Cyst Spam tactic

statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Fix please</div>I'm not sure if this is really prevalent in pubs yet but I've seen it a couple times as well as all the time now in competitive play and in my opinion it should be nerfed. Not necessarily because its overpowered but because it results in bad game play and exacerbates performance problems.

We have had the discussion many times about why ns2 is not supposed to be players vs buildings and this is exactly that scenario except worse then its ever been in ns2. I don't have any fun combating a persistent alien commander cyst spamming the ###### out of my location and if you get there after the cysts have matured thats even worse.

Beyond this, if an alien commander has successfully done this to a couple of areas on the map, say goodbye to performance for anyone who only has boarder line computers, that many cysts on the map really hurts.

I would suggest a hard cap of cysts allowed to be in range of another cyst or maybe a hard cap of cysts allowed to be built in the same spot in 1 minute or something like that.

Again I'm not suggesting this tactic is OP and of course you CAN stop it, but is it making game play better or worse? I would say definitely worse.

I suspect some people are going to respond by saying that at least its something for the alien commander to do, but I don't think its worth it to slightly improve the alien commander experience by messing up everyone elses.

Comments

• goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    cut the harverters, without res he can't spam cysts
  • PhOeNiX4PhOeNiX4 Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30912Members
    I 100% agree. It makes game play & performance worse for sure.
  • t0fut0fu Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170615Members
    I have seen this in pubs as well. However, I do not feel it needs to be nerfed.

If used properly, it is very effective. If the alien comm can tie up/distract marines killing cysts along with preventing them from building - it allows aliens more time to expand and harass other areas.

While I personally HATE it when it is used against me, it is a valid tactic. Much like the early skulk harassment in the opening game, cysting into the marine base/expansions is effective during the mid/end game.

However, this can be countered by simply being aware of your surroundings and killing the baby cysts immediately. Of course on pubs, many players simply ignore cysts coming into the base/expansion.

As far as having a limit on cysts because they affect the server performance - if it gets to that point, marines have most likely lost already and it's time to recycle/F4.
    If the alien comm has enough res to be spamming cysts like that, they most likely have a res advantage.

One nerf I would like to see is unconnected cysts take damage more quickly. Either through the time it takes for them to take damage or the damage from marines. I feel that fully grown unconnected cysts should take about 1/2 or 2/3 the time to take down as fully grown connected ones.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    Not that I've ever really had a problem with lots of cysts in an area I can see why you'd suggest its a problem. Maybe a room / area cap on cysts might be something that could be done I mean any room with more than say 15 cysts in it is a little excessive

<!--quoteo(post=2048074:date=Dec 19 2012, 03:57 PM:name=t0fu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0fu @ Dec 19 2012, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One nerf I would like to see is unconnected cysts take damage more quickly. Either through the time it takes for them to take damage or the damage from marines. I feel that fully grown unconnected cysts should take about 1/2 or 2/3 the time to take down as fully grown connected ones.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oddly I have suggested this before as it seems like cutting a cyst chain doesn't have nearly the same impact as a power node going down. I mean sure its harmful but its what 1 second for the alien com to repair it and barely anything takes damage in that time
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The best solution is to make the cysts cloaked by default and have very little HP. It makes them much less boring to kill, it fixes the multiplication of targets that destroys marine group coherence at low level (everybody running around and axing cysts) and makes killing cysts a more deliberated strategy, as it require scan.
  • PodPod Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5745Members
    Someone needs to define what "cyst spamming" is. I have no idea what you're talking about. I can guess, but I don't feel like being wrong.
    <!--quoteo(post=2048079:date=Dec 19 2012, 04:08 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Dec 19 2012, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The best solution is to make the cysts cloaked by default and have very little HP. It makes them much less boring to kill, it fixes the multiplication of targets that destroys marine group coherence at low level (everybody running around and axing cysts) and makes killing cysts a more deliberated strategy, as it require scan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not more cloaks please. Cysts already get the advantage over power nodes of variable positions and easier to replace. Cloaking them with only scan to uncloak them would cause a real headache
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048082:date=Dec 19 2012, 04:11 PM:name=Pod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pod @ Dec 19 2012, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Someone needs to define what "cyst spamming" is. I have no idea what you're talking about. I can guess, but I don't feel like being wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I assume it means throwing down lots of cysts in an area to secure it with infestation. If a marine-owned or contested room is left empty for 20 seconds you can fill the room, and cysts gain HP over time so it can take a very long time to clear them out.
  • hongkongfufuhongkongfufu Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172760Members
    Just buy a welder to burn this
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048085:date=Dec 19 2012, 05:15 PM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 19 2012, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048085"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not more cloaks please. Cysts already get the advantage over power nodes of variable positions and easier to replace. Cloaking them with only scan to uncloak them would cause a real headache<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, having low hp make them easy to kill. It make everything more clear and cure headaches by structuring the game around "cyst killing moments" and "non-cyst killing moments" that would help public play (not having people stopping at each cysts when pushing somewhere). For power nodes: <a href="http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125921&view=findpost&p=2046691" target="_blank">http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index....t&p=2046691</a>

