Gorge Primary Attack

turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Practically broken</div><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Quick credential rundown to prove some kind credibility, even if it's slight. I've played competitive FPS's <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(each of which including projectiles)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> and have friends who played NS at high levels, among other FPS's, that have come to the same conclusion.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

I don't know if it's due to poor hitreg or a minuscule hitbox on the projectile, but Gorge's primary attack does not seem to do anything unless the person is standing still. I have been point blank attacking a person, but fail to receive <i>any</i> damage numbers! I understand that the projectile to begin with is slow, but when it's literally point blank as in I could stick my tongue out and lick his ######, I should be getting hits. I even tried to slightly lead when point blank to no avail.

Perhaps i'm just retarded and doing this completely wrong, but I don't see how. thanks doods.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    Yep, I agree with this completely and it is probably quite visible what is wrong here. I think it has to do with the animation and the actual spitball not representing the true location.

It becomes painfully obvious when you stand right next to a structure or stationary marine and shoot at them. It takes about half a second for it to register... As a matter of fact, reporting this one right now as it is not on the list of bugs!
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    You can aim at, say, a power node and use the acid spit, and something like 20% of the spits don't register any damage and do nothing.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    So it isn't just me.... thank god...
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010367:date=Nov 4 2012, 06:53 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 4 2012, 06:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep, I agree with this completely and it is probably quite visible what is wrong here. I think it has to do with the animation and the actual spitball not representing the true location.

It becomes painfully obvious when you stand right next to a structure or stationary marine and shoot at them. It takes about half a second for it to register... As a matter of fact, reporting this one right now as it is not on the list of bugs!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Erk :S Explains alot.

I tend to use alien vision so don't really notice. I just spray and prey at marines. If they get close I get kills, otherwise... no.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's has been reported among some other things. Well they were reported already, but are now video-fied as well
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAUB0uujeiU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAUB0uujeiU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <div align='center'><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUB0uujeiU" target="_blank">#120 [NS2PT-B228]Kouji San: Gorge spit speed and hitdetection are weird - Natural Selection 2</a></div>
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Well, we've had a response from Kouji already, several builds later (18days), but where's the fix? It really is painful having to completely guess the lead on the projectile.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    On the bottom of the to-do list
  • bHackbHack Join Date: 2010-03-23 Member: 71059Members
    +parasite has the same issue.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    Agrees, the gorge would be a pretty viable attack unit if his spit wasn't so unpredictable.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    Good to know I'm not the only one. Had a marine running down a hall away from me not knowing i was standing behind me. Started attacked and... nothing... was the most bazaar thing, tried aiming up a bit, down a bit... he was a perfect easy target and nothing hit.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I noticed the exact same thing, but I thought I was just horrible (which I kind of am.) I jump in glee and dance when I actually kill a marine.
    <!--quoteo(post=2010504:date=Nov 4 2012, 07:53 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 4 2012, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's has been reported among some other things. Well they were reported already, but are now video-fied as well
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAUB0uujeiU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAUB0uujeiU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <div align='center'><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUB0uujeiU" target="_blank">#120 [NS2PT-B228]Kouji San: Gorge spit speed and hitdetection are weird - Natural Selection 2</a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

erg.... explains why I cannot hit marines that are in melee range. My spit goes through them!

Spit does some amazing damage, compared to NS1, but its so bad at hit reg.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032884:date=Nov 23 2012, 06:23 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 23 2012, 06:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032884"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spit does some amazing damage, compared to NS1, but its so bad at hit reg.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually figure it would be nerfed if it was fixed to land right. Think there would be massive crying if gorges started killing more often.

As far as killing marines that are close, i'd go for your healing mist and jumping around them like a mad food. Works pretty well for me, even got a couple marines complaining about gorges after they died. This is basically garenteed to get you a kill if they are the silly sorts that try to hatchet gorges, just gotta keep a lil distance.
    <!--quoteo(post=2032924:date=Nov 23 2012, 10:09 AM:name=LilbitHeartless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LilbitHeartless @ Nov 23 2012, 10:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually figure it would be nerfed if it was fixed to land right. Think there would be massive crying if gorges started killing more often.

As far as killing marines that are close, i'd go for your healing mist and jumping around them like a mad food. Works pretty well for me, even got a couple marines complaining about gorges after they died. This is basically garenteed to get you a kill if they are the silly sorts that try to hatchet gorges, just gotta keep a lil distance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I use healing mist usually, sometimes tho I spit but clearly thats a waste of time.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    Gorges are pretty defenseless. Heal mist and welder kills are not the best first line of attack.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    I hope I'm not raising a zombie thread from the grave, but has this been addressed yet? I play gorge a decent amount, and this would explain my frustration with spit feeling completely useless in any serious combat situation.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    I knew Gorge spit was useless, but having it miss every few shots when both the player and target are stationary is just plain strange. I was attributing my issues to latency or FPS, but obviously that wasn't the case.

Thanks for the Video Kouji!
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    It's bugs like this that need immediate attention. I read somewhere that gorge spit is supposed to be 'hitscan' (maybe this was misinformation), though certainly doesn't seem to work like this, and is practically useless against targets that aren't completely stationary, and have also repeatedly missed with it at point-blank range.

