Editor update: Some things to watch out for

SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Hi folks,
Steve here! I've been working on the editor the past couple of weeks and adding new stuff, and we just pushed it out via Steam. But with new features comes new bugs :) So I just wanted to warn you guys about a known bug: If you use the Select Tool, and then the Edit->Weld Selected Vertices tool to merge two faces together (by merging both ends of two edges), and then delete that shared edge, bad things may happen when you try to Undo. So before doing that, make sure you save a backup!

Anyway, check out the 233 blog post for a list of all new editor features: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/</a>

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2043247:date=Dec 11 2012, 01:45 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 11 2012, 01:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Brofist!</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Get in line.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited December 2012
    Nice update, "<i>Ctrl + double click</i>", thanks for this, it's simple improvements like that which help speed things up, cinematic and sound preview is awesome, here's a few issues/improvements i think it could use...

<ul><li>Geometry still doesn't snap to grid very well, if things are made on grid why don't they stay on grid?</li><li>Textures should be able to lock to geometry for when we move it around.</li><li>Cinematic preview check box like mute sound.</li><li>Four viewports cause a serious performance drop, i stopped use them a long time ago.</li><li>Viewports aren't viewing from normal angles, moving an object one way shows the opposite way in other viewports.</li></ul>

I was wondering if the editor engine now gets updated with the game?

Edit: Only been mapping for a while now and i've experience a bug, when i deleted a simple box it left behind some vertex which when i tried to delete froze the editor, well i could still select things but the cinematics froze and i couldn't move around.

Oh and i almost forgot the biggest bug thats been giving me trouble, almost every time i build a minimap it's missing a lot of large geometry, mostly on the alien side stuff isn't showing, devs can test using my map as it happens all the time now, really needs fixing.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2043527:date=Dec 11 2012, 03:58 AM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Dec 11 2012, 03:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043527"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice update, "<i>Ctrl + double click</i>", thanks for this, it's simple improvements like that which help speed things up, cinematic and sound preview is awesome, here's a few issues/improvements i think it could use...

<ul><li>Geometry still doesn't snap to grid very well, if things are made on grid why don't they stay on grid?</li><li>Textures should be able to lock to geometry for when we move it around.</li><li>Cinematic preview check box like mute sound.</li><li>Four viewports cause a serious performance drop, i stopped use them a long time ago.</li><li>Viewports aren't viewing from normal angles, moving an object one way shows the opposite way in other viewports.</li></ul>

I was wondering if the editor engine now gets updated with the game?

Edit: Only been mapping for a while now and i've experience a bug, when i deleted a simple box it left behind some vertex which when i tried to delete froze the editor, well i could still select things but the cinematics froze and i couldn't move around.

Oh and i almost forgot the biggest bug thats been giving me trouble, almost every time i build a minimap it's missing a lot of large geometry, mostly on the alien side stuff isn't showing, devs can test using my map as it happens all the time now, really needs fixing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

- Could you expannd on the grid snap issue? A video would help.
    - Texture lock is there - when the move tool is active, look on the status bar for a lock icon and click it to activate.
    - Good ideas for cinematics.
    - We'll look into view port perf.

And as for the bug, I'm looking into it now. Really basic thing that should work - sorry bout that :)
  • jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
    hmm. I seem to be crashing when I grab a few faces and cntr+c cntrl+v everytime.
  • NazulNazul Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9052Members
    edited December 2012
    cool :) I got some little thingies as wel.. ^^

- When rotating a texture, when the mouse reaches the side of the screen please let it continue on other side of screen so we can keep rotating
    - A Texture align to the bottom edge of a face, that would be so helpfull! <b>( edit: Align to edge!! )</b>

