VERY on-the-fence about this game.

2»

Comments

• StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited December 2012
    If you're the type worrying about this then maybe don't bother.

Most people hop between their favourite 2/3 near-full servers and wait for a spot if they are full. So explain to me why you need more than 200-300 (to cover servers for other regions) active players?
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047521:date=Dec 18 2012, 05:25 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Dec 18 2012, 05:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To the OP: If you are the type of person who only likes to run with the herd - to play the most popular game and listen to the most popular music and stick to what everyone else approves of, then NS2 probably isn't for you.

If, on the other hand, you seek out that which is more challenging but much more rewarding in life, then buy this game. As others have said, the community is stable and there will be servers for a very long time to come. NS1 survived for years past its peak and was a very enjoyable and rewarding community to be a part of.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Run with the herd? Are you going all hipster on video game selection? That's just flat out silly. Plus, it's insulting. Liking NS2 doesn't make you superior or any less part of any herd than liking COD. Relax a bit on the fanboyism.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    People need to stop this 'the game is dying' rubbish. It's not and it won't be for a very long time, that is unless UWE stops working on it several months from now.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047337:date=Dec 18 2012, 01:18 AM:name=Tinker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tinker @ Dec 18 2012, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played Dystopia for years with a playerbase at any given moment of about 90-150. Alot of other mods I've played had the same playerbase.

OP does not understand what a small playerbase is. Also in a game this intricate and with so much to learn you have smaller base because many people will bounce off of the complexity and go play something else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, I used played Dystopia, and there was, when I played, a very limited amount of players compared to HL2DM, CS etc. But I have never considered it a small playerbase. It has an enough of number and that is, to me, satisfactory. The current number of players in NS2 is confusingly huge in comparison.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2047665:date=Dec 18 2012, 05:58 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Dec 18 2012, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...that is unless UWE stops working on it several months from now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The two could be closely related, it could be considered a very inefficient use of time continuing development on a game which has so few players.

In the end there is still great potential in NS2 if the host of frustrating gameplay elements can be removed/fixed and higher player counts will attract/encourage more modding. This is something we would all benefit from so I hope UWE can manage it.
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047308:date=Dec 18 2012, 12:19 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Dec 18 2012, 12:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->people enjoy saying lots of positive things about this game, and love to ignore all the bad things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sorry, have we been reading the same forums?

@OP: I don't know about the statistics but here in the EU most weeknights the problem is that all the good servers are full rather than not having enough players.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Speaking of Dystopia, it's coming back! Also notice the honorable shout-out to NS2. ;)

<a href="http://www.punyhumangames.com/?news=22121" target="_blank">http://www.punyhumangames.com/?news=22121</a>
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    I'd wait till Jan with the next content patch update. Performance and balance seem to be pressing issues right now so maybe in a month, things will be a bit better. Simply put, I can't play the game right now without dropping below 20fps in engagements with everything on low yet a couple of patches ago, I was swimming in near ultra with consistent fps.

Despite these drawbacks, getting a game of equally skilled teams that communicate a lot on a good map with no cheesy rushes then this game becomes one of the most intense, fulfilling and enjoyable gaming experiences ever...there really is nothing like it and it's beautiful when things come together, epic is an understatement. Even losing in this games is a non-issue because you aren't playing for stats or k/d, you're playing for your team.
  • nailertnnailertn Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172301Members
    Wait for a demo or open weekend.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047772:date=Dec 18 2012, 04:51 PM:name=lwf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lwf @ Dec 18 2012, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of Dystopia, it's coming back! Also notice the honorable shout-out to NS2. ;)

<a href="http://www.punyhumangames.com/?news=22121" target="_blank">http://www.punyhumangames.com/?news=22121</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I ... loved Dystopia.

I played Dystopia under Colt for year/s as well, on the WNx servers and others.

Such a great mod... reminiscent of the old Quake/UT gameplay.

/reminisce
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2047279:date=Dec 17 2012, 02:03 PM:name=DTsoy7)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DTsoy7 @ Dec 17 2012, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm extremely on the fence about this game. The problem is that I don't have much money but I would definitely buy NS2 if it weren't for ONE issue...