I'm not pulling this out of my ass btw, it was tested during the beta and it works better than the current implementation.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    There should be some sort of cap for performance reasons(or just fix the performance problems of course). Balance-wise though it's not a problem, cysts are too expensive to be throwing away like that.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    i used this tactic a couple of time,too.
    prevented marines from setting up a base and they wasted ammo on the cysts.
    and than my aliens attacked.
    no base set up and they were reloading or had only half a mag.

just keep pressing that A button with a nutrien mist here and there.

but it costs alot...so no nerf needed.
  • Frosty the PyroFrosty the Pyro Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172703Members
    edited December 2012
    walk up the chain 2 or 3 systs and snap it there. you can kill a brand new cycst VERY fast with very few bullets (or ax swings), esentialy faster than they can be placed. As the cyst has ben broken the alien com cant place new ones down the line, so the only place he can put them is right were the one you just killed was, and the other marines can clean up down the chain easily then.
  • bHackbHack Join Date: 2010-03-23 Member: 71059Members
    edited December 2012
    It's all known issue, I already tried to bring up some discussion on this by opening a thread but not much happened. Gameplay wise it's understandable tactic - you block the ground with the infestation in key rooms, so that marines can't build PG or other structures before clearing it out. Also you can block RT spots, etc.
    However, the major drawback is performance....

In my topic Ironhorse just commented saying:
    <!--quoteo(post=2031881:date=Nov 22 2012, 05:02 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Nov 22 2012, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cysts have always killed performance for a long time..
    Its a known issue but unfortunately theres no quick fix.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, having around 300+ cysts on map will crash the server.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I would say just increase (or create?) the minimum range between cysts, this will have the effect of providing a hard cap and will reduce cyst spam.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    flamethrowers clear out that in a jiffy.
    <!--quoteo(post=2048130:date=Dec 19 2012, 06:10 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Dec 19 2012, 06:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->flamethrowers clear out that in a jiffy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    very true one lick of flame and the cyst is dead
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    This issue was actually already addressed. I guess people remember that cysts didn't always have a cooldown and the khaam could spam them like crazy. But a resurgence of it is present as players are becoming more acquainted with the game. It is quite lame, but it can be dealt with easily. The marines just need to remember to kill the correct linking cyst, because as you remember, young cysts die in half a clip, maybe even less.
    Nevertheless, it is a very annoying and cheap tactic. Yet on the other hand, marines have a couple of those too (see arcs and etc.), so it's interesting to see where this will go.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You can keep constant cyst spam with 3 alien rts. This can be used to block of rt cappers easily by using mist at the same time to give them the extra hp they need. If you manage to get few cysts up and running the marines will need at least 3 players to clear it out while the alien commander keeps spamming. This however does slow down the alien res flow a lot and if marine do their usual pressure runs effectively they can prevent this.