Oh and sometime it just crashes at random, but that's okay ;)
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2043837:date=Dec 11 2012, 10:39 PM:name=Nazul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nazul @ Dec 11 2012, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- A Texture align to the bottom edge of a face, that would be so helpfull!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I may be misunderstanding you, but there are options to align a texture to the top, bottom, left, right and center of a face, and to fit the texture to the entire face, in the Texture Mapping window.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2043797:date=Dec 11 2012, 12:12 PM:name=jstoia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstoia @ Dec 11 2012, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hmm. I seem to be crashing when I grab a few faces and cntr+c cntrl+v everytime.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Argh sorry bout that. Fixing now - I should be able to release a binary outside of another steam release.
    <!--quoteo(post=2043797:date=Dec 11 2012, 12:12 PM:name=jstoia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstoia @ Dec 11 2012, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hmm. I seem to be crashing when I grab a few faces and cntr+c cntrl+v everytime.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually could you send me your level file and repro steps? I can't get this to happen for me. steve@unknownworlds.com
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2043689:date=Dec 11 2012, 05:56 PM:name=SteveRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveRock @ Dec 11 2012, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Texture lock is there - when the move tool is active, look on the status bar for a lock icon and click it to activate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think he's referring to the moments when we are moving complex geometry around with texture lock on, it usually results in textures that become miss aligned along with the geometry going off the grid.
  • NazulNazul Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9052Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043846:date=Dec 11 2012, 03:44 PM:name=Flaterectomy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flaterectomy @ Dec 11 2012, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I may be misunderstanding you, but there are options to align a texture to the top, bottom, left, right and center of a face, and to fit the texture to the entire face, in the Texture Mapping window.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I editted that sentence maybe 3 times so I left out the best part :D I meant when the face or that 1 bottom edge or even a rotated "floor" face, is rotated,
    like so :)
    ___
    | |
    | /
    |/
    So that it would align to that rotated edge, <b>THERE IT IS! Align to edge! </b>Yes please! :)
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043527:date=Dec 11 2012, 06:58 AM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Dec 11 2012, 06:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043527"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[*]Geometry still doesn't snap to grid very well, if things are made on grid why don't they stay on grid?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Possibly because the grid is in "inches" and the vertex coordinates are stored in the level file as as "meters". Coordinates are also floating point.

To convert meters into inches you divide by 0.0254. This is not a nice, round number(i.e. 1 meter is 39.37007874 inches). During scaling or moving(vertices have higher precision near the origin because of floating point!) you may end up with a cancelation error and lengths may become funny, like 63.999999619.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    First of all, thanks for improving the editor! :D

Three questions concerning the update:

- I was happy to see that the texture tool should save the last used texture so we can pick up work from where we left the tool. Is that correct? Because everytime I
    select a face, the list jumps to the very first texture on the top. That is massively annoying ;)

- Is there a way to disable the cinematic preview? They are not shown fluently on my rig, so I would rather turn them on only for a quick check.

- I have a room with around five sounds with small range, but only one of them is played in the editor. They are exactly the same -> is that a bug or am I doing things
    wrong?
    <!--quoteo(post=2044679:date=Dec 12 2012, 03:16 PM:name=[AwE]Sentinel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([AwE]Sentinel @ Dec 12 2012, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    First of all, thanks for improving the editor! :D

Three questions concerning the update:

- I was happy to see that the texture tool should save the last used texture so we can pick up work from where we left the tool. Is that correct? Because everytime I
    select a face, the list jumps to the very first texture on the top. That is massively annoying ;)

- Is there a way to disable the cinematic preview? They are not shown fluently on my rig, so I would rather turn them on only for a quick check.

- I have a room with around five sounds with small range, but only one of them is played in the editor. They are exactly the same -> is that a bug or am I doing things
    wrong?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think those are fine ideas. I can't guarantee I'll get to them soon, since we may need more hands on performance on the next patch, but they're in my list.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I too would like to thank you for the updates to the editor.
    The new cinematic preview and the weld vertices are my favorites :) But I too agree a option to turn off cinematic preview would be good.

Just a thought too add to your list of editor upgrades if in the props option box ( where one can select if the prop is collible and such )
    If there were an option too select the prop to have occlusion culling properties. Would be great option for improving maps performance. In particular on the larger props that really block ones vision like the large crates or the reactor etc etc.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2012
    Very good job steve, I'm looking forward to more updates.

