Worst. Server browser. Ever.

Comments

• Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    Natural Selection 2 ‏@NS2
    @subtlepatterns we are working on some server browser improvements now, to sneak them into a patch soon!

stop complaining now they are working on it :)
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    This is nothing, you should have seen it about 10 patches ago. But while were speaking, please add a stop refresh button so servers sorted by player number dont keep jumping all over the place.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    It is known. - Expect improvments somewhere down the line.
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    The WORST server browser EVER..

Way to hyperbolize buddy... Its much better than alot ive seen, but not as good as some. Adding the change to the server full, and its a pretty great one.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well, there's changing coming.

My personal wish list:
    - Reload and Refresh buttons (i.e differentiate the two)
    - Filter only favorite servers
    - Modded servers visible by default. (Surely the yellow colour is enough...)
    - Ability to stop refreshing/reloading
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Hey guys, we appreciate the feedback and suggestions. We agree - the browser could use a lot of work. We'll do our best to fix it up ASAP, after we fix some more urgent issues. There are only so many of us programmers to go around :)

PS. NanoGrid is frikkin awesome.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    could we get our filter settings saved as well. Kinda annoying to have filter modded on by default all the time.
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It also does not fetch me beer or fix me snacks, nor does it remind me it's 2am and I need to be at work by 6am
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    No doubt that the server browser is very rough around the edges and I used to wonder why they didn't just use the Steam server browser, especially a few builds ago when it was really bad (thank goodness for menumod!). But now I have a lot of hope that they may surpass the Steam server browser. One thing I really like that the Steam server browser doesn't have is the server performance column which let you stay away from under-performing servers.

I think I remember Hugh or one of the Devs mentioning that Andi (Sewlek) was working on it and he's really whipped it into shape in a short amount time so I have faith in him.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004175:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:41 PM:name=neilm86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neilm86 @ Nov 1 2012, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004175"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please use:

<a href="http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/" target="_blank">http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/</a>

until server browser issues are resolved, you can browse and connect to servers via this link.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that server browser is even worse.
  • m42m42 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147923Members
    The server list was one of the last things worked on because everyone in beta used <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113246" target="_blank">"Menu Mod" </a> so no one really complained about it till the consistency check went in! There were a few different changes made but nothing major where menu mod became obsolete. It was just simply better. Sadly, the server browser they have now is the best version of what they had so far, but i will be sad until menu mod comes back or they make a better server browser. I hate having to refresh any of the servers.
  • CrusherCrusher Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156083Members
    the nanogrid server browser always kills my firefox.. . that's unusable for me:P
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005494:date=Nov 2 2012, 01:09 AM:name=Crusher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crusher @ Nov 2 2012, 01:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the nanogrid server browser always kills my firefox.. . that's unusable for me:P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Same. It gives me some script errors and then hangs everything quite badly.
  • Trance420Trance420 Join Date: 2010-03-31 Member: 71135Members
    we just need these buttons "pause" "refresh" "join" for server browser
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I don't know, Battlefield 2 v1.0 had a pretty awful sever browser.
  • PhadePhade Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161376Members
    + Add a filter for locked/passworded servers.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005918:date=Nov 1 2012, 10:56 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Nov 1 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know, Battlefield 2 v1.0 had a pretty awful sever browser.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bad Company 2 didn't have a fully functional and non-buggy server browser after an entire month.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2005932:date=Nov 2 2012, 06:11 AM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 2 2012, 06:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bad Company 2 didn't have a fully functional and non-buggy server browser after an entire month.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    On the other hand, Battlelog might have one of the most effective server browsers I've not seen since the days of All Seeing Eye. You can see all the game and server rules, set up filters exactly how you want, and even clicking on a server will automatically reping it for updated information.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005939:date=Nov 1 2012, 10:17 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 1 2012, 10:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the other hand, Battlelog might have one of the most effective server browsers I've not seen since the days of All Seeing Eye. You can see all the game and server rules, set up filters exactly how you want, and even clicking on a server will automatically reping it for updated information.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, it's also made by an industry juggernaut who has turned it into a fully fledged service for all of their foreseen games.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2005946:date=Nov 2 2012, 06:22 AM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 2 2012, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep, it's also made by an industry juggernaut who has turned it into a fully fledged service for all of their foreseen games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah but you say that like we haven't been using server browsers for the last <i>n</i> years and that they pioneered something revolutionary. You'd think it would be one of those things that, by now, you can expect a pretty standard feature set in. We're all PC gamers, we all have seen games with godawful server browsers and always thought about features that we consider must-haves. That NS2 shipped with a server browser which is lacking almost every single basic feature is rather embarrassing. You can't even sort out passworded servers.

