Can I run Natural Selection 2?

Jman117Jman117 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154698Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Really want this...</div>I'm concerned about my processor. I've wanted this game since the beta, but I was waiting for some sort of demo to come out so I could test it's performance. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any type of demo available.

The listed CPU requirement is "Core 2 Duo 2.6 ghz". I have an "Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz 2.33 GHz". While the GHz isn't quite up to snuff, do you think I could still run the game? I've got more than sufficient RAM and a solid GPU. I'm wondering if the fact that my process is a Quad would make up for the fact that the GHz are less. I'm not exactly skilled when it comes to hardware, so if somebody could let me know if I could run the game, I would be very appreciative.

Comments

• Badass_BenBadass_Ben Join Date: 2012-11-23 Member: 173017Members
    There is a thing called "can my pc run it" or something like that and it should give you a general sense of where you stand in terms of performance vs demand. Im not an expert, but I think you should be fine
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited December 2012
    Q6600 which is overclocked to 3.2ghz, it's 2.4ghz stock.
    I get 60-70 early game
    50-30 mid game
    down to 20 late game

That's with 18 players.
    24 player servers? don't even bother. This game needs at least 60-80 before you are able to play without framerate issues effecting you. Even with the best CPU out there on stock clocks you won't be able to keep above 60 late game, at the current state of performance optimization. At least it doesn't spike as much during large fight anymore. When I first got into beta I had an average framerate of 5fps with only me in a server, so it's safe to say that the game is at least getting somewhere.
  • Badass_BenBadass_Ben Join Date: 2012-11-23 Member: 173017Members
    to the above ^
    my pc is a quad processor with some number of ghz i dont know off the top of my head and a 550ti graphics card, 3.5gb ram. I get 40 fps, and i dont see any lag or framerate issues in game, even in the middle of a exo/flamethrower/gorge/24 player fight
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited December 2012
    You must have one of the current gen CPUs then, the graphics card doesn't really matter. I made a pretty large greyboxed map that I get 200fps on max settings in, and my waiting for GPU still does not go above 0, and it's only a GTX460 on stock settings.
  • InficiusInficius Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174193Members
    My computer has an Intel Q6600, Radeon HD 6870 1GB, and 2GB of RAM and runs the game on lower settings, 1920x1080 and full AF. I hardly ever notice low FPS except for "last stands", when all players are in the same room.

Don't be scared of low settings. The game still looks great and the performance is fine.
  • Jman117Jman117 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154698Members
    edited December 2012
    I tried that "Can I run it website" (that's a great resource, thanks for pointing it out) and it says I should have no problem running the game...Although I doubt that. ;) Maybe if it goes on sale I'll grab it (less risk that way ;) ). I've wanted this game since the start.

Any chance we'll see a demo coming out for this? Even if it's timed for 30 minutes or something it would be a great resource.
  • blzdblzd Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149806Members
    To be honest performance right now is a mixed bag. Everyone can agree it's below what's expected, and the minimum and recommended requirements stated by UWE are, for the most part, a joke.

That being said, I love the game and UWE has steadily improved the performance and game play to a satisfactory level.

If you want a well running game however, maybe wait a few months after more patching.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Yes you can run the game, it will be in a playable state, however don't expect to be satisfactory in your playing ability such that you'd be able to compete. You'll be down around 10 FPS in heavy action (if not slightly worse).
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    edited December 2012
    For the low price of the game compared to most others in this genre, it's certainly worth you getting. You're going to be spending time learning the game at any rate before you attempt to enter the competition scene which gives the devs more time to work out optimization in the meantime, and you're going to have a ton of fun with it either way. And that's even *if* you have performance problems severe enough to inhibit your enjoyment, I sure don't. I've played since NS1 and this game has never truly gotten old with me. I can't say that about any other game, ever.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2048237:date=Dec 19 2012, 11:56 PM:name=Jman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jman117 @ Dec 19 2012, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048237"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm concerned about my processor. I've wanted this game since the beta, but I was waiting for some sort of demo to come out so I could test it's performance. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any type of demo available.

The listed CPU requirement is "Core 2 Duo 2.6 ghz". I have an "Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz 2.33 GHz". While the GHz isn't quite up to snuff, do you think I could still run the game? I've got more than sufficient RAM and a solid GPU. I'm wondering if the fact that my process is a Quad would make up for the fact that the GHz are less. I'm not exactly skilled when it comes to hardware, so if somebody could let me know if I could run the game, I would be very appreciative.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Post your full specs please, looking at the Tech Support forums, performance varies a lot per system.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    the performance on machines is almost random. so my 2 cent is that unless you try it out on a free weekend, dun buy it.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2012
    2.3ghz? I wouldn't even try. Waiting for a free weekend might be a good idea. Altho the game is only 20 gems, you can just buy it and if it doesn't run well, let it lie and come back in a year or so when you've upgraded your PC. Considering NS1 ran for 10yrs I'm sure NS2 will still be around.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe you should check if you are able to OC that CPU? When I played the game on my old Q6600 overclocking it to 3+ ghz made a ton of difference.

But having something like an demo/benchmark would be kinda awesome to tweak performance/settings and give people a clue how well it's gonna run on their systems prior to buying the game.
    Just went on a 60% sale on steam :D

I guess I might as well try it now then ;)
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    *counting down until "omg why did i wait to buy this" post*
    Woah- It runs fantastic. I did not expect that at all O.o

Anyways I realize now there's no reason I should have waited this long. At least I got it on sale ;)

Thanks for the advice everybody.