Skulk ability - grapple

B0KB0K Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175116Members
edited December 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Did a few searches but without a lot of digging, this may have been suggested already!

How about a new skulk ability where if you are within a foot of a marine, you can cling to his body (the back seems logical). He would need teammates to shoot you off.

edit: after some constructive criticism, the suggestion is specifically that the player would have to use leap and hit the crouch key on contact with the marine for the grapple to work. the timing window allows fine-tuning to require the correct amount of skill.

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    has been suggested many times before, and is still any awesome idea if you ask me :)
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    It has, and it is a great idea!

As long as it doesn't do damage but hinders Marines like a slow or root effect. Although a Marine running around screaming 'shoot this dog on my back' would be worth it all by itself, even if I died every time I tried it.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It's a terrible idea because it takes away a players ability to defend themselves against the base alien unit.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    L4D is already a terrible game, please don't bring it into this one.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    The problem with this would be that if it did damage it would be a 90% win situation for the Skulk when 1v1. If it incapacitates or hinders movement, it would add to the already present rage factor with control taken away (Onos Stomp comes to mind :P)

and yes this has been suggested a few times before, don't worry as it isn't your fault. The forum search is seriously lacking. However you might want to bookmark the advanced search as that one does get result :) <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=&act=Search&mode=adv&f=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....ode=adv&f=0</a>
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->90% win situation for the Skulk when 1v1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It will not. I think it's a great idea. If marines are loners and a skulk get on his back an set his teeth in it the marine takes little dmg a second and need a teammate to shoot it off his back. The skulk can choose to leave his back or to stay when the marine get almost in base. THe marine will have time enough to seek a buddy.

You have 3 advantages:
    *Players who are aliens and are bad in it, can choose this solution to win from a good playing marine who choose to go alone
    *Jetpackers can hold to the ground, giving other aliens the oppertunity to kill a jetpacker as skulk!
    *It's fun! Sometimes the game lacks fun... in NS1 we laughed about the Onos who eates marines
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    ... but it ISN'T fun for the marine.
    <!--quoteo(post=2046091:date=Dec 15 2012, 12:34 AM:name=Paniohitus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paniohitus @ Dec 15 2012, 12:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046091"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It will not. I think it's a great idea. If marines are loners and a skulk get on his back an set his teeth in it the marine takes little dmg a second and need a teammate to shoot it off his back. The skulk can choose to leave his back or to stay when the marine get almost in base. THe marine will have time enough to seek a buddy.

You have 3 advantages:
    *Players who are aliens and are bad in it, can choose this solution to win from a good playing marine who choose to go alone
    *Jetpackers can hold to the ground, giving other aliens the oppertunity to kill a jetpacker as skulk!
    *It's fun! Sometimes the game lacks fun... in NS1 we laughed about the Onos who eates marines<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No one liked getting devoured.

So an advantage is a player who is legitimately more skilled can lose an engagement against a player who is complete ###### compared to them? Sounds fair. Should we go ahead and distribute a copy of Harrison Bergeron with every copy of NS2 now?
  • Ellen RipleyEllen Ripley Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167803Members
    Oh yes, so much fun! Like being stomped by an Onos.

I'm being sarcastic.
  • ComboBreakerComboBreaker Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172856Members
    It is a bad idea.No need for that.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046247:date=Dec 15 2012, 06:43 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 15 2012, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one liked getting devoured.

So an advantage is a player who is legitimately more skilled can lose an engagement against a player who is complete ###### compared to them? Sounds fair. Should we go ahead and distribute a copy of Harrison Bergeron with every copy of NS2 now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, every good game is made that way. If a more skilled player slips up, there should be a way for a lesser skilled player to beat him. If that would not be possible in a game, it would be very boring.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046091:date=Dec 15 2012, 12:34 AM:name=Paniohitus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paniohitus @ Dec 15 2012, 12:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046091"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*Players who are aliens and are bad in it, can choose this solution to win from a good playing marine who choose to go alone<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> You have got to be joking..... Listen to yourself. If a bad player plays a good player, on otherwise equal footing (skulk vs marine), you want to give the bad player a crutch to be able to compete? You must live in a weird world with zero competition as everything is constantly balanced out for those who are less skilled, invested, fast, smart, agile, experienced, whatever.

