Natural Selection 2 News Update - State of the Game

Comments

• ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2047502:date=Dec 18 2012, 10:19 AM:name=Yotopia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yotopia @ Dec 18 2012, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My girlfriend always says only women can do/think two things at the moment :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, but those two are always the same... :p
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2047497:date=Dec 18 2012, 09:12 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 18 2012, 09:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's possible to do two things at the same time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tell that to Uber Entertainment after they got their 2 million Kickstarter for Planetary Annihilation

"This won't effect Super MNC in any way. The team working on PA will be a completely different than the one that is currently working on SMNC"
    -> Few weeks later the weekly massive content patches for SMNC have dropped down to one update that may or may not add a new set of cosmetics to the store. And the devs who have been keeping regular contact with the community haven't posted stuff in weeks. Not even a simple "sorry guys, no update this week. but we are working on something" like before.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still love this game so much and cant wait for new content, have a fantastic xmas break you've earned it.
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    Thank you guys. Always nice to hear and see how your work goes on..

Oh and release the new content as "DLC" (free of course) as it is used to today by a lot of softwarehouses. This way i think you can go back to the steam homepage (actual borderlands dlc is on the mainpage..) and everyone owning ns2 will get the steam news popup with the "new content for your game is available".

Don't know if you have to pay for this, but sure it could help getting new (and old not playing) players to the game
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    Merry xmas UWE, you did a good job so far with the game.
    Hoping for more improvements in the future.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Thanks for you passionate work on this game. I hope you will get some well deserved rest on your holidays.

Despite all moaning and whining here on the forums, NS2 is an awesome game, nearly as good as NS1 which for me is the best game Ive ever played.
  • gekszgeksz Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67581Members
    So when will we see the weldable doors?
    Will the numerous consoles around the maps get some functionality?

Does the Kharaa really need phase gate sort of thing? They are already fast enough imho...

Otherwise Merry Xmas, and keep up the good work guys!:)
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    It's the second or maybe third time I've seen UWE mention other projects. At the very least, let that project be an addon for NS2 with new game modes and lots of maps, lifeforms, weapons. Or possibly a singleplayer expansion? Or an RTS only NS game with AI units? I feel the NS world is largely undiscovered and I'm eager for more. :) Anyway, good job on the patching and Happy Holidays!

<!--quoteo(post=2047356:date=Dec 18 2012, 01:58 AM:name=SjN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SjN @ Dec 18 2012, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am still waiting to at least find out what the BUS was!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The BUcket System as seen on ns_refinery.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047371:date=Dec 17 2012, 09:46 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Dec 17 2012, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Starting work on something else?
    That's hardly supporting an existing product is it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah... they are going to start working on 3 new games as 2013 comes around...

sigh, some people...
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047518:date=Dec 18 2012, 06:14 AM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Dec 18 2012, 06:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tell that to Uber Entertainment after they got their 2 million Kickstarter for Planetary Annihilation

"This won't effect Super MNC in any way. The team working on PA will be a completely different than the one that is currently working on SMNC"
    -> Few weeks later the weekly massive content patches for SMNC have dropped down to one update that may or may not add a new set of cosmetics to the store. And the devs who have been keeping regular contact with the community haven't posted stuff in weeks. Not even a simple "sorry guys, no update this week. but we are working on something" like before.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Im sorry, but you are all making assumptions. something else may very well mean some new feature, not a new game.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Personally, I'd like to see UWE work on a small android and iphone app. An NS2 minigame. Like a tower defense or something. It wouldn't take long to make and I'm willing to bet it'd be loads of fun. And it'd produce quite a bit of pocket change if its truly a good game AND it would spread the word around for the full game of NS2. And because a phone app game like a tower defense is easy to make and quick to make, relative to a full title like NS2, they can still just as easily maintain the high quality patches that we've consistently seen from them.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047590:date=Dec 18 2012, 08:30 AM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Dec 18 2012, 08:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im sorry, but you are all making assumptions. something else may very well mean some new feature, not a new game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

