Marines loose more, so what?

DustmopDustmop Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174780Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Yeah i agree that marines probably loose more and some added balance might be nice but point is...

<b>This game is damn awesome, who cares?</b>

If marines lost so much more that nobody wanted to play them then I would agree there is a problem, but normally marines fill up before aliens.

Also when I win as a marine I find it more fun knowing I just won from a disadvantaged state.

Who ever said war was fair?

There are some hit reg problems that need to be cleaned up but for the most part I would be happy if the dev's just focused on giving us more and more.

The only thing better than NS2 would be if there was a Starcraft FPS with all the races / unit types MMO style.

Comments

• DustmopDustmop Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174780Members
    Dev's are probably used to only getting whinny, ######y posts about how things need to be improved or fixed and it can get exhausting as a dev.

So I wanted to make sure they know how much we appreciate them and their work.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045750:date=Dec 14 2012, 07:22 PM:name=Dustmop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dustmop @ Dec 14 2012, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also when I win as a marine I find it more fun knowing I just won from a disadvantaged state.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is so true, winning as alien kinda just feel expected now, but winning a game as marines always feels like a real accomplishment. I've started playing marines more now and only switching to aliens when I'm bored of repeatedly losing.
  • CHAMPCANDOITCHAMPCANDOIT Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175088Members
    Marines have to play fast and loose, why do you expect things to be any different?
  • OwiecPL1986OwiecPL1986 Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172755Members
    Why do you think marins lost more then alien? Any statistic?

If that's true In my opinion it's not because marins are more weakness. I think it's because marins need more cooperation with commander and others players. If the team is good and cooperate, they are really powerfull. Marins need good commander, then they are really strong. I am saing this from alien side, it's so hard when marin commander is really active, selling structure, give medpack, setup gates etc.

In oposite to alien, alien commander also have to be good but he is not so dependent from players because he can build structure without players.

I am playing much more on alien side but really i don't see my team win all the time.
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    Please...

What do you clicked and how:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125976&view=findpost&p=2045758" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2045758</a>
    In my experience I have won as aliens and have seen aliens win more often than marines, however this might not be globally true which is why I said "marines probably loose more" but the point is I dont mind.
    edited December 2012
    @Paniohitus
    Thats about 5 servers, please this is not good statistic. I can choose other 5 servers and marins will win.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2045770:date=Dec 14 2012, 08:54 PM:name=OwiecPL1986)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OwiecPL1986 @ Dec 14 2012, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Paniohitus
    Thats about 5 servers, please this is not good statistic. I can choose other 5 servers and marins will win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oke, then filter out al all combat servers out, you get your statistic, but that is not possible, because you don't know. I know that these servers i clicked are normal servers, and that there is 1 combat servers. So my numbers are always better then click out all 'known' combat-servers in name or custom-maps servers, and allot better then just click all servers. What was your point again?
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited December 2012
    build 234
    -marines now have Velcro shoes
    edited December 2012
    @Paniohitus
    My poin is: We don't have good date to conclusion and we can only talk about our subjective fillings, this is worth nothing :)

And still i think on marins side more depend on commander. If improve marins we can have situation when with average commander marins will lost 50% but with good commander will be unbeaten.

Edit:
    But i have to emphasize i don't have any good data to talk about that. It's only my subjective filling.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    I agree with the OP. We should never criticize or discuss problems within the game because it is, and I quote, "awesome."
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2045776:date=Dec 14 2012, 09:02 PM:name=OwiecPL1986)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OwiecPL1986 @ Dec 14 2012, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Paniohitus
    My poin is: We don't have good date to conclusion and we can only talk about our subjective fillings, this is worth nothing :)

And still i think on marins side more depend on commander. If improve marins we can have situation when with average commander marins will lost 50% but with good commander will be unbeaten.

Edit:
    But i have to emphasize i don't have any good data to talk about that. It's only my subjective filling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then this thread should not have the name: 'Marines loose more, so what', because that is a conclusion and we can't conclude that on the stats we are seeing. The topic should have the name: 'We think that marines loose more, so what?"

But it's a detail, think this discussion is interesting :)
    edited December 2012
    And one more:

<b>When i start playing NS2 i start on marins side because it was easier. Mayby this is the answer for our statistic? We should know what side choose new players.</b> Also additional importat data to conclusion. I am saying people have tendency to criticize and shout about something only for better filling, not because that's really true. If we want really know what is the true developers should do some research about that and make a decision. Otherwise people will scream and developers will do what they want but is it really what we want?

@Paniohitus
    Yes, it should in clear logic thinking but we are people.
    <!--quoteo(post=2045781:date=Dec 14 2012, 12:06 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 14 2012, 12:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with the OP. We should never criticize or discuss problems within the game because it is, and I quote, "awesome."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you misunderstand, I cited some issues saying it would be nice if they were fixed but the point of this thread is that I love this game and balance doesn't matter that much.