Why is the player count so freakin' low? There are at MOST 2,000 people playing at once. From an outsider's point of view, the game certainly looks like it's dying...

Of course I can't judge because I haven't actually played it. What do you guys think? Does it feel like it's dying or is the community small but stable?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, sadly I'm really worried about NS2's player count also.

It's looking as dead as the game I used to play 2 years ago..

<a href="http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=4920q56400&from=1299477600000&to=End+Time" target="_blank">http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=gra...amp;to=End+Time</a>
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047656:date=Dec 18 2012, 12:33 PM:name=bongofish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bongofish @ Dec 18 2012, 12:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Run with the herd? Are you going all hipster on video game selection? That's just flat out silly. Plus, it's insulting. Liking NS2 doesn't make you superior or any less part of any herd than liking COD. Relax a bit on the fanboyism.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, liking NS2 certainly does make you superior to CoD players.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2047996:date=Dec 19 2012, 01:05 PM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stardog @ Dec 19 2012, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, liking NS2 certainly does make you superior to CoD players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

actually, liking NS2 makes you a generally better person by at least 47,83 %
  • ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can put it another way: NS2 is the dog´s bollocks.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    2000 <i>continuous</i> players is quite large. You have to multiply that by at least 10 to get the number of active players. I only play for a few hours a week, but consider myself an active fan of NS2. As long as the game is interesting to me (which is helped by ~weekly updates), I'm sure I will be playing it for years -- and inviting my friends to do so as well.
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you want bunny hopping, flinch headshots, and sniper rifles, go play many of the cods and other shooters out there. There is a small group of dedicated players who wants a fps with a lot more depth. At the same time I dont want my life to be absorbed like wow. I have many friends that I play games with dont care for NS. It is all about what you are looking for. If you want a game with a lot of depth that has a avg round time under half an hour than this might be for you
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048132:date=Dec 19 2012, 01:16 PM:name=Solarity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solarity @ Dec 19 2012, 01:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a small group of dedicated players who wants a fps with a lot more depth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what game are they playing? i wanna try it
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048132:date=Dec 19 2012, 12:16 PM:name=Solarity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solarity @ Dec 19 2012, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want bunny hopping, flinch headshots, and sniper rifles, go play many of the cods and other shooters out there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

can you please show me which cod game has bunnyhopping
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2047656:date=Dec 18 2012, 07:33 PM:name=bongofish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bongofish @ Dec 18 2012, 07:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Run with the herd? Are you going all hipster on video game selection? That's just flat out silly. Plus, it's insulting. Liking NS2 doesn't make you superior or any less part of any herd than liking COD. Relax a bit on the fanboyism.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WrjwaqZfjIY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WrjwaqZfjIY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

I know it sounds unfair, but yes, enjoying science makes you a better person than enjoying reality-tv does. It's just not politically correct to say it out loud. Thankfully, we're typing.

So, you're wrong. Wroooooooong. Wrooooooooooooooooooooooooong!
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    Wow, this thread is getting massively jacked by Dystopia players. I feel like we are all the same community/type of playerbase that would play Dystopia in the first place. Hell, afte I left the competitive scene in NS1 and shortly after HL2/Source came out (Dystopia was one of the first total conversions for Source), I immediately jumped ship and started playing the hell out of that game. What an amazingly fun game and I absolutely loved the cyberspace concept.

OP: If you have a solid machine, get the game. You will not be disappointed.

Otherwise, wait for a free weekend/friend's account to try it before you buy.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2048206:date=Dec 19 2012, 10:29 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Dec 19 2012, 10:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know it sounds unfair, but yes, enjoying science makes you a better person than enjoying reality-tv does. It's just not politically correct to say it out loud. Thankfully, we're typing.

So, you're wrong. Wroooooooong. Wrooooooooooooooooooooooooong!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LoL very good ^^.

I like it.
  • blzdblzd Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149806Members
    I think I can speak for a lot of people with mid range systems (or anything that's not an uber rig) when I say many of us are waiting for a more playable performance.

Turning all the settings to their minimum and still getting crippling lag in big fire fights is tough to deal with. The game is lots of fun and I still hop in servers every other day or so as a dedicated fan, but I can imagine many will give up/shelf the game till a future patch/never.