I want a refund

elverelver Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174768Members
I really loved the original Natural Selection, so I purchased the second one on Steam as soon as I could for a full price of 22.99 euros on November 1st. Since then Steam tells me I've logged a total of 59 minutes in the game for one simple reason: the game just does not bloody work.

Whenever I try to connect to a server one of two things happens. Either the screen goes black after the precaching phase and I get thrown into the main menu with a generic "timeout" error or I find myself in the ready room, but with a red icon indicating that my connection has dropped. I am unable to continue further from thereon. All other online games inside and outside my Steam library work fine. The ping is fine. I'm not on wireless. Windows Firewall is off. I've tried every trick recommended online. None of them work.

I've been patient, because I really want to support this game. I've waited for updates, but none of them have fixed the issue. I've opted into the beta, but the problems persist and there's nobody playing on the beta servers anyway. I think I'm done with the waiting and would like to have a refund now. How can I get one?

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited December 2012
    Contact Steam Support then. They don't offer refunds often, but there's an occasional success story dotted around the internet.

<a href="https://support.steampowered.com/" target="_blank">https://support.steampowered.com/</a> for their FAQs

<a href="https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php" target="_blank">https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php</a> to contact them directly.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    The short answer is <a href="https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8360-wejc-2625#refund" target="_blank">you can't.</a>

Are all your drivers up to date?
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Have you ever attempted to fix what might be a problem with your computer? Have you tried posting in the tech support forum?
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    Are you a Sky Broadband customer??
  • Ellen RipleyEllen Ripley Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167803Members
    While Steam's general policy is no refunds, people have received refunds in the event that a game has proven unplayable. Contact Steam customer service and see what they say.

Wish I could help you with the connection issue, but I've not encountered or heard anything of it.
  • JediPhreaKJediPhreaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167028Members
    Any chance you could post your computer info and details about video drivers etc.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2043810:date=Dec 11 2012, 09:20 PM:name=Ellen Ripley)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ellen Ripley @ Dec 11 2012, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While Steam's general policy is no refunds, people have received refunds in the event that a game has proven unplayable. Contact Steam customer service and see what they say.

Wish I could help you with the connection issue, but I've not encountered or heard anything of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I even got a refund on a game due to goodwill from the customer support. When I bought it, I didn't realize it was the cut version. And since I didn't even downloaded it at the time of requesting the refund, they made an exception. Got the amount into my Steam wallet to buy another game from it.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    I don't think you should get a refund just because you're too damned lazy to find out what your problem is.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    If you check the tech support thread, there are a few potential fixes for people having issues connecting to servers - while there's a general gripe about the update speed, many of the issues are actually caused by Steam, and in a few more rare examples, your router might not be working correctly.

First, try changing your "MaxPing" in the Steam settings to 500 (I suspect this will solve your particular problem), other than that, can you have a quick look at the threads in there about problems with connecting, which might help isolate whether it's a hardware issue with your router.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Welcome to PC gaming. If I had a nickle for every game I bought that I had to troubleshoot, or didn't work immediately on launch. I'd have about a dollar or so by now (yeah, I know, not super impressive, the point is, it's a thing you have to accept)
  • LucianLucian Join Date: 2004-01-09 Member: 25193Members, Constellation
    You could try this: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117005" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=117005</a>
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    Post it in the Tech Support section. <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->Be nice. --Zaggy<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    try starting your own server and see if you can join it, this might narrow down the errors a little. hopefully it will seperate any connection issues out of any computer issues.

hit play - > start server and just start any map and see if it works
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I bought this game and had to wait years for it to be playable on my older machine. Then during beta the patches broke it again even for my monster rig and I couldn't play till just before release. Ahhhh PC gaming. You're a cruel but delightful mistress.
  • grazrgrazr Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043851:date=Dec 11 2012, 08:47 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Dec 11 2012, 08:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I even got a refund on a game due to goodwill from the customer support. When I bought it, I didn't realize it was the cut version. And since I didn't even downloaded it at the time of requesting the refund, they made an exception. Got the amount into my Steam wallet to buy another game from it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This actually happens a lot. Once you install it, that's the copy activated. A couple acquaintances of mine have purchased games on steam that they later realised they couldn't or wouldn't be able to run for various reasons. None of the copies were installed and each one was refunded.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "I bought this game and had to wait years for it to be playable on my older machine. Then during beta the patches broke it again ..."

Brought ....then years till BETA?
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    well, yeah. preorders started in 2009, then beta hit in 2010 (beta lasted almost 2 years)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Phasing to Tech Support.