watered down friendly fire free version of Linux Monster :P

The most fun you ever have with a game like this is playing with people that are fun to play with. I see myself being addicted to NS2 for quite a long time the way things seem to be going so far :)
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    My favorite part of LM was banning CWAG every time he'd come crying back with a sob story about his autism and assburgers.
    Oh wow, I forgot CWAG.

I miss Nadsy, Greyduck, Holy_devil. So many to mention.

Swift, I played last night on LM for a while, so good to see so many old familiars. Zairo7 where are you?!?

And Sheena!
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Cool! Two more quality servers added to the mix!
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2037910:date=Nov 30 2012, 04:17 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Nov 30 2012, 04:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh wow, I forgot CWAG.

I miss Nadsy, Greyduck, Holy_devil. So many to mention.

Swift, I played last night on LM for a while, so good to see so many old familiars. Zairo7 where are you?!?

And Sheena!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Greygoze, HD and his hax. It's the voices and the banter I miss more than anything else, haha.
  • Zero7Zero7 Join Date: 2002-03-10 Member: 301Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037910:date=Nov 30 2012, 12:17 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Nov 30 2012, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Zairo7 where are you?!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*bats eyelashes prettily*

More pertinent information. And some random acknowledgements:

Reserved Slots for both servers are on hold currently (because the current solutions are "eh") - both servers WILL have reserved slots eventually. I also miss friendly fire and would not be averse to trying NS2 with it for a few rounds to test it's viability.

I talked to Holy_Devil and he's a bit too busy for games currently. Although I do believe he plans on joining us eventually. It'll be far easier once LM and the new Nano get all the fixin's.

No idea what happened to GrayDuck. Sheena fell off the face of the earth as well.

Necrosis - bug any of the active admins via Steam to get added to the LM Steam group
    Cheez owns the game now (paid for it and everything, no gift copy required), so hopefully that'll be another reg back.

I was never a fan of friendlyfire when we had it on LM :P
    <!--quoteo(post=2037990:date=Nov 30 2012, 02:23 PM:name=Zero7)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zero7 @ Nov 30 2012, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*bats eyelashes prettily*

More pertinent information. And some random acknowledgements:

Reserved Slots for both servers are on hold currently (because the current solutions are "eh") - both servers WILL have reserved slots eventually. I also miss friendly fire and would not be averse to trying NS2 with it for a few rounds to test it's viability.

I talked to Holy_Devil and he's a bit too busy for games currently. Although I do believe he plans on joining us eventually. It'll be far easier once LM and the new Nano get all the fixin's.

No idea what happened to GrayDuck. Sheena fell off the face of the earth as well.

Necrosis - bug any of the active admins via Steam to get added to the LM Steam group<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sheena still posts cool videos on the youtube thread in the off topic forum on a semi regular basis. She's around somewhere, don't know if she has interest in playing the game on an east coast based server again :P
  • Florp_IncarnateFlorp_Incarnate Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3045Members
    I'm the server operator for the new OldF server (to be uniquely named this weekend).

I installed DAK mod to implement reserved slots on our server. It locks the server at 17/18 players, and Old Fogies can join the server using a password at that point. We're all disappointed in the current implementation but it is the best that is available, and res slots are required for community building. After all, if you want to grow a group of calm, mature, fun players, you need to give them more incentive to come back than just "low ping". I'm holding out for the UWE team to hear our pleas and implement res slots natively.

Congrats to LunixMonster, that was the second home for many OldF members during the NS1 days! If the LM admins would like help setting up DAK res slots, feel free to PM me.
    <!--quoteo(post=2038094:date=Nov 30 2012, 05:26 PM:name=Florp_Incarnate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Florp_Incarnate @ Nov 30 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm the server operator for the new OldF server (to be uniquely named this weekend).

I installed DAK mod to implement reserved slots on our server. It locks the server at 17/18 players, and Old Fogies can join the server using a password at that point. We're all disappointed in the current implementation but it is the best that is available, and res slots are required for community building. After all, if you want to grow a group of calm, mature, fun players, you need to give them more incentive to come back than just "low ping". I'm holding out for the UWE team to hear our pleas and implement res slots natively.

Congrats to LunixMonster, that was the second home for many OldF members during the NS1 days! If the LM admins would like help setting up DAK res slots, feel free to PM me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The general practice for those types of reserve slot systems is to run an odd numbered slot limit on the server. So you're at 18/19, rather than the unbalanced 17/18
  • LokeTheSleekPeruvianLokeTheSleekPeruvian Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20054Members
    <3 Any particular days you guys are playing?
  • MrGunnerMrGunner Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11757Members, Constellation
    I don't care what you call the server it will never be LM unless LightningBlue is on there banning people for whatever arbitrary rules he makes as reasons for why you are beating him.
    edited December 2012
    Well, LB isn't on there, and he's not banning people, nor do we ban them for that reason :P

We don't ban people often. I did ban a pair of griefers once though, that was both satisfying (because, banning griefers feels like you're defeating them), and disappointing (because it means the experience of players was compromised before you managed to ban them).

In terms of what time we're playing, normally in the evenings EST on weekdays, afternoon on weekends. I haven't been on as often recently with everything getting crazy for the holiday season, but Nooblet has been on more frequently.

EDIT: Florp, totally missed your post. I think we're still looking to have res slots at some point, will probably bug you about it when we get around to it, thanks!