Was NS2 ready for release?

runnerrunner Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173304Members
I see lots of threads looking at critiques getting locked by mods that seem to be a bit worried about how their game is being perceived but I'm going to ask the opinion of the masses anyway.

Was NS2 ready for release? Or was it still just far too early with all the problems it has?

Comments

• PhOeNiX4PhOeNiX4 Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30912Members
    I hate to say it, but I think to early.

Had 300 hours of fun with it in total but I'm getting really burnt out. Pub is terrible now & performance issues are making competitive games really stressful.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    only fanbois say yes.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    I thought UWE said they were releasing earlier than expected / planned due to financial reasons

there are still plenty of features to be added in that they planned before release or shortly after

the threads aren't being locked because the mods are trying to hide them, the ones that were locked were just flat out rude / troll posts that were unconstructive; there have been plenty of legitimate discussions on NS2 not being ready for release
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    waaaaaaaay to early
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    Still a better release, and more balanced, than most MMO's I've played at launch.

Hell, even the $40 bucks I spent on NS2 was cheaper.
  • runnerrunner Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173304Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045466:date=Dec 14 2012, 11:32 AM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Dec 14 2012, 11:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought UWE said they were releasing earlier than expected / planned due to financial reasons

there are still plenty of features to be added in that they planned before release or shortly after

the threads aren't being locked because the mods are trying to hide them, the ones that were locked were just flat out rude / troll posts that were unconstructive; there have been plenty of legitimate discussions on NS2 not being ready for release<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should have been around STO when it was released, the devs encouraged such posts to give them the motivation to fix it. I remember one dev who, I think did something with the engine graphics and such, making a very good troll post of his own to mimmick someone else, was the funniest thing I've seen. Best devs over at Cryptic, such community interaction, willingness to listen and openness I've ever seen. They threw the "professional face" we get on half-arsed replies to complaints from UWE.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2012
    I've seen games release in far worse condition, but I've seen better releases too obviously. Personally I'd say it may have been a few months too early, but then again, I've been thoroughly enjoying the game so far as well. It's not in great shape, but it's not abysmal too.

Most of the threads that are being locked are useless flamebait threads.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I guess it depends on what UWE needs from NS2. The game was apparently complete enough to get mostly decent reviews and sell quite a bit. Meanwhile it definitely could sustain a bigger player count for a longer while if it had a feature here and some polish there.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Most new games I played didn't feel ready for releases, but their huge development teams cleared that up in a couple patches, UWE will be taking longer.
    Also, why are we still going on about the release? The game IS released, can't go back to beta status, look forward people.
    If you have any suggestions to UWE about NS2, search for similar ones and comment or post here: <a href="http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=2055e8" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=2055e8</a>

**Topic closed**
This discussion has been closed.