Free to Play Weekend

Hurbivore7453Hurbivore7453 Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174825Members
Well if you can see from the title, I would suggest Unknown Worlds to have a free to play weekend on Steam. The reason for this is because Natural Selection 2 has a lot of potential, but does not have a big enough audience. Reasons why there should be a free to play weekend:
1.Not everybody has heard of this game
2. Some people do not wish to pay without trying first
3. Servers in Asia are slowly dying out due to lack of members
I believe that if there was to be a free to play weekend it will increase the number of people that know this game. More people are likely to purchase the game, therefore increasing amount of players playing, because at the moment most servers are empty (e.g Singapore servers). There could even be some discount on the game during the F2P period, so people are more likely to buy the game. I think that pretty much sums up why there should be a F2P weekend, if you agree with me, please tell me in the posts. Thank You!

Comments

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The game hasn't been out for even two months, yet you already want a free weekend while they are still squashing bugs and improving performance and thus the new-player-experience? No point getting a lot of people into the game at a point where it doesn't have the best retention rate. SMNC tried that four times already and always failed. You are just wasting chances by doing it.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2044344:date=Dec 12 2012, 01:04 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Dec 12 2012, 01:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game hasn't been out for even two months, yet you already want a free weekend while they are still squashing bugs and improving performance and thus the new-player-experience? No point getting a lot of people into the game at a point where it doesn't have the best retention rate. SMNC tried that four times already and always failed. You are just wasting chances by doing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. Maybe if they get all the bugs ironed out by Christmas, we may see it hit the Steam seasonal sales, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I've only just gotten over the influx of newbies who joined at Halloween. I don't think I could handle all that effort and aggro again yet.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Free weekend needs be after a major patch (which is apparently arriving sometime after the new year)
  • Hurbivore7453Hurbivore7453 Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174825Members
    Oh right, I forgot to mention they should fix all the bugs first, but I mean other than that it is a good idea isn't it?
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2044344:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:04 AM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Dec 12 2012, 08:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game hasn't been out for even two months, yet you already want a free weekend while they are still squashing bugs and improving performance and thus the new-player-experience? No point getting a lot of people into the game at a point where it doesn't have the best retention rate. SMNC tried that four times already and always failed. You are just wasting chances by doing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...you do know that SMNC is a F2P game right? And SMNC failed because of its VERY punishing gameplay and general unfriendly nature concerning new players. Just not the type of game you can pick up and rely on your DM skills to succeed. It doesn't help that a fully endorsed pro already has a huge advantage over a default one.

NS2 is a bit more forgiving in that regard, but free weekends won't accomplish much unless you think 2-3 days of getting stomped is enough to get a feel for the game. A free weekend as advertising while implementing a permanent 1-map demo similar to ETQW in conjunction to at least a 50% sale is the best solution in my opinion . Obviously wait until performance doesn't, for the lack of a better word, suck so people don't think this is an unpolished piece of crap.

I personally would not have bought NS2 if my buddy wasn't so gung-ho about it, and I would have a very unfavorable impression of the game if tried on a free weekend. Though hey that's just me.
  • nailertnnailertn Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2044344:date=Dec 12 2012, 05:04 AM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Dec 12 2012, 05:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game hasn't been out for even two months, yet you already want a free weekend while they are still squashing bugs and improving performance and thus the new-player-experience? No point getting a lot of people into the game at a point where it doesn't have the best retention rate. SMNC tried that four times already and always failed. You are just wasting chances by doing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sooo the game is good enough for release, just not good enough for people to see before their money is in our pocket... ?
  • zeqzeq Join Date: 2012-02-14 Member: 145493Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2045119:date=Dec 13 2012, 01:00 PM:name=nailertn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nailertn @ Dec 13 2012, 01:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sooo the game is good enough for release, just not good enough for people to see before their money is in our pocket... ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The people who are playing it now enjoy it despite its minor flaws, and understand they will be fixed eventually. Those who hesitate to buy the game are those who might lose interest if they encounter bugs. The game needs to be in the best condition possible to present itself to those groups. In addition, the game has just recently been released. Doing a free weekend shortly after release could make the game look like not enough people are playing it, and not many people want to buy a dying game.
    Doing a free weekend after the content patch next year sounds like a great idea. The game will have a lot of new stuff to introduce to people, so the edge veterans will have over new players will be lessened due to both learning new content. It will also be at a time where an influx of new players would be welcomed to support the costs of more development, without looking like grubbing for new players to save their game. Furthermore it will show new players that what they are buying is not completed package: they will be getting something with a continuous flow of improvement.
  • Hurbivore7453Hurbivore7453 Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174825Members
    To point out the community in NS2 is pretty nice, and I believe veterans like me are willing to help out the rookies all the time. So I'm pretty sure that in a F2P weekend, we would could all try to teach the rookies.
  • zeqzeq Join Date: 2012-02-14 Member: 145493Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2045308:date=Dec 13 2012, 07:23 PM:name=Hurbivore7453)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hurbivore7453 @ Dec 13 2012, 07:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To point out the community in NS2 is pretty nice, and I believe veterans like me are willing to help out the rookies all the time. So I'm pretty sure that in a F2P weekend, we would could all try to teach the rookies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A very good point. I am sure whenever UWE decides to do a free weekend Hugh will be reminding everyone to help out the new players and make sure everyone has a good time, and all of us veterans will be eager to do just that.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Good idea to save it until a couple more patches I think.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    Personally I think its a shame NS 1 doesn't work with any of the SDK kits and requires half life (I think it even requires the old half life not the remade source version too).

A free play weekend would be good mainly because of certain youtubers doing videos about it recently and people then being able to try might push them the last bit over into wanting the game.