Whilst balance changes might be easy to implement, the fact that build after build known issues that this aren't addressed isn't very good at all. For example, the bug that causes celerity and camouflage to not activate while bilebomb is still doing damage (rather than have the timer start after you shoot instead of after damage stops), as well as hydras cancelling celerity and camo. I can't imagine that bugs like this are super-hard to fix (although I guess that only the devs themselves know how difficult these issues are to solve), and at this point it just feels like they're being completely ignored.

Sure there's only enough manpower to address so many things at once, but so many issues like gorge spit have been known for quite some time now and just put off completely, whilst things that shouldn't take precedence (e.g. new features and balance changes) continue to get attention. Bugs should be priority number one. Whilst performance certainly needs to improve, even that shouldn't take priority when there are glaring bugs like this just left ignored.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    What I imagine that could be happening here is some difference between the locally simulated projectile and the projectile on the server.
    When shooting, the player might be telling the server to spawn a projectile now. But instead of waiting for a response from the server, a projectile gets spawned locally already to be simulated clientside, while the projectile on the server will have to wait for the latency delay before it starts moving there.

At some point will they probably want to sneak a timestamp into the remote function call so the client or server can tell when exactly the projectile was started on the respective other side of the network and then incorporate the time difference into the distance that the projectile starts (though that would probably cause those issues where you can't hit marines in melee range, so "starting" would have to imply that the projectile doesn't just teleport to it's forwarded starting position but just gets speeded up regularly so it still has a chance to hit stuff in between. Or perform a line trace between the default starting location and the calculated one.)
  • CsaeCsae Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172145Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047487:date=Dec 18 2012, 02:18 AM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Dec 18 2012, 02:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's bugs like this that need immediate attention. I read somewhere that gorge spit is supposed to be 'hitscan' (maybe this was misinformation), though certainly doesn't seem to work like this, and is practically useless against targets that aren't completely stationary, and have also repeatedly missed with it at point-blank range.

Whilst balance changes might be easy to implement, the fact that build after build known issues that this aren't addressed isn't very good at all. For example, the bug that causes celerity and camouflage to not activate while bilebomb is still doing damage (rather than have the timer start after you shoot instead of after damage stops), as well as hydras cancelling celerity and camo. I can't imagine that bugs like this are super-hard to fix (although I guess that only the devs themselves know how difficult these issues are to solve), and at this point it just feels like they're being completely ignored.

Sure there's only enough manpower to address so many things at once, but so many issues like gorge spit have been known for quite some time now and just put off completely, whilst things that shouldn't take precedence (e.g. new features and balance changes) continue to get attention. Bugs should be priority number one. Whilst performance certainly needs to improve, even that shouldn't take priority when there are glaring bugs like this just left ignored.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with you but i happen to think that a certain minimum amount of performance would help squash some bugs and having ######ty performance makes it impossible to play regardless of bugs.
    <!--quoteo(post=2047530:date=Dec 18 2012, 04:52 AM:name=Csae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Csae @ Dec 18 2012, 04:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with you but i happen to think that a certain minimum amount of performance would help squash some bugs and having ######ty performance makes it impossible to play regardless of bugs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tend to agree, but Gorge Spit is currently unusable. The video shows a stationary gorge and a stationary target with 20 something ping. Some of his shots miss for no reason that I could see. I don't know about making spit hitscan, since it isn't currently, but anything would be an improvement over how it works now.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047530:date=Dec 18 2012, 05:52 AM:name=Csae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Csae @ Dec 18 2012, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with you but i happen to think that a certain minimum amount of performance would help squash some bugs and having ######ty performance makes it impossible to play regardless of bugs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good point actually. Performance shouldn't be put on the backburner for bugs, as it's a huge problem rendering many people unable to play. Though bugs shouldn't be neglected either.

<!--quoteo(post=2047731:date=Dec 18 2012, 04:47 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Dec 18 2012, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tend to agree, but Gorge Spit is currently unusable. The video shows a stationary gorge and a stationary target with 20 something ping. Some of his shots miss for no reason that I could see. I don't know about making spit hitscan, since it isn't currently, but anything would be an improvement over how it works now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wasn't suggesting it should be made hitscan. But it's been mentioned on the forums (though it could very well be wrong) that it already works this way, when it clearly doesn't. Gorge spit shouldn't be hitscan, and if the assertion that it is hitscan is correct it should be changed (even though it certainly doesn't seem to work like this, could be part of the problem). I think it was actually Kouji-San (again, I could be wrong) that I heard this from, so I figured it wasn't just some random sh1ttalking.
    <!--quoteo(post=2047754:date=Dec 18 2012, 05:14 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Dec 18 2012, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wasn't suggesting it should be made hitscan. But it's been mentioned on the forums (though it could very well be wrong) that it already works this way, when it clearly doesn't. Gorge spit shouldn't be hitscan, and if the assertion that it is hitscan is correct it should be changed (even though it certainly doesn't seem to work like this, could be part of the problem). I think it was actually Kouji-San (again, I could be wrong) that I heard this from, so I figured it wasn't just some random sh1ttalking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah. It's definitely not hit scan as it stands. You can see the projectile move, slowly. Although it's very possible the projectile you 'see' has nothing to do with hitting the target. I'm not sure which possibility is worse, honestly. I totally agree with you, doesn't really matter which it is it just needs to be tweaked. At the very least, everyone seems to agree it isn't working well no matter how it's implemented at the moment.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    I know this doesn't fix the issue, but personally I found that turning alien vision off helps with properly aiming the spit attack.