Just some thoughts on complaint posts

phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">(re: complaints on the forums)</div>I want to touch on a couple of subjects here;

<u>Refunds</u>

There have been posts where people are asking for refunds because they can't run the game "right now" - there are a couple of things to bear in mind;

1) it would help if you could post your PC specs so we can take an educated guess at expected performance
2) connecting to servers / server browser performance - this, I think, is primarily a Steam issue - and in some rare cases, your actual router hardware might have issues that are beyond the devs control. Try changing your MaxPing in the Steam settings, this resolves most of the issues and gets you going. Also see the tech support forum for more info.

<u>"The devs won't talk to us / ignore us"</u>

Please, seriously, UWE is <b>THE MOST OPEN DEV I KNOW OF</b> - you've seen their forums, twitter feed, facebook page, their <b>LIVE</b> Q&A sessions, the Developer Tracker... I mean come on - does EA do that ? Blizzard ? - NO.

Either you're plain stupid or too ignorant to realise you're being an arse, but UWE are working damn hard keeping in touch with their players and fanbase, and don't deserve anyone doing them the disservice of accusing them of ignoring them.

They're human - they have lives too, and they're such a small team, it's not always possible to get a personal reply from a particular dev - don't take this as ignoring you, they're just damn busy doing anything and everything they can to make NS2 the best they can possibly make it.

It takes time though. The more they have to sit on forums responding to a well documented issue elsewhere in the forums that you couldn't be bothered to look for, the less chance they have of fixing it for you if it really is something that isn't covered elsewhere.

<u>Cheaters</u>

Some people are good - very good. This doesn't mean there's necessarily any cheating involved, but they can spot you at a distance and aim accurately. A fast PC, a high resolution, and a large screen helps in this regard. Aiming is the most important thing though.

...and I can't :-} - if you see me in game, I'll guarantee my kill/death ratio will be abysmal, and almost never better than even.

That said, it's a team game, and I'll regularly sacrifice myself for the greater good of the team. I know my aim is terrible, but if I can distract the other side while my more skillful teammates can wreak havoc on their base, I'm all for it !

There has been talk of a specific "hack" being available, but we're awaiting information on it. I think it's a DLL hack in a graphics card driver, but that's likely to be hard stopping people exploiting if it doesn't relate to the actual game code. I think ASUS has a similar "hack" in their graphics drivers back in about 1999/2000.

<u>Note:</u>

This is not an official UWE post, but I <i>am</i> a playtester, and will help people where I can. Unfortunately, I'm human too, and can't get to every post in every sub-forum.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Why not post these in the threads that concern them instead of making a new one? There's plenty of complaining/cheating/ignoring threads around here for you to pick from.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    yep

nice im "better than you" thread
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    A nice thread with the right topics mentioned. +1
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I thought a separate post from the complaints might have the people with "issues" stop and think for a moment before they mouth-off.

I didn't intend this to come across as an "I'm better than you" thread, it's a game, that's all.

You can rant all you like, I just thought I'd try to put together a considered response.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    The odds of the "right people" seeing this thread tomorrow are far lower than the odds of them seeing posts in the threads these complaints concern.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    :) At least we have a forum link to paste for people so they might be directed in the right direction.
    With the cheating side of it, they will keep popping up, there's nothing that can be done about those threads really until first person spec is in place with recording the proof.
    But yeah good to know someone out there who is tech savy who might be able to help anyone having problemos.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Are we complaining about complaining now?

Cool.

In all seriousness though, it is true that some of us are running the game on a smooth FPS and have been playing all though beta, competitively and before in NS1. Its likely there will be people who appear to be cheating because they are simply that good.

Also UWE needs to post their twitch tv sessions on the front page so people realise how open they are. I often forget about the Q&A sessions. It is pretty awesome though.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    A redundant thread. Anyone who's a reasonable adult with a well adjusted head will know that the odds of a game not functioning are most likely because of YOUR hardware, and it takes experimentation and fact-checking before stating otherwise. The inane amount of elitist circle-jerking that occasionally occurs (with a hefty amount of dev bashing to boot) are people who are helplessly "passionate".
  • runnerrunner Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173304Members
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited December 2012
    Forums are like this for a lot of games. Seriously BL2, CS:GO, Dota. Always people complaining and trying to push their one issue for the devs to fix. However, sometimes these issues are important reports of bugs and other changes that break the game so it's not all bad. I'm sure the devs are used to it and still keep their focus on what they feel is important to work on. They do not have a lot of manpower but still promote Q&A sessions which not a lot of companies do frequently. I would say the devs are a little too responsive but I appreciate the support they give this game on the forums as it clarifies a lot of things.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    you win my attention. you win
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    people are selfish, people are stupid, games developers have to lower themselves to their level, and eventually that means dumb, selfish games. Sigh.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2044121:date=Dec 12 2012, 10:01 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Dec 12 2012, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044121"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->people are selfish, people are stupid, games developers have to lower themselves to their level, and eventually that means dumb, selfish games. Sigh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and Then you get games like QWOP !! :P
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "A redundant thread. Anyone who's a reasonable adult " ... I know during the 2000s we were mostly 25+, this has changed.

Did you realise the *most common* form of IT a youth interacts with first these days is a wireless mobile communications device?
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    edited December 2012
    At least this isn't the Diablo 3 forum... Holy 13 year old whiners batman.

Seriously though, this forum is a breath of fresh air after playing that game.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    yeah, nothing is going to stop posts like those. They are in all game forums. Lots of refund requests, lots of now you lost a customer rants (usually for monthly subscription games), the you broke the game by doing whatever, and of course the I'm going to go play blah blah other game now!
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    "open" doesn't necessarily mean "communicate"
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    Refunds : Take it up with steam

UWE doesnt talk to me! : UWE is one of the better devs out there on community interaction. If you think this is bad, go play some EA games for a while.

Cheaters : COD broke the internet for gamers, its never going to get better because every sees cheaters everywhere now weather or not they are cheating. Welcome to the internet forever. My suggestion, ignore them... people who whine about cheating will jump from game to game looking for a cheat proof program until they either give up looking or just get good enough to become a cheater themselves.