Looking To Sell a NS2 Server

0xDECAFBAD0xDECAFBAD Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170467Members
I currently own a server that is hosted at Waveform Technology's datacenter in Troy, Michigan. It has 16gb of RAM and 2 x 2.5ghz quad core Intel Xeon processors. It gets great ping times through the whole US. I run my own NS2 server on it, Warren's Alien Invasion. I recently bought a condo and now have to make mortgage payments etc. I'm looking to sell a NS2 server to help offset the $50/month I pay for co-location hosting. My NS2 server is 16 slots and it runs pretty well considering the clock rate of the CPU. The tickrate does bounce around a tad when it is full, but it is usually not noticeable. The machine would probably handle a 14 slot server even better, and a 12 slot server without a sweat. I'm still figuring out the logistics of how I want to give control to the game server. I would either implement a locked down local user account, and set you up with with remote desktop and FTP, or program a simple web control panel (stop, start, restart) + FTP access. NS2 already comes with a web control panel that allows for changing maps, kicking players, running rcon commands. Shoot me a PM if you are interested :)

Comments

• 0xDECAFBAD0xDECAFBAD Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170467Members
    No one wants a server :( How about 12 slots for $20, 14 slots for $25, 16 slots for $30? Can't beat that :) Plus i'll throw in my cell phone number for text/phone support, drunk dials, listening to your problems, etc. etc.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Probably because 2.5Ghz is pretty ###### for NS2
    Ya that is true. The server does bounce a bit between 20-30 tick when it's full. I was hoping to at least get someone who wanted to rent a smaller server. 12-14 players should run well. The processor runs NS2 really well for only being 2.5ghz. Maybe it's the 12mb of cache?
    If anyone is semi-interested in renting an NS2 server, I'll set you up with 2 weeks for free. Then if you want to keep it we can set up some sort of payment schedule, or you can just walk away without spending a penny.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    Seems like a scam. And, plus you are just a middle man it is just wise if someone needs a server to just go through Waveform Technology's datacenter and skip the middle man. Just cause you give us your cell phone what makes us believe you will hold your end to the bargain? I rather go through the place that rents it and skip the middleman all together.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2048789:date=Dec 20 2012, 11:17 PM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Dec 20 2012, 11:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems like a scam. And, plus you are just a middle man it is just wise if someone needs a server to just go through Waveform Technology's datacenter and skip the middle man. Just cause you give us your cell phone what makes us believe you will hold your end to the bargain? I rather go through the place that rents it and skip the middleman all together.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just because you say it's a scam doesn't mean it is.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048807:date=Dec 20 2012, 02:44 PM:name=Zaggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zaggy @ Dec 20 2012, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just because you say it's a scam doesn't mean it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Doesn't mean it isn't.

He's not wrong with his concerns, though I do believe this is legit.

Also, as pointed out I'd rather just put the money I'd put towards a server on one with better hardware.

All that being said, best of luck in your sale! Already have server access, myself.