The Fear of Death in this game ?

2»

Comments

• fivesevenfiveseven Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173272Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->veteran<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->veteran<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pet peeve, but didnt this community use to use this word to refer to something specific?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2049268:date=Dec 21 2012, 12:04 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Dec 21 2012, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This so hard. People see a clogged up area and assume there is an entire fortress behind it so lets just sit here and wait until they get a bunch of Onos and then f4 and leave to mess up another game. Usually it is a lone gorge and all it takes is you to remove a clog and rush the defenseless thing. But they just watch. Or when you rush an enemy hive totally undefended and hope they will follow but they just stay behind and watch. And this is without a stat system. Marine lives are cheap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    worse, they don't follow you into the hive, they start hacking away at the nearest cyst with a switch axe.

Sigh.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    edited December 2012
    Cant recall how many games have been lost because some couple of idiots play scared preserving their K/D on your team like its call of duty instead of RTS-FPS hybrid.

K/D is an important part of this game, using "K/D" as a representation skill in the sense that you need to be able to kill enemies to take areas of the map, but equally if not more important in this game is teamwork and cooperation towards securing resources so that everybody can benefit and gain the advantage to win, some 21/4 powerhouse marine that just sits in a corridor camping skulks does absolutely nothing towards advancing the victory for the marine side, some 4/11 guy that runs into the enemy bases with some teammates over and over to take down a hive, or atleast tries to kill the harvesters early game and or upgrades is the game winning truly skilled marine who understands what the point of the ######ing game is.

For Aliens, preserving Onos and Fade is a different story, as those lifeforms are a big investment and should not be lost unless pushing for something important
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    I do what any other Veteran player does:

I sit back and bait my team. I make frequent trips to the hive/armory. I pad that KDR as much as possible. I push when it is crucial and with the team. I stay alive as long as possible to make use of the existing (albeit bad) Pres system. I am also the guy that maintains positions and relays pertinent information to the Com/Kham.

If I am a Marine, I am building base structures, spending Pres on mines, defending our RTs, and frequently phasing through to our forward bases and keeping everything welded.

If I am Alien, I am guarding our forward harvesters that are at risk of going down. I am relaying Marine positions to the Kham. I am ambushing unaware Marines before they can actually pose a threat, and I also Gorge quite frequently because it is a thankless job that I actually enjoy.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    If the developers want to encourage death, take away its tactical penalties. That simple.

I will try to stay alive as long as I know it means I'm closer to getting an Onos / Exosuit.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    The first man in is pretty much a death sentence. This is true as Marines, and as Skulks. Although to be honest, the Marine probably has a greater chance to survive the encounter if his team are decent shots and he concentrates on dodging.

The first guy in should drop his guns and run like a gang banger in the hood. Every skulk in the room is likely to attempt to swarm that 'clueless n00b'.

Then the other two or three guys crouched in a doorway light the lone hero up like a Christmas tree in Texas.

Does it work every time? Of course not. Is it awesome when it does? Oh yes!

(Oh, and don't forget to grab your gun when you're done. If you're alive.)
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2049636:date=Dec 22 2012, 05:06 AM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Dec 22 2012, 05:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The first man in is pretty much a death sentence. This is true as Marines, and as Skulks. Although to be honest, the Marine probably has a greater chance to survive the encounter if his team are decent shots and he concentrates on dodging.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to disagree with this.

As aliens, the first person in has the most impact on the ensuing conflict, in my opinion. What most people fail to identify is a marine player's utter contempt for switching targets mid fight. Whether its conscious or sub conscious, very few players have the presence of mind to stop attacking an enemy that currently poses no threat, and start attacking a more pressing target. What the first person entering the room should do in order to take advantage of this is to "turn" any marines who have formed a firing line. Essentially this just involves turning the marines around, so that they are no longer watching an entrance. Fades do this best, and it is extremely effective for getting Onos through that small entrance in the initial push, but groups of skulks benefit amazingly from it if a single skulk commences the attack 5 or 6 seconds before the main group. If you attempt to actually attack the marines it is far more likely that you will be killed. If you instead maximise your speed and run right past them (even if there's no exit behind them, just get to behind them) then the rest of the skulks can get in and clean them up.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    I agree a thousand times with Imbalanxd.

Nothing saddens me more than to have charged through a group of enemies, managed to survive long enough to get ALL of their attention focused away from the entrance only to die and see my teammates picking their noses around the corner.
  • KazelKazel Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175939Members
    As alien:
    3skulks v 3marines
    First guy in leaps past the waiting marines.
    Marines will almost always focus on that first guy, meaning they turn around to shoot at him.
    That first skulk just jumps around like a 12 year old who has just discovered red bull.
    The other two come in and nom from behind.

I find that just yelling "FOR FRODO" before entering a room seems to work.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Well, in many cases, the fear to rush in has a valid place. Lose the engagement, lose the territory. The problem arises when both groups are afraid to lose to the other. This can be compounded by the groups not wanting to lose an advantageous position. Marine's tend to become campy when they have long sight lines. Likewise for aliens, especially skulks, when the map offers good cover. The marines don't want to charge the corner and be eaten and the aliens don't want to get shot up in the hallway.

Many people have stated various solutions to this problem already. If were to present the most succinct answer I could, it would be thus:

<a href="http://youtu.be/LkCNJRfSZBU?t=1m20s" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/LkCNJRfSZBU?t=1m20s</a>