Keep up the good work UWE, this is the only multiplayer game worth playing right now!
    <!--quoteo(post=2047590:date=Dec 18 2012, 02:30 PM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Dec 18 2012, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im sorry, but you are all making assumptions. something else may very well mean some new feature, not a new game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was solely responding to SixtyWattMan's comment, which was taking hus's assumption as confirmed. All out of context from my personal point of view.
    I am not making any assumptions, I was just pointing out in general what other developers managed to pull off in the past already and that you shouldn't take ongoing support of a game for granted.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2047321:date=Dec 17 2012, 06:51 PM:name=HAPPYCAT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HAPPYCAT @ Dec 17 2012, 06:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->January Patch:

First Person Spectator
    Descent (map)
    Exo Rail Gun
    ??? (looks cross out, already done?)
    Comm UI Upgrade
    Gorge Babblers + Tunnels
    Decals
    New Stats

Very exciting!!!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its says "server browser favorite" I cant read the last word
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    OS X version please ;)

Merry Xmas!
    <!--quoteo(post=2047657:date=Dec 18 2012, 06:40 PM:name=killer monkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killer monkey @ Dec 18 2012, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its says "server browser favorite" I cant read the last word<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably a separate tab that only lists the favourited servers and refreshes them independently of master server queries.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047518:date=Dec 18 2012, 05:14 AM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Dec 18 2012, 05:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tell that to Uber Entertainment after they got their 2 million Kickstarter for Planetary Annihilation

-> Few weeks later the weekly massive content patches for SMNC have dropped down to one update that may or may not add a new set of cosmetics to the store. And the devs who have been keeping regular contact with the community haven't posted stuff in weeks. Not even a simple "sorry guys, no update this week. but we are working on something" like before.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good thing we aren't dealing with Uber then because they also abandoned the original Monday Night Combat which I loved. Look at HiRez, they are scrambling to patch Tribes Ascend to fix their reputation after going from game to game and not supporting past releases. Abandoning Global Agenda for Tribes then Tribes for Smite completely trashed their reputation. Luckily they realized they ######ed up and Tribes is getting some serious love. Either that or they realized that Smite sucks and their financial future lies with Tribes Ascend and Global Agenda 2.

There are only two developers I trust to not ###### me over, UWE and CD Projekt Red. I know the forums are a place for people to come and spam constant vitriol but it gets tired after a while.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047730:date=Dec 18 2012, 03:43 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 18 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047730"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good thing we aren't dealing with Uber then because they also abandoned the original Monday Night Combat which I loved. Look at HiRez, they are scrambling to patch Tribes Ascend to fix their reputation after going from game to game and not supporting past releases. Abandoning Global Agenda for Tribes then Tribes for Smite completely trashed their reputation. Luckily they realized they ######ed up and Tribes is getting some serious love. Either that or they realized that Smite sucks and their financial future lies with Tribes Ascend and Global Agenda 2.

There are only two developers I trust to not ###### me over, UWE and CD Projekt Red. I know the forums are a place for people to come and spam constant vitriol but it gets tired after a while.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, HiRez makes ok remakes of other past games then fails utterly to support them.

Global Agenda was a weird blend of TF2, Tribes, and a MMO. Fun, but not for long.

Then Tribes, which I played the Beta and quickly realized it was neat but not worth their pay model. The fact you could 'buy' things in the in game store during the Beta was ludicrous, and I must admit I quit playing very quickly once I realized it was a 'pay to win' game format.

UWE is doing well so far. I don't agree with everything they do, but it isn't <i>my</i> game and I'm still here. When considering the plethora of things they <i>could</i> have done to screw us, they're freakin' Saints.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047734:date=Dec 18 2012, 04:56 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Dec 18 2012, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, HiRez makes ok remakes of other past games then fails utterly to support them.