This does not change the fact though its really frustrating to know that its impossible for you to cap rts on the map or in some locations because the aliens are spamming cysts.
    One thing to note is that after aliens get 2ndhive,leap,bilebomb,blink and 2 chambers they don't really need anymore tres, the rest of the tres is expendable. That extra res will end up in cyst/crag/hive spams or egg drops.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Just make new cysts die with like 1 rifle shot at w0. After like 5 seconds they could go back to normal. Would fix pretty much entire problem imo. Cyst spamming is a really cheap way to destroy a lot of marine mines for very little effort and high reward.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    Doesn't the flamethrower hard counter any attempt by the alien comm to cyst spam? It's also rather ridiculous to cite performance issues as an argument for cyst spam. Marines have medpack/ammo/nano from above while aliens have cysts to act as bullet magnets...seems fair to me.

Don't forget that you can always build a forward sentry (just one will suffice) to keep any and all cysts at bay. If alien comm is going to spend tres to troll an area, then you better be prepared to spend tres to counter it. There's no excuse as you can build the sentries on creep.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2048203:date=Dec 19 2012, 04:21 PM:name=PimpToad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PimpToad @ Dec 19 2012, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doesn't the flamethrower hard counter any attempt by the alien comm to cyst spam? It's also rather ridiculous to cite performance issues as an argument for cyst spam. Marines have medpack/ammo/nano from above while aliens have cysts to act as bullet magnets...seems fair to me.

Don't forget that you can always build a forward sentry (just one will suffice) to keep any and all cysts at bay. If alien comm is going to spend tres to troll an area, then you better be prepared to spend tres to counter it. There's no excuse as you can build the sentries on creep.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If aliens managed to force marines to use res in turrets or flamethrower in these situations they will get a huge advantage since it means less pressure on their own rts. But this is more of a issue in competitive games than public, a small one but still a frustrating one.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    I liked the idea TS pitched, a limit of cysts within a cysts circle if you understand, the only reason you would need more than 3 or so cysts connected to the same cyst is to spam cysts. Should be a reasonable change.
  • SchleppySchleppy Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155181Members
    Cant be bothered to spend 5 res for a welder, lets patch the game!
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    Cysts are a supply chain, and most complaints about them seem to come from players who don't understand that.

Did the enemy commander spam 20 cysts inside your marine-controlled hive location? Travel a short distance outside that room in the direction of their hive and kill 1 or 2 cysts and you'll have broken the entire group of them, which will either result in 20 wasted rez for the aliens or more than 20 wasted rez if they spam them where you're camping (and 2-shotting cysts as they pop up with your pistol.)

The only change which I think makes sense for cysts is increasing cooldown length in lower population games. Lower population games reduce marine construction capabilities, but not alien construction capabilities, which is one of several balance problems impacting rounds which are 6v6 and smaller. Increasing the cooldown of cysts in smaller games would be a good step towards better balance (and a tweak to build times would probably also be worth looking into.)
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    The problem is, if the khammander manages to get to get the rines move up the cyst chain and axe cysts, his the other aliens have an easy time to get close and personal to them.
    Take a look at this:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125442" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125442</a>
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's like creep spam in SC2, not much risk at all in the mid-late game. Dunno how to solve it though :S
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048142:date=Dec 19 2012, 12:50 PM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 19 2012, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->very true one lick of flame and the cyst is dead<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly this.

I've had one JP/Flamethrower marine repeatedly clear out most of the cysts on one side of the map then phase to the other side and do the same.

Really threw the team off balance with just one guy doing it. He got killed a time or two, but was able to retrieve his flamethrower with a JP pretty quick. He was good, don't get me wrong, but it isn't hard to do this even with low amounts of skill. Just don't over extend before you switch area's.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    Just like to +1 the Flamethrower suggestion. You can literally click once on a cyst with a FT and it will burn ALL of its health away. I see so many people just sitting there pounding away at a cyst with flames but a Jetpacker left alone with a Flamethrower can clear half a map in under 2 minutes.

But i'm assuming if they are cyst spamming into your main base the game is already lost by then.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Seems people alrdy strayed from an important note; Preformance.