Here's an idea. If you're a bad player and are dying to solo marines who are good.... get better.

<!--quoteo(post=2046091:date=Dec 15 2012, 12:34 AM:name=Paniohitus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paniohitus @ Dec 15 2012, 12:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046091"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*Jetpackers can hold to the ground, giving other aliens the oppertunity to kill a jetpacker as skulk!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> See my first point. A skulk can kill a jetpacker. Sure, it's not super easy, but it's certainly more than doable. If someone can't kill a jetpacker as a skulk, then... they can get better and keep trying.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited December 2012
    I'm not 100% sure on this idea because the implementation could make or break it. I would be fine with it if it wasn't an insta-kill or free kill mechanic. Maybe tie it to leap, so when you land a leap you automatically get a free bite. Giving new and unskilled players some padding and forgiveness when learning the game isn't inherently a bad thing, and it helps keep players coming back to the game, instead of raging after getting rolled by the dedicated and hardcore players. Good players would still have a huge advantage, but it would help new players feel like they're contributing, instead of just being continuous meat shields. This game does have a pretty steep learning curve, and I don't think it is a horrible idea to soften it a little, while keeping the overall skill level and rewards high for those who stick around and learn the whole game. They aren't mutually exclusive and both can be done. Give players easy to use skills with relatively mediocre pay off, while keeping more advanced skills and abilities hard to master with high payoffs.
    <!--quoteo(post=2046334:date=Dec 15 2012, 02:21 PM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Dec 15 2012, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, every good game is made that way. If a more skilled player slips up, there should be a way for a lesser skilled player to beat him. If that would not be possible in a game, it would be very boring.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So a lesser skilled player managing to get within melee distance before the more skilled player's aimbot manages to kill him equals a mistake worthy of the better player losing? Makes sense. Are you applying for the Handicapper General position this year?
    Champloo, stop with your false analogies and comparisons. Just because someone is making the legitimate point that the learning curve can be softened some, doesn't mean they're instantly calling for auto aim or insta-kill abilities. There are more complicated and nuanced positions in between that are worthy of a thorough discussion, so don't try to shut down a worthy conversation with logical fallacies.
    <!--quoteo(post=2046507:date=Dec 15 2012, 09:41 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ Dec 15 2012, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Champloo, stop with your false analogies and comparisons. Just because someone is making the legitimate point that the learning curve can be softened some, doesn't mean they're instantly calling for auto aim or insta-kill abilities. There are more complicated and nuanced positions in between that are worthy of a thorough discussion, so don't try to shut down a worthy conversation with logical fallacies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think you realize how astoundingly retarded this suggestion is. This game is about aliens getting in melee range to bite marines down to death or swipe or gore or whatever their life form ability is. But apparently I should listen to points about how we should let players who are worse win versus players who are better just because they got close enough to land 1 bite?

This is an atrocious suggestion that violates things that dev's have strived to achieve in their design for NS2, and what I believe, and most people who aren't morons believe is how NS2 should be. This should be in a joke suggestion board, downvoted to oblivion (but this forum software doesn't have that), I cannot believe that anyone can actually take this suggestion seriously.
    Champloo: I NO LIKE! YOU STOOPID!
  • B0KB0K Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175116Members
    two things:

anyone who suggests this wouldn't take skill isn't thinking things through imho. srsly guise.. srsly

also don't people think it would leverage the already awesome wall-walking code? I mean the code (must have been complicated) that makes the skulk model look like it is actually walking on the wall (or ceiling) instead of floating along next to it. the back of the target could be used as the skulk wall-walk target and reuse that cool code.

it's not about making a n00b powertool, it's about making marines cautious again later in the game.. and making them have to stay in groups.

and lastly.. just the idea of leaping at a jetpacker and clinging to him/her... man, it would be cool. (obviously would not require any skill.. obviously guise).

95% of people would never even try it since it's complicated, the other 5% (like me) would keep trying it and never manage it, and competitive people would put it down to an art <grin>.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2046247:date=Dec 15 2012, 12:43 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 15 2012, 12:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one liked getting devoured.

So an advantage is a player who is legitimately more skilled can lose an engagement against a player who is complete ###### compared to them? Sounds fair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

bit negative are we?

any idea sux if it's implemented wrong. instead of seeing the worst case scenario, think of how you would enjoy this in a game. if that's not possible, fine, tell us why. I don't think you did that dude!