Global Agenda was a weird blend of TF2, Tribes, and a MMO. Fun, but not for long.

Then Tribes, which I played the Beta and quickly realized it was neat but not worth their pay model. The fact you could 'buy' things in the in game store during the Beta was ludicrous, and I must admit I quit playing very quickly once I realized it was a 'pay to win' game format.

UWE is doing well so far. I don't agree with everything they do, but it isn't <i>my</i> game and I'm still here. When considering the plethora of things they <i>could</i> have done to screw us, they're freakin' Saints.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's obvious you didn't really play Global Agenda or Tribes Ascend very much at all. You don't know ###### about either.
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    No new life forms????????? :(
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, Hi-Rez did a full 180 on their care about Tribes and now even report almost daily to the community about every little thing they are going to take care of or worked on that day: <a href="http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=345&sid=b4585d2b41b57fee3817abb117552f8a" target="_blank">http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewfo...817abb117552f8a</a>

Suddenly they seem like saints compared to their previous attitude.

As for myself, the only guys I'd trust blindly are Coffee Stain Studios and Epic Games.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2047741:date=Dec 18 2012, 04:30 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 18 2012, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's obvious you didn't really play Global Agenda or Tribes Ascend very much at all. You don't know ###### about either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No he's pretty spot on. At least with GA... Hi-Rez ran that into the ground with sheer idiocy.
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047741:date=Dec 19 2012, 09:30 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 19 2012, 09:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's obvious you didn't really play Global Agenda or Tribes Ascend very much at all. You don't know ###### about either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HiRez lost me when they launched Global Agenda without any AU timeslots for battles for map control (cant remember the name of that game mode)
    I could cope without local servers and suffer the 200ping but denying an entire region one of the main 'selling' features was ignorant at best. I think they adjusted this down the track but you'll never claw back numbers post-launch if you treat your target audience like ###### to begin with.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Enjoy your time off, UWE, you guys deserve it!

Also can we expect gorge merchandise for next year?
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047714:date=Dec 18 2012, 04:01 PM:name=ikir)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ikir @ Dec 18 2012, 04:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OS X version please ;)

Merry Xmas!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would have roasted you over a fire 2 years ago. Damn Microsoft and their penchant copying Apple.

Linux version plx!
  • Karma.AUKarma.AU Join Date: 2012-04-02 Member: 149842Members
    I can only speak for the Australian region but you've got about 3 months to arrest the decline in player base before the aussie competitive scene is completely dead.

A lack of gorge tunnels / rail guns is not holding NS2 back, if I were you I'd be putting all your resources into improving performance (so more people with average computers can hit 60 frames in combat), hitbox registration / interp issues, and releasing additional (balanced) maps.

Please don't take this for sour grapes - I'm happy that I pre-ordered & think you've done outstandingly well for such a small team, I'm just calling it as I see it.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047741:date=Dec 19 2012, 12:30 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 19 2012, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's obvious you didn't really play Global Agenda or Tribes Ascend very much at all. You don't know ###### about either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He said Tribes was pay to win, so I think he knows basically all their is to know about that game.
  • piedriverpiedriver Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69695Members
    I (+others) wanted to see gorges wearing Santa hats! hehe they'd be soo cute =)

keep up the good work :)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    To anyone concerned about some offhand comments regarding future UWE projects -- don't be. No one at the office is currently working on anything other then NS2 related fixes and additions. There's some thinking about what we might want to do beyond NS2, because frankly it both makes sense as a company to branch out to other projects, and it keeps things more interesting for us as developers. No one signed on to work on NS2 forever. But NS2 is our baby and we will be continuing to help it mature and grow for a long time to come.

--Cory
    <!--quoteo(post=2047912:date=Dec 18 2012, 11:54 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Dec 18 2012, 11:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He said Tribes was pay to win, so I think he knows basically all their is to know about that game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You must also be bad at Tribes.