The Zombies are taking over!

pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Zombie players taking slots!</div>Since build 231 'Zombie Players' on the servers have become very prevalent. Build 233 has exacerbated this problem, causing server operators to restart their server mutiple times throughout the day so gamers can connect to their servers.

Clients will see 23/24 or 20/24 or even 18/24 players on a server, but the server will tell them it is full when really it is not. There are so many obvious bugs in this game that are extremely frustrating to deal with, and when I saw that no solution was made in build 233 I have to wonder if UWE plays its own game or the playtesters even play the game outside of playtests. If they did they would realize these obvious bugs. I hope that is not the case but when a couple builds go by with such obvious problems it makes you wonder and doubt the faith you have in UWE.

Comments

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    So you want to have to most played server worldwide and cant reach this cause this?
    This is frustrating for sure.

I restart my servers 2 times the day btw and had no problems so far with "zombies".
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Never heard of this happening, not in the last 50 builds at least. Are you running these servers with the issues? Or just speculating as to what may be happening.
  • BladeszBladesz Join Date: 2012-12-03 Member: 174080Members
    I have seen this issue when some one crashes, I usually just kick them.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    How long do they remain Bladesz? I find the server normally kicks them within 2 minutes. Actually they get timed out to be precise.
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043877:date=Dec 11 2012, 01:09 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Dec 11 2012, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How long do they remain Bladesz? I find the server normally kicks them within 2 minutes. Actually they get timed out to be precise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you know who it is and you can kick them they are removed, but sometimes you do not know because everybody will be playing in the server with no AFK's yet zombie slots take up real slots. To fix this problem it will require a server restart. The problem can return immediately though.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    As a server operator and a player, I have never seen this happen on our or any other server. People don't realize that just because they're suffering from a problem, it doesn't mean that many other people are suffering from the same problem, and a developer can't fix a problem they don't know about. And even if they do know about it, they have to prioritize it against issues that are happening to a greater number of players.

For example, which bug would you classify as more important: a bug suffered by 1% of players that made the game unplayable, or a bug suffered by 10% of players which severely negatively impacted the game playability without rendering it unplayable? Now imagine that you only have time to fix one of these bugs by the next patch. It's not an easy decision. You've got x man-hours of time available, and 100x potential man-hours of bug fixes to make.
  • BladeszBladesz Join Date: 2012-12-03 Member: 174080Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043877:date=Dec 11 2012, 01:09 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Dec 11 2012, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How long do they remain Bladesz? I find the server normally kicks them within 2 minutes. Actually they get timed out to be precise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was actually able to re-create this bug (not sure as of this build) I found alt tabbing a number of times in a row would cause the game to crash. probably 1/3 times It would show me in the server and I was unable to reconnect due to authentication. One night I had crashed and went to bed, the next morning it still showed me in the server and had been there for 9 hours. I was still unable to join due to authentication so I kicked Zombie me and I was able to join once again.

I don't think this is a glaring problem, just my input on the topic at hand.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Strange, every time I have crashed in game I am able to rejoin after 2min when the server drops me for no reply. I have not had this occur on the most recent build yet but at least in previous builds I was able to get back in as expected.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    Usually when a client crashes they stay on the server, and take up a slot still (shows as 20/20). Usually they take 2 minutes to time out but if the process still runs on your client, you can stay connected forever (check your steam to see if your ingame still). As for the server having slots that are un-populatable, i would say that sounds more like a mod/corrupted file issue, as ive never seen that happen to any server.