I want to recognize a great accomplishment in making this game and appreciate the devs and their continued work to make it even better.
  • senatesenate Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75023Members
    I just came to comment on your loose spelling of lose !!
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2045831:date=Dec 14 2012, 04:01 PM:name=senate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (senate @ Dec 14 2012, 04:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just came to comment on your loose spelling of lose !!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

mispeling is a meem
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045772:date=Dec 14 2012, 02:58 PM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Dec 14 2012, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->build 234
    -marines now have Velcro shoes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you should be a dev, youre on the right track
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2045766:date=Dec 14 2012, 04:51 PM:name=Paniohitus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paniohitus @ Dec 14 2012, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045766"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please...

What do you clicked and how:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125976&view=findpost&p=2045758" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2045758</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Please don't post your pollution in this thread. Your 'stats' are from 4 servers that only accounted for 21 games. That's hardly a proper sample. Please stop trolling.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    But Marines Lose is my favorite game!
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    An uninteresting game: <b>Choose your race</b> --> YOU WIN!

An interesting game: Choose your race --> <b>Hundreds of deep strategic, tactical, and twitch decisions</b> --> YOU WIN!

The game is fun in spite of weak balance, but will be much <i>much </i>more fun with strong balance.
  • WitchcraftTheEvertrollingWitchcraftTheEvertrolling Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175185Members
    Its not really surprising that aliens win more then marines. Marines require more coordination, while aliens can actually play rambo most time of the game. Its actually not a issue of balance, but of design. I enjoy playing marine more, its harder but more rewarding. Also you got way more strategical variety as a marine.

Its fine like it is right now.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    When this game comes down to close marine v alien games with tonnes of communication, they become some of the most epic gaming experiences ever. The problem is that this rarely happens and now that performance issues are creeping or should I say steamrolling their way in, I can't give this game an awesome rating atm even though I did a few weeks ago, I can't play the game until the next build fixes the FPS issues. I don't think I've never been able to play a shooter thanks to a patch update that isn't related to crashing or troubleshooting.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    marines often are much more loose than aliens.
    that is why they lose all the time.
    they just do not stick together and prance around in these loose formations =D

here is the evidence
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJL4Y3aGPuA" target="_blank">just don't</a>
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2045750:date=Dec 14 2012, 08:22 PM:name=Dustmop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dustmop @ Dec 14 2012, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who ever said war was fair?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You compare an entertainment product with the death of thousands of people? You really must be desperate for arguments.
  • evohunzevohunz Join Date: 2012-12-07 Member: 174448Members
    I really love this game, and try to support the devs merchandising it with my friends.
    I played for 43h now. My hour/week for this game is pretty high. I'm spending more time/week on it than I've spent on Battlefield 3 when I just bought it.

In the 35 first hours it was an enjoyable experience. I was learning more stuff game after game.
    I still have things to learn, but it's becoming a not-so-fun experience.
    When I enter a game, I see all new players begging to play as marine.
    I wait a little trying to join marine, but can't.
    Then I go alien, and win. Oh, that's fun! No it is not.

When I get a slot as a marine, I get crushed, because I'm an below average player, some guys of my team are newbies (not in the bad way), some are still learning the maps, so they get stuck on walls trying to enter elevator transfer because the full map view do not shows the walls as entrances to it. The commander can be a good one, but it does not matter. I try to help him building things, but can't win. :(

I wish to play marines so I can learn it better. But it is damn hard to learn when 99% of the people you meet on the marine side do not know how to play as a good marine. The other 1% gets the commander chair and become upset so quick that he will start throwing harsh words for the team.

Marines have a steep learning curve and aliens don't. The game will keep this strange balance issue while gamers that loves crushing the other team are in it and no one is willing to learn how to play as a proper marine.

So, to balance the game, the learning curve should be proportional. Aliens are too easy to play right now compared to marines.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Aliens are losing quite a bit now on Australian servers, I've noticed that the call of duty scrubs are now stacking aliens every game, this trend started about a week ago. I think they realise that aliens win a lot more so they think they can just jump on aliens, do the same sh!t they do on the marine side (run around TDM style to find kills while ignore all objectives/instructions) and get an easy carry. What I usually do nowadays is wait for those retards to join a team first, and then I join the opposite team, I don't care if the retards are stacked with the most pro players on the servers because having those retards on their team is like being down 2-3 people so they don't stand a chance.
  • runnerrunner Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173304Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045759:date=Dec 14 2012, 08:42 PM:name=Dustmop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dustmop @ Dec 14 2012, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dev's are probably used to only getting whinny, ######y posts about how things need to be improved or fixed and it can get exhausting as a dev.

So I wanted to make sure they know how much we appreciate them and their work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They're used to getting fanboy posts which aren't helpful, because they are saying that failing aspects are awesome. You're one of them.