Personally, I'm a bit too short on time to 'struggle' with the editor. The biggest gripe I have, is the grid problem described by Magneto. They've been there for a long time and are well known by the mappers (ask mendasp, fmpone, Dux etc.).

Once that's resolved, mapping will become much easier for nitpickers such as myself. I simply can't bare seeing vertices and lines offgrid. It tickles my neurotic bone. :p (FYI, I don't suffer from neuroticism, but I would say I'm a perfectionist in some ways.)

I understand performance might need everyone capable at UWE to chip in. Lets hope that gets resolved to acceptable levels soon, so y'all can start working on fun stuff like features in the game and tools. :)
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited December 2012
    It might not quite be your area but is there any chance we can get some new groups to solve a few game play problems, like <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125716" target="_blank">NoGorgeBuild and NonStick</a> for skulks?

There's also this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112299&hl=editor" target="_blank">editor request list</a>, it might be a bit old but im sure there's still a few things in there, oh and here's what i meant about the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120815" target="_blank">odd viewport setup</a>.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Like mentioned in the editor request list that Magneto linked to, I'd love to see some improvements to the layers such as drag-and-drop functionality, layer grouping / layer folders, etc... If layers in Spark were to function like layers do in Photoshop, then I'd be a very happy camper.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    edited December 2012
    I don't know if this is just me but in an older map I was working on, after loading it with the new patch I can no longer Undo/Redo anything. It's simply greyed out no matter how many actions I make.

ED: Nevermind.. fixed itself. Not sure what caused that bug.
    Yeh sorry about these bugs - next patch should be much more robust and faster as well.
    <!--quoteo(post=2045812:date=Dec 14 2012, 08:38 PM:name=SteveRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveRock @ Dec 14 2012, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeh sorry about these bugs - next patch should be much more robust and faster as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Take your time, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say we are damn happy that the editor is finally getting the attention it needs.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045812:date=Dec 15 2012, 07:38 AM:name=SteveRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveRock @ Dec 15 2012, 07:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeh sorry about these bugs - next patch should be much more robust and faster as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just posting to let you know it happened again, this time on a fresh map. My belief if that it's something to do with either ctrl-clicking or ctrl-doubleclicking to select entire sections, at least both times it happened that's what I seemed to be doing. Suddenly it just wouldn't let me Undo or Redo until I restarted the editor.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Positive:

- The texture list doesn't jump back to start anymore when I select a face! yey~

- If I move big groups with texture lock on, it doesn't take ages to actually move (poor cpu). It is extremely faster for me now :D This will save at least one day of my
    lifetime ^^
    edited December 2012
    Hmm the Editor is really nonusable right now, when using rotate or move tool my objects travel at insane speed like 14.000 unit away or they spin like carousel. When selecting objects even with all filters on, it only says 1 object is selected.

EDIT: These thing occured aster using undo first time, after that undo doesnt work anymore

Also models from cinematic files appear on different location of the map when hidden in the layer
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Just saying that I love the new features. Starting to feel like a map editor :)
    <!--quoteo(post=2046186:date=Dec 15 2012, 05:52 AM:name=Rudy.cz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudy.cz @ Dec 15 2012, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm the Editor is really nonusable right now, when using rotate or move tool my objects travel at insane speed like 14.000 unit away or they spin like carousel. When selecting objects even with all filters on, it only says 1 object is selected.

EDIT: These thing occured aster using undo first time, after that undo doesnt work anymore

Also models from cinematic files appear on different location of the map when hidden in the layer<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah sorry about that. Undo may wreak havoc right now, depending on what you undo. Next build should be much more stable - I fixed a lot of things. Next patch should be around this week (we'll try our best!)
    No need for apologies, sorry if I have sounded harsh :(. I have found out that most of the problems occur after using extrude tool. Undo stops working and deleting of vertexes and edges gets bugged. It is necessary to save and restart editor.

Hope it helps.
  • hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    Not sure if this is the place to put it, but the new transform settings window seems to continuously pop up after I exit it and switch between tools. Dunno if it's just me.