I get the point. I don't want to be instakilled by someone playing for their first time and walking up to me under camouflage. ok, let's not do that! we agree Champlo0!

now think of the other side. you are a marine. you have all your upgrades. nice shotgun. you still want to check the ceilings and have someone with you and not just plow forward solo into room after room, because they have a second hive and you wouldn't want one of those things to drop on you.

would be hard to implement, might be really cool if done right, def needs discussion (not dis-ssing).

the idea (not only mine! cool!) spawned from thinking of what the skulk is and what would naturally happen in the hypothetical marine-alien encounter. if a dog attacks you, it's probably going to grab you once (the throat I would presume) and not let go. dog, lioness, whatnot.

so.. discussion.

only from behind +- x angle? 30deg?
    only against jetpack? (seems wrong)
    only with leap? (have to hit crouch key at moment of contact?)

or: not at all _because x, y_
    edited December 2012
    The mentality of this community to those who don't agree with them is very off putting, childish, and will be a detrimental to the game in the long run. I played NS1 since release and NS2 since beta, so I consider myself an invested and veteran player, but some of the stuff spewed by other "veteran players" towards those who are newer to the community and have different ideas is rather ugly, nasty, and immature. If you truly want this game to succeed, you need to be willing to listen to all the players, not only those who agree with you or consider worthy, and have a respectful and adult conversation with them, instead of just calling them n00bs or morons or unskilled or meaningless and then moving on.

And Champloo, you apparently didn't read my post. I never once mentioned I supported the idea. I even said I wasn't sure because of its ability to turn into an abusable mechanic if not properly implemented and recommended what I thought was a possible compromise. All I did was point out that softening the learning curve for new players and keeping a high skill ceiling for veteran players can both be accomplished and should be discussed fully before shouting the person down with ad hominen attacks. And what do you do in return, shout me down with ad hominem attacks. If you don't want this game to ever develop, bring in more players, and become a larger success than keep trying to shut down anyone who doesn't agree with your interpretation on the game.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    Currently skulks need to make several successful attacks to kill a marine. Being able to incapacitate a marine with a single blow seems pretty silly, especially for the alien's basic life form.
    <!--quoteo(post=2046919:date=Dec 16 2012, 09:26 PM:name=pendelum5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pendelum5 @ Dec 16 2012, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046919"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Currently skulks need to make several successful attacks to kill a marine. Being able to incapacitate a marine with a single blow seems pretty silly, especially for the alien's basic life form.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it would be silly, if it was cheap and easy. make it expensive and make it take skill.

?
    edited December 2012
    The marine would just be slowed down and he could still shoot the skulk, unless he was caught from behind. If the marine has a buddy around, the skulk would be a sitting duck. Edit: The skulk would also be seeing next to nothing while grabbing onto a marine - his jaws would have to be almost shut.
    As i stated in my thread about pretty much the same <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121605" target="_blank">suggestion</a>, the marine could fling around the skulk by turning/jumping. Imagine how hilarious that would look :D
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    edited December 2012
    If anything I'd probably see this as a possible replacement for camo, the way people complain about camo right now, there is no way they would be alright with some sort of grab on top of that, plus the combo might be a bit much. Or maybe if they brought back having a third choice.
    Think the main problem is the combination with higher lifeforms, something jumping on my back slowing me down while a lerk is diving me, or if a fade is blinking around me, or if I'm running after an onos... Sounds really not fun.

<!--quoteo(post=2046891:date=Dec 16 2012, 04:30 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ Dec 16 2012, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The mentality of this community to those who don't agree with them is very off putting, childish, and will be a detrimental to the game in the long run.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I noticed that too, not really sure what's up with that. If an idea is actually as bad as they think it is, then it's not going to get implemented anyways, so why be a ###### about it?
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    well how about the skulk has to crouch before hitting the marine after leaping but it has to be timed right the marine does not take any damage other then about 5-10 when the skulk lands on him and grapples jetpackers are stuck to the ground and only go up to about reg marine jump height and all marines are hindered and slowed, skulks can grapple exos and attack them but at a reduced damage about half? maybe 3/4 exos are extremely tough to kill without an onos and even then tough to kill