This isn't like I'm complaining about some obscure feature, the server browser is quite literally the welcome mat for the entire game, to have it be buggy, slow, and missing almost everything you can possibly think of, should be priority A #1 behind fixing the critical bugs.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2005424:date=Nov 2 2012, 10:05 AM:name=kast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kast @ Nov 2 2012, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It also does not fetch me beer or fix me snacks, nor does it remind me it's 2am and I need to be at work by 6am<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would be outstanding. I'm going to bug Brian until this is added.
  • beaglebeagle Join Date: 2010-12-04 Member: 75469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah server browser is a bit of a shocker, lucky you only need it once or twice per session.

Really though guys @ UWE. Stop re-inventing the wheel; the Steam server browser is *excellent*. You guys should look at well established things that work more often..:p (see ns1 lol)

The single worst thing about it is that delay when you double click to join a server, that alone really takes the jam out of my donut.

In closing, server browsers are a "solved problem" for PC gaming, many great examples to "get inspired" by UWE.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004256:date=Nov 1 2012, 06:56 AM:name=Turbine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Turbine @ Nov 1 2012, 06:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only if the client thinks a slot is free, if not you get placed in a waiting list. Just click one quickly after a refresh.

I find this serverlist a huge step up from the previous one used, but I agree that it could be better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem isn't so much that this happens. The problem is that it does a somewhat significant loading process BEFORE it happens. It shouldn't let me sit and wait while loading before it figures out there isn't space in the server. The cost to refresh the status of a single server is basically nothing.

What is most likely happening is servers are not marking their slots as reserved at the appropriate time. As soon as the client sends a message to the server saying "ok, I'm going to be trying to connect now" the server should mark their spot as filled. This should take place before the client starts loading anything. If the client cannot mark the server spot as reserved, it should not attempt to load the game.

I know the wait isn't TOO long, about 7 seconds or so, but it's still silly. There shouldn't be any wait time when I attempt to join a server before it figures out weather there's actually space for me or not. It shouldn't let me start joining when there's no space.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005950:date=Nov 2 2012, 01:25 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 2 2012, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah but you say that like we haven't been using server browsers for the last <i>n</i> years and that they pioneered something revolutionary. You'd think it would be one of those things that, by now, you can expect a pretty standard feature set in. We're all PC gamers, we all have seen games with godawful server browsers and always thought about features that we consider must-haves. That NS2 shipped with a server browser which is lacking almost every single basic feature is rather embarrassing. You can't even sort out passworded servers.

This isn't like I'm complaining about some obscure feature, the server browser is quite literally the welcome mat for the entire game, to have it be buggy, slow, and missing almost everything you can possibly think of, should be priority A #1 behind fixing the critical bugs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, but what we are saying is that Unknown Worlds is an indie development team, and this is one of these things that tends to get thrown in at the end of a development cycle (because it's boring to develop, it's not the actual game). Option menus are the same thing. How hard is it really to look at a gold-src game and copy that? Yet over and over again you consistantly see games come out with ###### half finished option menus. It's not that it's hard to figure out what they SHOULD look like, it's that it's developmentally time consuming, and it's not as fun to make as the game.

This phenomena considered. The NS2 options menu is really nice, other then the potential problem of being unable to bind the mousewheel (which may have been intentional actually). The server browser isn't awesome, but to be honest it's a lot better than many other first release server browsers I've seen.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, nanogrid is totally borked. I had trouble with it before there were 1,000,000 servers, but now it just hangs.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    I utterly refute the assertion that NS2 has the worst server browser ever, that distinction belongs to any game built on gamespy.
    NS2 server browser while doesn't have all the bells at whistles does at least work instead of just bursting into flames if you dare click the refresh button.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    Sort of related to my previous post; Seems gamespy's new tactic for sucking hard while failing to make money is to shut games master servers down and hold them to ransom for rent rises of several thousand percent over what devs were paying them to keep the servers up.

Sooooooooo glad UWE did not farm out the browser and master servers to that bunch of comedians.
  • ServilcatServilcat Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4897Members
    That web based one looks interesting but takes forever and keeps crashing my firefox.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    i would not rate nanogrid but, forget about firefox, please.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2012
    From the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122598" target="_blank">Technical Support forum/KNOWN ISSUES AND POSSIBLE FIXES, Another collection topic.</a> topic

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/</a>
    <a href="http://ns2stats.org/server/index" target="_blank">http://ns2stats.org/server/index</a>
    <a href="http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/index.php" target="_blank">http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/index.php</a> - only shows IP addresses, to manually connect, open the console with ~ and type "connect 123.123.123.123" and hit enter to connect
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120313" target="_blank">Camron's server browser tool</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->